1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Site Wide Backlinks Bad?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by mokimofiki, Feb 15, 2013.

Basically, I have seen in a few reputable areas that site wide backlinks to a websites is a negative thing. An example is a website installs a plugin that is on every page of their 20k page website with a link to my website within it.

Q. Would this penalize the website that is getting the backlinks or will the links just be ignored.

I would appreciate any insight or thoughts others have on this specific situation.

mokimofiki, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  2. jamesbrands

jamesbrands Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use side wide links and they work. Some say they are spammy, but loads of site owners put links to resources, related sites etc in the blogroll naturally. Obviously this has to be done in moderation and its one of the last steps I will take to give a site that final push if it needs it.

I'll only get site wide links from large sites, when I have a pretty decent backlink profile to the site already, and have lots of variation in my anchor text.

Like I said ive personally used site wide links alot, and they have done nothing but help push my sites up the serps.

jamesbrands, Feb 15, 2013 IP
    dcristo likes this.
  3. neysyah

neysyah Active Member

Best Answers:
    People said now backlink are old school same like PR. but i dint believe that. if you have a good backlink , i believe you get more visitor

neysyah, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  4. jamesbrands

jamesbrands Active Member

Best Answers:
    Helpful.

jamesbrands, Feb 15, 2013 IP
    MattsBackpack likes this.
  5. Cruise

Cruise Member

Best Answers:
    Personally i have seen a decline in effectiveness with sitewide links. In fact, one of my sites was linked sitewide on one site for months, wasnt all that effective. I removed the sitewide link and waited a few months, then re-added a link to a single page that had some similar content to the site it was linked to and KABLAM! (note: the KABLAM means it generated alot more traffic that way.)

Cruise, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:

Solid advice right here. I think you can run into problems with sitewide links when they make up a large part of your backlink profile, and as a result, you have a lot of links coming from a few sources, and very few anchor text variations. Like alluded to above, this can be avoided by not building sitewide links to a new site.

dcristo, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  7. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Keep things diverse. While sitewide links won't harm your site (in moderation), I certainly think one-page links appear more natural in the eyes of the engines. There are certainly 10's of other, more effective techniques, than sitewide links in 2013. It still works to some extent, but it's pretty old school and proves people aren't adapting.

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Feb 16, 2013 IP
  8. mokimofiki

mokimofiki Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for all of the responses and I think everyone is pretty much saying that site wide links are a good thing so long as there are enough other backlinks to keep it from looking to spammy.

My reason for asking is that I created a Digg Digg Alternative Wordpress plugin (you know the floating share bar) and it has taken off. The powered by link at the bottom of the bar is being left by a majority of website owners and my backlinks are increasing at a very fast rate. I just wanted to be sure everything would be ok and I wouldn't get penalized for them.

I was at around 90k (1.5k domains) backlinks and now at around 500k (4k domains) within around 3 months. I did however have my PR jump from 3-4 since the plugin although Google's filters that discredit links tends to take up to 90 days to hit you so trying to build an organized link campaign to keep in good standing with Google.

mokimofiki, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  9. harish raboz

harish raboz Member

Best Answers:
    I believe that back-links on relative websites is good to increase website visitors and for keep presence on more search engines

harish raboz, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  10. Naven

Naven Banned

Best Answers:
    Getting links (whether site wide or contextual )from relevant niche website is good for these days.

Naven, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  11. speedyarticle

speedyarticle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Always keep in mind that when you get links try to use different anchor texts all the time frequently so that it does not look spammy and you can also build many links and for sitewide they are good if you need PR and sometimes work in rising SERP's as well but definitely works in rising PR.

It will help..............

speedyarticle, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  12. WebDev Solutions

Best Answers:
    500k backlinks spread over 4k unique domains is only going to lead you to trouble, no arguments.

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  13. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on the quality of the website. You will get penalized only if you get tons of sitewide link from low quality/ crap site. The sitewide link from quality site will only give positive impact

lifeplayer, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  14. WebDev Solutions

Best Answers:

Not when you're talking of a 125-1 ratio of total links to unique domains you won't- certainly not in the future given the steps Google is taking. Continue like that are your peril. :)

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  15. Sadie

Sadie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sitewide links will get you penalised if the site is of poor quality.

Sadie, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  16. mokimofiki

mokimofiki Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to think that my site is not of poor quality although am still worried about what to do with my plugin that has so many site wide links pointing to me. I of course want backlinks from those using my plugin if they feel its worth giving one to me but don't want to hurt my site in the process. The site in question is Android Advice & Tutorials (link in signature)

mokimofiki, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  17. prawyyy

prawyyy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Such links probably will have some power, but there is a risk that if they lead to a new website it will fall into Google sandbox or get ban. Link in this way only the older websites. Of course links with the content around them will have more power than those who are deprived of it.

Much depends on the quality of the page. The 20k is a bit of a large number and it's quite risky. It is also unclear whether the number of such indexes everything.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    prawyyy, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  18. TSG

TSG Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not engage side-wide backlinks strategy. Some people mention that if those links are similar to your site, it's not an issue. :D

TSG, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  19. Serp Creation

Serp Creation Member

Best Answers:
    It is still effective if your link is on quality and relevant site, but you have to maintain natural links too.

Serp Creation, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  20. webmaster.

webmaster. Active Member

Best Answers:
    it may be good idea to bring more traffic to your site.

webmaster., Mar 2, 2013 IP