1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many points out of 10 do you give yourself for your time management, and why?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by malcsimm, Feb 21, 2013.

?

How many point out of 10 do you give yourself for your time management, and why?

1. 1

6.7%
  2. 2

6.7%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

16.7%
  5. 5

6.7%
  6. 6

13.3%
  7. 7

6.7%
  8. 8

13.3%
  9. 9

13.3%
  10. 10

16.7%
    How many point out of 10 do you give yourself for your time management, and why?

Most of the people I talk to about time management seem to have a fairly low opinion of their own time management skills. Which is a shame! I wonder if it's the same on DP.

It would be good to see how you score yourself, plus hear how you think manage your time well, and in which areas you wish you could make improvements.

Malc

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    malcsimm, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    When I was still single I could manage my time way better - LOL. Now married with kids - sometimes life can get hectic. I think I am still doing pretty good with my time management (7).

qwikad.com, Feb 21, 2013 IP
    malcsimm likes this.
  3. malcsimm

malcsimm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi quikad

7 is pretty good :)

So what's your top tip for time management? What was one thing that made you most satisfied with managing your time?

And congrats on the wife and kids ;-)

Malc

malcsimm, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  4. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it is very hard to manage your time when you have a kid, and working from home is extremely difficult w/ a toddler in the house!! But, this is why you need to put in the effort to manage your time better. I use Google Calendar on my phone to keep organized.

cronik, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  5. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I gave myself a 9 by the way. :) I go to school at the Univ of Phoenix, have a toddler, work from home.. never time to just relax!!

cronik, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  6. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Hi Cronik - wow, that is a challenge! Working from home and a toddler in the house! Been there, done that: we now have grandchildren - and the thing with them is, you get to give them back! LOL

So, you use your calendar to organise your time? Yeah - a lot of people use their calendar for that. It does involve some rewriting - or date changing of items - but can work if you don't have too many.

I now reserve my calendar just for things which I HAVE to do on a certain day or at a certain time. I use Evernote for the rest :) I give more detail elsewhere on DP if you'd like to check it out.

How many to-dos do you have at any one time? 10, 20, 50, 100? (Obviously, using you calendar wouldn't work if you had 100 to-dos!)

Cheers and good luck, Malc

malcsimm, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  7. contentdiva

contentdiva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've always been a stickler for time. It's so precious! Before you know it, the day’s over. I gave myself a 9. Why? Well, at the end of most days I'm happy with the work I would have accomplished. I start out early in the morning and slay ALL my dragons before breakfast.

I prioritize a LOT. So, every evening before I complete my day I write a list of all the things I need to get done and order them by priority. The next morning (early) I get started and don't stop until I complete the most urgent tasks. By mid-morning, I'm done, at least with the urgent things on my list. That way I won't feel guilty if I feel like goofing off later in the day.

It used to be difficult to avoid distractions, but I've learned to stay away from social networking, emails and forums while I'm in work mode.

I work at home, homeschool my son, teach part time in the late evenings, manage a youth group, manage my home, and get my son to ALL his extra-curricular activities (football, swimming, music, club, cycling).

contentdiva, Feb 22, 2013 IP
    FreeFun4Every1 and malcsimm like this.
  8. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Gosh, contentdiva, you deserve a medal!

That's brilliant slaying your dragons before mid-morning - I take my hat off to you.

Getting prepared the night before has to be a huge plus too. Kudos :)

And staying in "work mode" at prime times.

Wow - you are an example to us all and a great example to your son.

How many projects are you primarily working on, online? And if you don't mind sharing, what are they? Are you generating income and is it growing, if that is not too personal? I'd love to hear anything you don't mind sharing and, with your brilliant work ethic, I am sure others would be able to relate to your message more and maybe take it to heart themselves.

Best wishes, Malc :)

9. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Staying flexible. Being able to change the game plan as soon as you realize the old methods don't work. That in turn helps me utilize my time fairly efficiently. In other words, I do not waste too much of my time on something that doesn't wok.

qwikad.com, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  10. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that, qwikad.

Can you give an example of when you did this?

The challenge here is: some unsuccessful marketers don't realise that things have changed and keep on flogging a dead horse. And others change methods every 2-3 weeks, never giving anything a good chance of succeeding before they switch.

What would your advice be on sticking with something long enough for it to work, but not too long after it has lost it's power to succeed?

And which method of making money would you say is worth pursuing right now?

Thanks, Malc
    :)

11. kingofking

kingofking Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would rate myself only "5" as I tend to postpone things and I do not do anything planned which is pretty bad and I have realized it few months back :( :( I work in a IT company where I would spend almost 11 hours and I left no time for my personal life. I did not even realize this for the past 3 years and only when I did not get anything out of my career, I started realizing that I have lost my personal space and friends as well :( and I decided not to spend more than 8.5 hours at work and its been nearly 3 months now and yes ! I have now stroke the right balance between my professional and personal life. I have started managing my time well in office by reaching office on time, starting the work early and reduced my unwanted chit chat with my colleagues and I am now able to wind up my office work within 8.5 hours :)

This way, I am now left with more time for my personal things and I have gained a peace of mind now :) I have rated me 5 since I am still improving and I have ample scope for improvement!

For people sitting long time at office, please be aware that one day you will realize that you have nothing with you except your career which will no way make you happy without your personal happiness and your loved ones! Please do have a right balance between your personal and professional life !

kingofking, Feb 22, 2013 IP
    malcsimm likes this.
  12. jacksarlo

jacksarlo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think 10 for me. I might not be very good to create videos (english is not my first language) but I think I have a solid plan I follow accurately.

jacksarlo, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  13. qwikad.com

Best Answers:
    Ultimately it's up to a person to decide how much time he/she wants to spend on something before deeming it inefficient. Depending on the circumstances, I roughly give 1-3 months before I know for sure if something is or is not going to work.

Anything that you have proprietary rights on is worth pursuing. Affiliate programs are great, but in a long run you have to have a piece of something that you can call your own (your own e-book, software, products, services, etc. etc.).

qwikad.com, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  14. contentdiva

contentdiva Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Malc, some hard lessons came before I learned those "good" lessons. I'm working on several projects right now. Although it's not nearly as much as I used to. I have a few affiliate sites, some of them took a huge hit last year, but thankfully a few are still standing strong. I have informational sites that I update regularly, primary income on those is Adsense. These survived Google updates.

I also write for a few clients and I'm finally working on my first product.Target completion time: April 12th. I used to run a busy virtual assistant practice, but I got tired of the demands on my time and gave it up. It helped that I had good affiliate income coming in. :)

The key thing for me, if anyone wants to learn, is focus. Working at home is no walk in the park. There are so many ways to get distracted. Even if you manage to tune your family out, there's the distractions online to confront. There are programs that will block access to the internet for a set period of time. Freedom is one of them. It really helped me to focus. Now I don't need it because I already developed the habit of blocking out everything.

I guess it could be subconscious too. It's like I feel the program is there even though it isn't. I also use FocusWriter when I'm working on my eBook. It's not the best program, but I've made a lot of progress because of it. It's easy to shelve projects when there's no one or schedule to hold you accountable.

Learning and reading. I love learning new things, and I used to get caught up reading a lot of things online that before you know it, the day is over. Now I won't read anything I can't immediately put into practice. In fact I even schedule the things that I plan to learn.

Evernote is PRICELESS!!!! I saw you posted somewhere about it, and I'm in total agreement. PRICELESS...

I don't waste time doing anything that will not benefit me immediately or in the long run, simple as that. Now you made me go on and on, sigh .....

contentdiva, Feb 22, 2013 IP
    malcsimm likes this.
  15. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Haha! I get that problem too! But it's fun, just got to limit it a bit.

Thanks for your input. And yes, Evernote is so cool: especially now I use it to manage my time brilliantly.
    It's the best thing I ever did for time management.

:)

16. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Cool - thanks for fleshing that out a bit. I certainly agree that having something that is your own is a great idea. And even more so if, when you are planning your product, you also plan at least one upsell.

A great person to read on this is Jason Fladlien who has a load of good products on things like product creation. I recommend 48 Hour Report which is very comprehensive, and includes many tips on making products, and on adding an upsell - more easily than you might think.

I just found this post where two others post about 48 hour report - and you can see what they say (One is Brad Spencer who I have had long chats with a few times and he is a good guy. I dropped a comment too). There is a link to Jason's product, and it's probably the guy's aff link, but if you don't want him to have the money just Google it. LOL

Cheers

Malc

17. BusinessMaker

BusinessMaker Member

Best Answers:
    I gave myself 9 because I think I manage my time well. On the start of day,in the morning,I have plan for day to accomplish and goals to achieve. In the evening,I take time to see how much I did for whole day. I go to sleep happy,because I'm proud on myself how much I improve in just one day. Try it on this way,it is helping for me.

BusinessMaker, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  18. malcsimm

Best Answers:
    Cool. So can I assume you are aiming to make money online? If so, if you go to bed proud because of your improvements, I suppose that means you improve your income, or expect to.

If I am right on these points, would you care to share what you have found the best way in which managing your time well led to your increasing your income?

Or are you not quite at the point of making regular income yet - but maybe are optimistic that you will be there soon?

Any detail you care to share would be appreciated.

Malc :)

malcsimm, Feb 23, 2013 IP
  19. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Time management is my forte. I have to rate myself a 10. I am fortunate in that I now work for my firm out of my home. I rent office space to the company I work for. Everyone comes here in the morning then leaves later on in the day.
    I no longer have to drive to work. I also besides doing my freelance and contract work, do translating on the side from my home.
    I also find time to check the stock market, and do Forex trading and even post on DP. I have 3 PC's going at once, the phone ringing, and have clients walking in on occassion. But I get it all done without too much stress.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 23, 2013 IP
    malcsimm likes this.
  20. BusinessMaker

BusinessMaker Member

Best Answers:
    I was telling about improving my incomes and how much easier would be if you manage time well. For example when I make plan,I divide my day in a few parts.For each part I do similar things because that is faster. Imagine that you now doing one thing,next you switch to completely different thing,and then back on the first one. That is complicated and take more time than it should be. I understand that you probably have less time because you have children or grandchildren and you have to spend time with them. I hope I helped you.

BusinessMaker, Feb 23, 2013 IP