1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

If You Are A Good Writer, Why Not Write For Your Own Websites?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by thesickearth, Feb 10, 2013.

Also can you tell me what a good writer is ? Examples of their work? What about people who claim that they can write on any topic for a few cents a word?

thesickearth, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  2. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    Who said we don't write for own websites and miscellaneous projects?

Some people will tell you anything, what you want to hear, so they get the job. It doesn't necessarily mean they are able to deliver what they promise.

You can't judge a person solely based on their rate per word. You have to look at the writers previous work and other factors to determine if you want to hire them. Use your own judgment. Charging a high rate doesn't necessarily equal the writer is a good fit for what you need. There are many reasons why writers charge a low rate. Sometimes, the content completely sucks and is pretty much worthless. Other times, you can find a hidden gem. A good writer that for whatever reason(s) happens to be charging a low rate. You just simply can't hire a writer based on rate per word alone.

A good writer is a matter of opinion. I'm a skilled writer, but that doesn't automatically mean that you would like my work. Each writer has their own unique style.

TextServices, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  3. leachy

leachy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The other important point is that many people just enjoy writing and not the other half of creating a successful site. Designing, Marketing, Advertising and monetizing a website are all things I would rather not do.

leachy, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  4. sandarr

sandarr Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not write for my own website, I have many of them and I keep them year after year, work on them rarely, but have plans for them all when I get around to it.

Writers that claim to be able to write on any topic, in my opinion know how to use a search engine to find material to use as a reference. That is not writing, just as not everyone with a keyboard is a writer (this is a very unpopular opinion, I am sure).

I have to disagree with TextServices, in some cases you can judge by a writer’s rate what they may be able to offer. As an example, the writer that specializes can command a higher rate, because they write in the same field or same few fields every day. Hiring an American writer means that they are paying taxes so they have to be paid enough to make it worth writing. The person that writes for a profession, rather than extra spending money, will have a resume, online live samples and be able to write content, which will not only pass Copyscape, but Google’s new rules.

sandarr, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  5. hueyramone

hueyramone Active Member

Best Answers:
    hmm, I think some people wrote it as a hobby, there is also a way of writing they can earn money from these skills. :)

hueyramone, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  6. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I do freelance writing to supplement the family income, and nothing more. Maintaining my own website is a lot more work, and it isn't the field I want to end up in. With two young children, I enjoy the flexibility of what I do now.

That said, I am a writer in general, in the world of fiction. I have work all over the web, some under pen names and some under my own. The two are separate, and that is what I choose to put the majority of my energy into. It makes me happy, it fulfills me, and it is all I have ever wanted to do from the time I was a small child.

People like me have the benefit of having their cake and eating it, too. I don't mind working on blog posts a couple of hours a week for a few cents per word. They are topics I know well, many of which are part of my daily life, and my clients are happy, so I am happy.

But my way of freelancing would not be appropriate for people who do it as their main source of income, or as a career. So it really depends on who you speak to.

oo87, Feb 11, 2013 IP
    Senobia likes this.
  7. TheSyndicate

TheSyndicate Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Having a website a writing is totally different. Writing gets your cash straight having a websites are costs and problems.

TheSyndicate, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    While my content sites are part of my hobbies and rainy day fund, they also have made the writing I do for my clients worth more.

First off, having a diverse set of personal sites provides me with a broad spectrum of 'live' samples to share with prospective clients. My sites are about a variety of topics. When I say I can write about different topics, I can prove it to them without having to worry if a client feels comfortable with me using their materials as a reference. (Not all site owners want people to know they didn't write it themselves.)

Secondly, having to continually educate myself about SEO, web development and online marketing expands the bag of tricks that I can offer my clients. I know how to put a site together and I know how hard it is to take a website and bring it to the top of the SERPs. In other words, I experiment on my own sites rather than my clients' sites. While, I don't offer those services directly, my experience in those areas impacts everything I do for my clients.

YMC, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  9. usman8

usman8 Banned

Best Answers:
    I am a good writer and also write articles for international market and clients. But at the same i am not writing articles for my sites because i am making sites on some technical subjects and i am unable to write on technological issues there for i am not writing articles for my own websites. At this time i am also doing exchanging of articles. Mean i am writing articles for others and they are writing for me free of cost.

usman8, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  10. affilorama

affilorama Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most writers, especially professional ones have their own sites and blogs. Some may choose to keep it private, if it's a personal blog. But you'll find that most have a site where the showcase and advertise their own articles. That said, I do have a few personal sites.

As for what makes a good writer, that depends on you as the contractor. What are you looking for? It's a rule of thumb to look at a writer's sample work before hiring them because anyone can claim anything, until it's time to deliver.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!

affilorama, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  11. onlypmme

onlypmme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is difficult to define a good writer. It all depends on the subject and audience for whom you are writing. All writers have their own unique qualities and styles and differ from each other. A thriller writer has his own set of mind and differs from a creative or technical writer, but creativity and in-depth knowledge on the subject are the essence of any writing because your article must attract a wider audience and accepted by them.

The world is full of writers, and it is not difficult to find them with different rates and qualities. Few writers are very good and churn out real quality stuff, whereas many cheap ones just write for quick money, and for them quality articles are things of the past. There are also writers who hire people with, or without writing knowledge and pay them little to complete a project or assignments. One can understand the quality of such writers. Now, it is for you to decide what you desire in your articles, or in a writer. It is also possible a few cents a word writer may serve your purpose, or you may need a writer who charges many cents a word. You can look at their sample and decide.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    onlypmme, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  12. domina mckenzie

domina mckenzie Member

Best Answers:
    Writing for clients is a great way to earn money without having to do a lot of work aside from just creating the content, while writing for your own site entails more sweat and wallet-juice, plus lots of thumb-tweedling if your site will earn or not.

domina mckenzie, Feb 19, 2013 IP
    INEEDCONTENT likes this.
  13. Emma Pollard

Emma Pollard Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am currently building my writing business, I write for my own site as I view this as aa way of building my portfolio. Because of what I promise my clients 'Unique and original work' I will not post anything on my site which I have provided as paid work. This means that I actully have to write twice as much but only get paid for half. My costs are competetive as I am building my business, but this does not mean that I produce low quality work. As long as the client is clear in what he/she wants then that is what is delivered.

Emma Pollard, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  14. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I am a dam good writer, that is because - I only write about the topics, I have experience in ;)

sundaybrew, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  15. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I like writers who have confidence in themselves. As far as I'm concerned that is a huge selling point.
    But....that should be "*damn* good writer".:)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    Spoiltdiva, Feb 19, 2013 IP
    Emma Pollard likes this.
  16. Emma Pollard

Best Answers:
    How do you get the experience? through learning. This would mean you can be a good writer and not just for what you have experience in, life is for learning and living, there is enough information online on any subject in the world, doing research does not make you a bad writer just as long as dont just copy and paste. People who learn and develop often end up with a multitude of skills which would prove valuable to a multitude of people. Most employers ask the 'where do you see yourself in 5 years time' question, I dont want my answer to be 'exactly where I am now'. I intend to grow my business and expand my knowledge, if I can combine the two then so much the better.

Emma Pollard, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  17. onlypmme

onlypmme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I envy you because you only write on the topics you have experience. What about the writers who are working in a firm for a meagre salary? They have no option except to write continuously for days on any given topic, be it technical, creative, fashion, health, nursing, legal, retail or marketing. They cannot choose or select a topic. The quote "beggars can't be choosers" ideally suits them. The only plus point is they gain good experience on one topic writing for days, but all in vain, because the next day they have to restart on another topic and continue for days.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    onlypmme, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  18. Emma Pollard

Best Answers:
    @sundaybrew, you dont say if you write for a living or to make some extra cash? This could make a difference to what you write about, having to feed a family can sometimes make you broaden your horizons. I write largely within my niche but have done some work outside of this. I feel that this gives me new experience and increases my skills set which inevitably makes me a better writer in the long run. Im not saying people should write about absolutely amything, you should have at least a basic knowledge of the subject, but with the amount of info available online with some good research you can easily expand on that knowledge.

Emma Pollard, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  19. jacksarlo

jacksarlo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As a copywriter you make the most money when you write for yourself! Start up a business and write for yourself, copywriting is #1 skill in IM imo so you'll have a competitive advantage.

jacksarlo, Feb 21, 2013 IP
  20. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    Right there my friend, You are cutting yourself short, why should anyone work for cheap?

For example. If you are from India....and You need money to support your family....Why not offer:

"English to Indian" translation service...? No?

A guy like me, Would Love to "Go Global" and reach all languages.....but these services are rarly offered,

Instead what is offered is broken English for below par rates....

I think you should believe in yourself more :)

sundaybrew, Feb 21, 2013 IP