1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

myBB | phpbb | simplemachine

Discussion in 'phpBB' started by UnHide, Dec 24, 2012.

Hey guys, i want to start a forum and i am stuck in choosing the best free forum software.
    I be needing modules like chat,etc..

Well, i am waiting for some suggestions for this.

UnHide, Dec 24, 2012 IP
  2. kysha0

kysha0 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I use MyBB, simply because it was easier for me to have a custom theme, but in terms of functionality I'm not sure. I would stick to using MyBB, I like it so far. You can also get mods like chat, just be careful which mods you choose as from experience they can lead to people hacking you.

kysha0, Dec 31, 2012 IP
  3. sahabcse

sahabcse Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have tried smf and mybb. Both are good and easy to use but we need to install spam filtering addins, do regular updates, always keep eye on our forums. Else spammer attack always.

sahabcse, Dec 31, 2012 IP
  4. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Old thread but ...

I prefer MyBB because I know it well.

As far as chat, Mibbit works well, and is easy to integrate on any forum. I know it works with MyBB, because I've run it from there, and I know it works from SMF, because one of the forums I use has it set up for their chat. I'd be amazed if it wasn't also simple to set up on phpBB.

(The free version, using any IRC network, works very nicely, and allows those users who know what IRC is, to access the chat using their IRC program if they prefer. You can even use it with your own chat server, if you have a shell account to run one on, but it's a lot easier to use DALNet or Undernet or some other established network.)

As far as other modules, MyBB has tons (I've written a couple), and a large community that will sometimes write a module if you ask for it.

Rukbat, Jan 18, 2013 IP
  5. brightforest

brightforest Member

Best Answers:
    In the past, I would have suggested SMF. It's still good, but MyBB is the best one now as far as free forum software goes. I like that it's as "tight" and modulated as SMF, but has good backend flexibility.

brightforest, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  6. JuniorGen

JuniorGen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have used MyBB since a year ago. Why? It has so many plugins (mods), themes, etc.
    Google crawl my forum site almost hourly you know. MyBB is number one and phpBB is number two for me. It's hard to manage PHPBB. phpBB just for programmers who have at least medium web programming skill. MyBB is easy to manage. But I don't know anything about SMF

JuniorGen, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  7. Stingerftw

Stingerftw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I myself prefer phpBB. The mods are fairly easy to install and you can easily modify it to your own liking.

Stingerftw, Jan 26, 2013 IP
  8. eyedream

eyedream Member

Best Answers:
    my vote for Mybb

eyedream, Jan 28, 2013 IP
  9. Alex210

Alex210 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I`d say phpbb or mybb. Anyway, you can compare the forums here and see which of them is best for you.

Alex210, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  10. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    None of them , i will support.
    In SMF , support become poor after left by Illori (if you are web developer , you can otherwise leave)
    In mybb, previous year this website get hacked
    In phpbb , no idea.

All the above websites are famous for spam. I will suggest you to go with paid forums.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    humtuma, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  11. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:

As long as the forum is properly configured and moderated, spam is not a problem. There are also many plugins to help protect against spam. All of these companies release updates as soon as any security issue has been found.

r3dt@rget, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  12. Winagain

Winagain Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use simplemachine on one of my sites and altough it's very simple compared with others, I am happy with the ease of use.

Winagain, Feb 20, 2013 IP
  13. BradsFX

BradsFX Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I would say phpBB, it's easy to use, apart from installing MODs which seems to being improved in future updates.

BradsFX, May 13, 2013 IP