1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Same sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Emma Pollard, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Having written a couple of articles about this, I was wondering what people really thought about the subject. Do you think that same sex marriage should be made legal?
    I know this will open up a debate and I know of the religious reasons against it, I am therefore looking for OTHER arguments for and against.
    PLEASE remember that this is based on opinion and nobodies opinion is right or wrong so please dont be offensive.

Emma Pollard, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  2. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I personally am in favor of it. Then again, I'm also in favor of cousin marriage, polygamy, and marriage to farm animals. Its personal liberty. Do with it what you will, just don't ask me not to tease you about it.

Obamanation, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  3. robyries

robyries Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    no,... this could be disaster for human kind if this continues form year to year, cause no other generation...

robyries, Feb 22, 2013 IP
    urock_ltd likes this.
  4. Emma Pollard

Emma Pollard Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you suggesting that, if same sex marriage became legal there would be no hetrosexul marriage?
    Just because I could marry a woman doesnt mean that I will, and lets not forget that Gay children are born to hetrosexual couples.

Emma Pollard, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  5. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't really mind it. It creeps me the hell out, but when you get down to it, it is the right of pursuit of happiness and I like to mind my own business. Just like I don't care what liberals think of my gun collection, I shouldn't care who people want to marry.

r3dt@rget, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  6. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was against it until I realised I was supporting religious dogma the same as a Muslim's jihad. Now i'm totally for it, not that I would go there myself. I think marriage itself is a trap I don't want nor need. I am in a commited (gay) relationship. I also have 4 kids (now grown), 3 of which have kids of their own. My last beautiful grandaughter arrived just 3 weeks ago.

Bushranger, Feb 22, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  7. Emma Pollard

Best Answers:
    @Bushranger, Congratulations on the birth of your new Grandaughter!

Emma Pollard, Feb 23, 2013 IP
    Bushranger likes this.
  8. kingofking

kingofking Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Ha ha! Sir, I misread the last line as beautiful daughter instead of grand daughter and I was surprised that you are having a daughter at this age and then realized that I over looked it :)

kingofking, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  9. Emma Pollard

Best Answers:
    @kingofking, whats your thoughts on same sex marriage? :)

Emma Pollard, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  10. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

One day you will be old enough to realize that having many guns is not a solution to small pen*s size.:)

gworld, Feb 24, 2013 IP
    Emma Pollard likes this.
  11. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Yeah.. . . And next the Obama administration will speak out in favor of this crap..

All things that should really help us as a society.

grpaul, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  12. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    On the positive side, it cannot make it worse. ;)

gworld, Feb 24, 2013 IP
    Corwin likes this.
  13. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Obama will not speak out in favor of this crap any more than he will speak out in favor of legalization of marijuana. Sadly, the spokesperson of the liberal party is not a huge fan of liberty. When it comes to foreign wars, foreign assassinations, more laws, more rules, and bigger prisons, Obama is indistinguishable from big government Republicans. It is one of the very large reasons the Tea Party gets support from liberals.

Obamanation, Feb 24, 2013 IP
  14. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly, who gives a crap. Let two people do whatever they want together as long as they are consenting. If a same sex couple marry (or join in a life long relationship), that's their business. People should do what they are comfortable with, live their life and be happy.

(FWIW, my views are as a happily married heterosexual male. Happily and married in the same sentence? :D )

Why? Just look at the history; homosexuality has been around for hundreds (even thousands) of years. Disaster hasn't struck due to that yet and has had long enough to.

ryan_uk, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  15. onlypmme

onlypmme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am against it. Though, same sex relationship is prevalent for thousands of years, but nobody ever thought of same sex marriage. If these people desire, they can continue their relationship till the end without any matrimonial bond.
    I think, such marriage will set a bad example for the society we live.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    onlypmme, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  16. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:

What a bad example?

gworld, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  17. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Are you so sure? What is marriage, but a union of two people. I think you will find there have been same sex unions hundreds of years ago (if not even more). Sorry to shatter your illusion.

Bad example? Do elaborate.

ryan_uk, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  18. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If marriage wasn't treated as a joke by the majority of heterosexuals then people against SSM would have a point. I used to believe there should be a special name for the coupling of man and woman who can have a child and that 'union' should be forever. Imagine how much more you can accomplish when you have someone there who helps you get stuff done. I thought an agreement to couple with a partner forever, through sickness and health etc is a serious and wonderful thing to accomplish. Choosing a life-long partner who would be by your side, helping through thick and thin gives a certain sense of security. A partner who brings out the best in you as you do to them.

The fact is marriage often isn't taken seriously, divorces are handed out willy-nilly on the flimsiest of pretexts and that alone makes a mockery of the so-called 'institution' of marriage. Work hard to build up a good life for your family and low and behold it all gets taken away, just like that.

Today I see not one iota of difference between any consenting adults getting 'married' as long as it is taken seriously. I personally know a gay couple can raise very well-adjusted kids, in fact probably much better than many straight couples can.

Bushranger, Feb 26, 2013 IP
    Emma Pollard, Obamanation and ryan_uk like this.
  19. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And a divorce rate of 50% is not a bad example for our children?

r3dt@rget, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  20. onlypmme

onlypmme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Different countries have different set of family values. Some countries are very liberal on sex, but there are also countries where open discussion or talking about sex is still not looked upon as a good thing. I don't say they are fanatics or very orthodox, but their tradition and custom do not allow it. I, myself is liberal, but I also value my tradition and against same sex marriage. After 10-20 years, the situation might be different, but today, in my country such marriage will set a poor example. I have also said that same sex people can continue their relationship happily till the end without any matrimonial bond, and I will feel happy for them.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
    onlypmme, Feb 26, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.