1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Is Like Trading ?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Austech, Feb 18, 2013.

It seems I have a warning for "like trading". The warning has no details whatsoever, clicking on it redirects to my profile. It also says it is a "profile warning, not linked to specific content" which is interesting as it would suggest a warning for no specific reason. Perhaps I should jazz up my profile with some bells and whistles ?

The warning appeared after I visited the site this morning (my time) and liked one single person. As I dont know the person I gave the like to, and they obviously have not given me a like (based on my account still having the same amount of likes it had when I visited) how can I be "like trading" ?

So my question/s are :

1. Why do I have a warning that is a "profile warning not linked to specific content" ? This warning suggest an issue with my user profile, of which I can see nothing wrong with.

2. As I gave out one (1) single like this morning and received a warning for "like trading", can you explain how I am guilty of "like trading" when the person I liked has not given me a like at all ?

Thanks

Austech, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  2. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I think the "like trading" is just a general category that covers any abuse of the like button and not necessarily implying that you are actually trading likes. I have no idea why you specifically got that infraction since I am not a mod, but even as a casual observer I have seen you giving an inordinate amount of likes, basically to anyone with less than three likes who complains about the like system or still need their three likes. Including posts that really are so ordinary that the like giving seems like abuse to me.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    browntwn, Feb 18, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  3. flowersn

flowersn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1 single like this morning. But what about yesterday and the day before yesterday? You have liked quality posts?

flowersn, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  4. Austech

Austech Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies, but they dont really apply to the 2 questions I asked. If they did, the like system would be a complete failure because it would be dictating what you can and cant like.What you like and I like would of course be 2 entirely different things.

The warning is for "like trading" of which I am not doing (even though I have received a few private messages on that topic which I have ignored)

Austech, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There is no doubt in my mind that you are the *worst* offender for giving out likes for pointless and stupid posts. I actually was beginning to wonder if there wasn't something wrong with you.
    The mods probably can't figure it out either and doubtless suspect you are trading likes, as there appears to be no sense or rationale to your giving of likes.

Spoiltdiva, Feb 18, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk, FreeFun4Every1 and malky66 like this.
  6. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    1. Likes are not content so of course there is no content to direct you to.
    2. As I already said, "like trading" is an umbrella, your specific abuse might be for giving out useless likes. There are TONS of examples, but you know that since you gave them out. But in case anyone is curious what useless likes look like, here is a sample:

Both of those posts got "likes" from you, as did every post in that introduction thread. Pretty clear abuse of the like system, at least in my opinion. I would have banned you for the way you give out likes.

browntwn, Feb 18, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk, malky66 and Spoiltdiva like this.
  7. Austech

Austech Member

Best Answers:
    If I was going to give out likes for pointless and stupid posts, I would have spent the last week liking all yours.

As I mentioned previously, my opinion and your opinion on what we like would be entirely different. You like people who follow your line of opinion, anyone else you dont like. I could go through the list of people that you have given likes to and no doubt disagree with your decision to do so. But unlike you, I dont have time to stalk people so I havent bothered.

Again, this has nothing to do with what I am asking and I suspect a moderator would be the one to answer it rather than the usual "wish I was a mod" brigade.

Its fairly obvious the like system is a bit of a running joke. Its a bit like "you can have any color car you want as long as its black". Here you can like anyone you want, as long as it is a person we like. Which of course makes it a totally pointless system.

Austech, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Think it as a "collective" judgment... When we get a whole lot of users reporting a single user for "liking" dumb things, we'll look into it and see if we agree. In your case you got nothing more than a warning that expires in the future. Not like you were banned or anything. Am I going to take the time to actively seek out abusers? No, not really... either I'd have to run across blatant abuse (like someone spinning through every post in a thread and liking things faster than they could even realistically read it), or in your case getting enough reports from other users about it that it annoys me into looking into it.

digitalpoint, Feb 18, 2013 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  9. Austech

Austech Member

Best Answers:
    Possibly a good answer.

Like trading is not an umbrella - its like trading.

A randomly internet grabbed definition of Trade - the transfer of ownership of goods and services from one person or entity to another by getting something in exchange from the buyer.

I am not trading anything. I am not requesting payment nor favour.

So we have one thread with 4 replies. I like spanish people and people that are friendly and welcoming. What other threads do I have where I have liked entire threads ?

As per my reply to miss wanna mod, I could spend all day analysing what likes you have given out but really why would anyone be that hard up to even go searching ? I suppose thats something only you can answer.

Austech, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @Austech, we have a British member here who sometimes uses a very colorful expression which I like and will use here to you........"sod off!"

Spoiltdiva, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  11. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:

absolutely spot on, i couldn't have put it better myself.
    can't think who you might be referring to there...lol

malky66, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  12. Austech

Austech Member

Best Answers:

Ok, so my questions are answered. Wanna mods influence moderating decisions and you can accuse anyone of anything because its your site. At least I got an answer.

You could go with the next logical step and create a set of rules as to "who you can like that we like otherwise we wont like you at all". There doesnt appear to be any rules about the like system, yet its the most complained about item in this forum since its introduction. Whether anyone "likes" that statement it is true.

We have one called "brown tongue". You generally get it for having your head near peoples backsides.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
    Austech, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  13. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Actually, the most complained about item in the forum is how quick we are to ban low quality users. They just don't complain on the forum about it because well... they can't since they are banned (but they do complain about it at other places). In fact the reasons people give about why they were banned are pretty comical sometimes and make for some good reading.

But yeah... if the like feature is the most complained about feature for users who aren't banned, I would absolutely say we are doing something right then. I'd much rather it be that than the most complained about feature being something important like the Keyword Tracker or Digital Point Ads. The nice thing about the like system is there's absolutely no benefit to you to use it, so if you (or anyone) doesn't like it, simply don't use it. You certainly don't gain anything by using it.

And of course users influence moderator decisions... if people don't report stuff, there's a good chance we wouldn't see it. If someone sees spam, they just influences moderating because they brought it to our attention.

As far as end users having any real control over what we would moderate (beyond just bringing something to our attention), no... they don't. In fact, I just looked at the last 25 reported items... 15 of the items were rejected (rejected means no action was taken because we didn't agree). Things like disputes between members or other things they personally feel should be moderated (but they are wrong).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    digitalpoint, Feb 18, 2013 IP
  14. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You sir made my day! :D
    Thank you. Unfortunately I can not give you a like because would be considered as like trading.

I have already said that. IMO, just forget about the like button as it is a decision that can be interpreted always against you. Still can not like this post either for the same reason as above.

Regarding moderators using reported threads, that makes me laugh. I already mentioned a personal case with a reported thread and what happened after that. Can't say more for moderators as will be a wasted time.

dlatua, Feb 19, 2013 IP
  15. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    But you have no qualms about wasting our time. I wonder about members like you who go out of their way to alienate people and run everything about the site down. After reading your toxic posts why would *anyone* wish to do business with someone like you?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    Spoiltdiva, Feb 19, 2013 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.