1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Dmoz will help us to get more traffic

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ramswebsolution, Dec 25, 2012.

Do you think dmoz will help website owner to get good amount of traffic? How come that is possible?

ramswebsolution, Dec 25, 2012 IP
  2. nirbanjyoti

nirbanjyoti Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,
    Dmoz really helps us to drive tergeted visitors.Once you are success with the dmoz,your website will be avaliable in all other search engine like - altavista,google ,yahoo,bing,Aol and all other search engines.So,I think dmoz is the main.

Be advised that Dmoz team checks the website manually, so once you submitted your website in Dmoz, it will take a weeks to 6 months(I think it will take more time) to index your website in search engines.

nirbanjyoti, Dec 26, 2012 IP
  3. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

UNTRUE!!!

By the time you get approved by DMOZ a few days to 10 years (to never) your site will already be indexed by every search engine on the planet.

joeventura, Dec 26, 2012 IP
    Colleen likes this.
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Stop getting your information from the ODP website, it's misleading to downright WRONG!

Google only uses the ODP for the rare times they need a description that they can not pull from a pages meta data or content...

Altavista is now powered by Yahoo, and Yahoo does not use the ODP data other than is listed in their own directory.

Bing is new and it would be insane to even think they would even bother with something so out dated... but once again fall back on it for site descriptions.

that brings us to AOL, the actual owners of DMOZ.... they are now powered by Google (see above)

Were on earth did you get your time frame from? that is far from what even they say... which is "up to two weeks or more".

Qryztufre, Dec 28, 2012 IP
  5. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think even you not get approved or listed on Dmoz. you still apprear on SEarch Engine. Where do you learn that? at school?

suwandichen13, Dec 29, 2012 IP
  6. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have several DMOZ listings and I haven't seen a single referral from any of them for a least 7-8 years.

helleborine, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  7. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Same here, my site was listed many years after being submitted, I've never seen one referral from it. Another thing is I moved by the time it was listed, so now my listing is under the wrong city, oh well I guess.

Colleen, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  8. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Colleen:

Was that a complaint?
    Had you though of visiting the erroneous category and requesting a move via its 'update URL' link at the top of the page?

jimnoble, Feb 12, 2013 IP
    Colleen likes this.
  9. joeventura

Best Answers:
    Yes you can ask for a correction at anytime, you may be pushing up daisies by the time it gets changed, but hey give it a shot, you have nothing to lose and nothing to gain either!!

Once it is corrected you can look forward to a fresh batch of no referrals, which Jim was the real point of the comment.

If a listing on DMOZ takes years and is incorrect and no one uses it once it's there, is DMOZ still as irrelevant?

The answer is yes.

The overarching point that I have tried to make for whoa so many years, is that if you can't list or reject a submission within a month, then don't bother, the data is not timeless.

joeventura, Feb 13, 2013 IP
    helleborine likes this.
  10. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice of you to offer advice, can I tell you how often you should write on here, seems like your hobby? and tell you how relevant your posts are? You seem to want to tell DMOZ editors just that about their hobby of collecting and listing sites, just like most football fans, shout all the advice from the terraces but can't even kick a ball.

Anonymously, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  11. joeventura

Best Answers:
    Happy to help, and my hobby is to shout from the terrace what a sham DMOZ is and every time you Editors stand on your high horse preaching to people about how they should behave and giving them such lip service about your website. What I want everyone to know is DMOZ provides them Nothing of any value and they should not waste their time submitting, asking questions or caring one bit about DMOZ.

And I am the furthest thing from an armchair quarterback because I have fed my family and sent my kids to college with money made from the Internet. SEO, Sales, etc. to the tune of $XXX,XXX.XX
    So as an EXPERT in the field I am saying and will continue my hobby of telling people that DMOZ is OVER and has zero value.

Keep collecting those sites!!

joeventura, Feb 15, 2013 IP
    helleborine likes this.
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    If you are an expert please give us your editor name, but you have said you are not an editor so you have no clue about how DMOZ works. That makes you a terrace football fan as far as I am concerned. Are quaterbacks a new fashion of chair?

And like all terrace fans who know nowt, your shouting affects nothing of the game. Please do continue and enjoy your hobby that has absolutely no effect on DMOZ, DMOZ continues to get hundreds of suggestions on a regular basis, continues to sign up editors for a cracking hobby, accepts reasonable ex-editors back and grows daily. Enough said.

Anonymously, Feb 16, 2013 IP
  13. speedyarticle

speedyarticle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nah...
    I don't think so as DMOZ is very busy now a days so you should try get indexing in big G.
    It will definitely help.

speedyarticle, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  14. joeventura

Best Answers:
    A cracking, crumbling hobby indeed.

I am as much an expert as you are as to the value of DMOZ, further if you were any kind of an expert you would certainly tell us how many editors there are, how many submissions are left to review?

"I know but I am not telling you" is the answer of a person that DOES NOT KNOW.

When someone submits something 10 years ago and you validate that "Be patient" is good advice to them, you are truly showing your expertise!

joeventura, Feb 19, 2013 IP
    helleborine likes this.
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Sorry to repeat myself a little, but if you have been preaching that for years and we still have new editors, new submissions and a directory of over 5 million sites whose listening to you carrying out your hobby. Now IF AS YOU SAY Dmoz is failing then the worst hobby must be talking about a failing site and no one listening. What a joke you are.

No you have no expertise in knowing anything about how DMOZ works. I have never asked anyone to be patient, ( your word to people not mine) just tell them the truth that their site will be listed when an editor volunteers to edit that section and use suggestions and NO ONE can predict how long that will be. If they want fast listing they can go pay for it, The Best of The Web offers that service, I understand (no I do not edit there, editors get paid). If they want a listing on DMOZ nothing has changed suggest the site and then forget it and one day they might come back and it's listed. If they don't want to try, that's fine don't bother, but mostly it takes a couple of minutes and most site owners who want a listing are prepared to take that shot, but as I have said many times, I would take that away and make editors find all their own sites. Many directories ask for submissions because they are one person bands, but DMOZ has thousands of editors and despite that we still don't keep up with reviewing and listing as quickly as we would like.

But this thread is about getting more traffic through DMOZ listing, that I have no idea about and no interest in. I just want to collate and categorise sites and if that brings some traffic fine and if not that's just fine too. If someone wants to use my work to search, that's fine, if not that's fine too. I had fun collecting, reviewing and listing them. And some good laughs watching people like you trying to dissuade people from offering their site and people just keep on doing it and if anything, in opinion, we receive more than we did 5 years ago. Keep me smiling keep bashing your head against the brick wall, but be careful the effects show eventually LOL.

Anonymously, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  16. joeventura

Best Answers:
    The reason people still submit sites to your blackhole is because there are so many sites like yours who keep information that is a decade old and people are stupid enough to not know its old and not relevant.

joeventura, Feb 19, 2013 IP
    helleborine likes this.
  17. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So you consider most of the people to be stupid? I wonder if all of your clients that you have made so much money from (acording to you), would be happy to hear this? A nice thing to call your clients.....

snooks, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Bit like that old Yorkshire, UK saying (slightly adapted)
    All the world is stupid except thee and me and I am a bit suspicious of thee sometimes.

Even Q, not seen for sometime, admits it gives you a back link, sounds rude to me!

Anonymously, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  19. joeventura

Best Answers:

Nice twist on my words.
    Lets used the term "grossly misinformed" I would say 98% of the people who post messages here and submit to DMOZ are doing so based on decades old information still floating around the web.

joeventura, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  20. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this statement totally Joe :) People are misinformed and people think ODP is a golden, magical link......it is in fact only a link in a directory. Nothing more and nothing less....certainly not something for webmasters to obsess about.

By the way, i didnt twist your words, you did point blank call most people stupid :(

snooks, Feb 21, 2013 IP