1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal Negative Balance? Need Advice.

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by Costt, Feb 1, 2013.

I sold online goods , or digital goods from 2 different paypal accounts, one of which was linked to my bank account so i could send some of the change I was making to my bank. So i closed out the other account about 2 weeks ago and some dude ended up using a hacked paypal to buy some of the digital goods, so the owner of the paypal account sent out a claim to obviously get their money back, but my account was already closed.

Fast forward a week and now all the payments I sent from that account to my real paypal account got flagged and some other payments sent and recived as well. And now I'm looking at 715 dollars in the negative. I'm not quite sure what I can do, due to the fact it was digital goods. The people from paypal said i basically have to wait until all these claims (made by paypal to just verify and screen these payments) are done and I'd have to set up or start making payments for the 715 dollars.

I'm located in the US, East coast, and the paypal account with the negative balance is verified with my bank account, name, SSN, etc. What should I do at this point? They said if I don't start paying after these claims are done after 3 months they get a third party agency involved, should I start to pay? I need help. Thanks.

Costt, Feb 1, 2013 IP
  2. Newestsys

Newestsys Member

Best Answers:
    you should contact paypal to fix this bug

Newestsys, Feb 3, 2013 IP
  3. oregonthunder2

oregonthunder2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Boycott Paypal. They are nothing but a bunch of scammers. Same thing happened to me, but it was $360. They said I had a duplicate account, of which I never had, and they said they had the technology to link old accounts to new accounts. Screw PayPal. Walk away!

oregonthunder2, Feb 9, 2013 IP
  4. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Don't walk away! The third party would more than likely would be a Collection Agency. Gather all the documentation you have and contact Paypal's Customer Service since the original buyer used a stolen Paypal account; there's no way for you to physically verify whether that actual Paypal account belonged to the fraudulent buyer or not. In this case you need to go after the fraudulent buyer in court if they're located in the U.S. and pay the funds that are owed because of the fraudulent charges. I advise you to also speak with attorney to see if there's any recourse you can take against Paypal since they don't provide any fraudulent detection services like Authorize.net.

You acknowledged you had two Paypal accounts and closed one for whatever reason so the closed Paypal account does not excuse you from being held liable for any chargebacks after the account is closed by Paypal. Don't walk away from your responsibilities as a merchant and ruined your credit because of a chargeback. "Walk away" is bad advise oregonthuder2 is giving you.

muffet, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  5. oregonthunder2

Best Answers:
    Of coarse he needs to get his affairs in order, but after that I recommend walking away from PayPal. Their lack of good policies and lack of seller protection caused the mess. I should have made my point more clear.

PayPal has caused more harm than good, and has adversely affected millions of users, because of bad policies.

oregonthunder2, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  6. oregonthunder2

Best Answers:
    That being said...PayPal was a good company before FeeBay bought them out. Since Feebay bought them they have been a nightmare.

oregonthunder2, Feb 10, 2013 IP
  7. matthewpov

matthewpov Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    what do you mean Feebay?

matthewpov, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  8. oregonthunder2

Best Answers:

Ebay = Feebay

oregonthunder2, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  9. Frangemc

Frangemc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    When I had a negative balance because a scammer won a dispute, I just abandoned that account and started a new one a few months later. I don't know how easy this is now because they could possibly link them together.

Frangemc, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  10. haryoko.hardjo

haryoko.hardjo Active Member

Best Answers:
    It was also happened to me, so ridicilious story. In the future you better verified your paypal account not with your bank accounts nor credit cards, better use VCC

haryoko.hardjo, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  11. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hate paypal too. But I can't lie, I still use them...

superrichguy, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  12. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This whole situation seems a bit fishy to me. Why do you need 2 paypal accounts? Without knowing you or any other details about the situation than what you posted, I would say you hacked someones paypal, sent it to your secondary account (that didn't have any personal information attached) and then used that to send it to your real account so you could bank the money. Then to cover your tracks you closed the secondary account not knowing paypal could link your accounts. Then they took the money back and gave it back to the victim. Or you could be honest and in that case you need to pay the balance to maintain your credit rating and avoid future hassle. And hire a lawyer.

r3dt@rget, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  13. ibtha14u

ibtha14u Peon

Best Answers:
    r3d@rget... i really like how you put all that together...thats were i was going with it....lol

ibtha14u, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  14. MonkeyMagic

MonkeyMagic Active Member

Best Answers:
    Paypal are a pain in the ass, I sold some services online only to found out the people that purchased my services were using stolen paypal accounts. I provided the work and no Paypal has my money on hold... Unlikely I'll get it back. I'd look into using a different payment processor!

MonkeyMagic, Feb 13, 2013 IP
    oregonthunder2 likes this.
  15. ExpressVisits

ExpressVisits Member

Best Answers:
    I payed back my balance of $250 a few minutes ago. You'll feel alot better after. They are alright, just call them up and talk shit out.

ExpressVisits, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  16. makeit easy

makeit easy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try to use Paypal only for the low priced items. If you sell something for $500+ each, you can expect more problems with Paypal.

As for your $715 negative balance, most probably Paypal has paid it back to the victim. In my opinion, you should pay it back to Paypal. Because Paypal is not a part of the deals between you and your clients. As long as Paypal is not a part of your business, you can not let Paypal make lose due to your actions. You need to know well about your buyers and the transactions on your account. Paypal gives you an option to refund some sales if you feel some transactions on your account is risky. Hire a lawyer.

makeit easy, Feb 14, 2013 IP
  17. techgr78

techgr78 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    costt, i will tell you from my personal experience. stay away from PAYPAL, Period! i dont care what anyone says about how good paypal is . I will give you a example. Always remember when someone does a chargeback on Paypal, you are not covered NO MATTER WHAT! even if you have tracking #'s and whatever proof you give them. I have lost a $4000 False Chargeback Claim and Paypal did nothing about it. Even i provided them signature confirmation and everything. i would recommend dont get too much in Paypal. Stick with a Online Merchant like Authorize or many other merchant accounts out there.

You can be the nicest guy/seller, but when someone wants to scr*w you, they will

techgr78, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  18. HostMantis

HostMantis Active Member

Best Answers:
    $4000??? Ouch!

HostMantis, Feb 16, 2013 IP
    nihangshah likes this.