1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Mass Following Whilst Avoiding Suspension

Discussion in 'Twitter' started by EddieC, Feb 12, 2013.

Although technically you can follow 1,000 users per day on Twitter, if you do this with a new account you will be suspended in no time. After running extensive tests on over 100 accounts - and having the majority of them suspended in the process - I've developed a strategy that will allow you to follow the maximum number of people without falling foul of a suspension.

There are plenty of softwares out there that you can use to automate the process of following & unfollowing - I'll let you take your pick - or if you're just managing the one account you may be able to do this manually.

Preparation

The first thing I would look at is the niche you're working with & how it could be split up. Even once you get to a decent sized following you will still only be able to follow 1,000 people per day, but if you can split your niche into subcategories you can setup more than one account & follow more people. When considering niches to work with you need to make sure there's a market for your choice on Twitter. Use the search function to ensure there are enough similar accounts on Twitter with a good number of followers, if there aren't then you're going to struggle to find targeted users to follow.

As a minimum add a profile picture & bio when setting up a new account, ideally you should add a cover photo & background too. When setting up multiple accounts make sure the bios are varied - accounts get suspended on suspicion of being duplicates for having similar bios, they get unsuspended following a manual review but it's a pain having to wait a few days for Twitter to get back to you & you have to appeal each account separately.

The final bit of preparation is to add at least 10 tweets to your account. The tests I've done show that you can follow users more aggressively from day one if you have a few tweets under your belt, whilst accounts with only one or two tweets got suspended very quickly.

Following Strategy

Step 1 - Getting the ball rolling

On day one follow 25 people, then 50 on day two & 100 on day three. If you have software set it to only target users that have tweeted in the past day - or past hour if you can - this will maximise followbacks. When following people always make sure you start at the same time or later than the previous day. The limits appear to apply to how many people you follow in a 24-hour period rather than per calendar day, I had a few accounts suspended before I worked this one out!

Step 2 - Taking a shortcut (optional)

If you have a bit of money to play with and don't want to hang around, you can speed up the process by buying some followers. There's a whole host of services out there offering to sell you followers, a package of 5k will do the job for this method but feel free to buy more if you want to look impressive. They'll be bots and won't send any more traffic to your intended destination, but they will allow you to follow a lot more people from the word go. Even if you are buying followers it's important to follow the instructions in step one for the first three days, some accounts I tested were suspended when buying followers without having followed anyone first. For five days after the followers have been delivered (during delivery if you're getting the followers drip-fed) continue to follow 100 users per day, then you can skip step 3.

Step 3 - Initial growth

If you've opted not to buy followers you're going to have to grow your account at a more steady rate. Continue to follow 100 people per day until your account hits 500 followers. From then until you reach 5,000 followers you can follow 20% of the number that follow you - i.e if you have 1,000 followers you can follow 200 people per day. I found 25% to be a safe figure on some accounts I tested, but only the ones that were very active - if you tweet regularly 25% should be ok but it's up to you if you want to risk it.

Step 4 - Unfollowing

Once you are following more than 2,000 people Twitter will only allow you to follow 110% of the total number that follow you. To stay within this limit you need to be unfollowing those that don't follow you back. Twitter will also suspend accounts that frequently unfollow people they've only just followed, so you either need to break from following for a day or two, or only unfollow those you followed a few days previously if you have software that allows you to do so.

Step 5 - More unfollowing!

Another thing I noticed is that eventually Twitter will suspend your account if you only ever unfollow those that don't follow back. This is extra annoying as it doesn't happen immediately & you will have already invested a lot of time building your following, plus Twitter don't seem to unsuspend accounts that are caught out in this manner. To avoid this you need to unfollow some of the users that did follow you back as well as those that didn't. I set my software to unfollow all those following me that haven't tweeted in the past 3 days, some of them are bound to unfollow you as a result so it might as well be those that aren't on Twitter daily. This action only needs to be carried out until your account reaches 10k followers, after which it appears you can just unfollow the users that don't follow back without falling foul of a suspension.

Step 6 - Continued growth

Once your account has reached 5k followers you will be able to follow 1,000 people per day - though I tend to only follow 980 to allow for some manual follows. After 10k followers you won't need to worry about step 5 anymore and you should see growth pick up a little thanks to this.

Extra tip

When growing more than one account in the same niche, it's best to try & accumulate a different following on each one. To achieve this I set my software to follow users with a different number of tweets for each account - the first account will follow users with less than 500 tweets (generally the least profitable account as a number of these users drop off), the second will follow users with 500-1000 tweets, and so on. If you create multiple accounts in the same niche you must use proxies or they will get suspended.

The Results

The number that follow you back has varied depending on the niche I'm working with but has always been between 20-40% - meaning you should be picking up at least 1,500 or so followers per week if you use this method daily. I aim to setup 5 different accounts for each site I want to drive traffic to, which usually gives me 10k new followers each week from week 2 onwards. As your following grows you will also find yourself being retweeted more often & ranking better in the search results, which will bring yet more followers. You will eventually reach a point where you run out of people to follow - when this comes depends on how popular the niche is. Working with popular niches though you should be able to build a targeted audience of 250k followers in 6 months, or 100k if you don't want to spend money on buying followers.

EddieC, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  2. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If people report your account for spam it'll get suspended anyway.

I think that they will get suspended because of the reason above, not for using the same IP address.

Devtard, Feb 12, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  3. EddieC

EddieC Active Member

Best Answers:
    Make sure your content is good & only follow people with an interest in your niche and no-one will have any reason to report you. I've not had any accounts suspended for spam as the people I follow find something of interest to them on my pages.

EddieC, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  4. Devtard

Devtard Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that's a good start.

But I have had bad experiences with mass following so I discourage others from doing it. If nothing else, accounts following thousands of people look silly.

Devtard, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  5. EddieC

EddieC Active Member

Best Answers:
    Each to their own I guess, but I'm having good success with my accounts. Since perfecting my method I've grown 10 accounts to 50-150k followers each, another 10 to 10-15k followers, and I have another 10 that I've started recently all on around 1k followers. None of them are getting suspended. I'm accumulating 30-40k new followers per week, and when my newest accounts are a bit bigger that figure will be 50-60k per week. In one year's time I will have over 2.5m followers, and even though Twitter traffic doesn't convert the greatest that's enough to make some decent money.

The key is to provide good content, do this and you can have plenty of success with mass following.

EddieC, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  6. AndreyShawn

AndreyShawn Member

Best Answers:
    Mass following always end with the ban. So be carefully. You made some nice plan here and you can make a lot of followers with this plan. Thanks for sharing great tips,good luck with the plan. :)

AndreyShawn, Feb 15, 2013 IP
  7. EddieC

EddieC Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, not if it's done properly, which was the whole point of writing this guide :facepalm:

If you were unable to master it then it's probably a good move to leave it alone, but don't let the fact that you couldn't figure it out put others off from trying. Maybe if you'd stuck to this guide you'd have had no problem. Despite what you think (presumption based on nothing), I know (real opinion backed up by months of research) this method works.

I suppose those that can't will always knock those that can ;)

EddieC, Feb 22, 2013 IP
  8. EddieC

EddieC Active Member

Best Answers:
    Seen a lot of posts on this board asking how to get more followers, so thought I'd give this a bump.

Ignore the doubters - they are doing nothing more than trying to justify their own failure. They can offer their opinions all day long on why this won't work, but the fact is that it's working very successfully without getting accounts suspended & I am currently getting 3-5k new followers each day across all my accounts.

EddieC, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  9. BusinessMaker

BusinessMaker Member

Best Answers:
    Good for you. You seem pretty addressed on the topic "How to get loads of followers fast''. You have some nice ideas. Keep with good working.

BusinessMaker, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  10. Montreal Classifieds

Montreal Classifieds Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe in such games. You follow, others follow you in return, not because you.
    What can you do with such use - nothing. User that follow you follow thousands others. Following thousands, and in you example 10s or 100s thousands, means you not really looking into others tweets, exactly as they not reading yours. What are the benefits of such user?
    You advertize/tweet about something, and getting 0 replies and 0 click to your website.
    One day some big account 400k followers, also following similar amount of users signed to my services. That user is one if teamfollow. After we posted tweet on his behalf we got 3-4 visitors only. And reason for that is exactly such kind of followers. Most are robots or follow backs.
    From other had quality users behaving mush better. I'm getting more visits from users with 500 followers, but these users follow in 10's others. That is natural and quality.

Montreal Classifieds, Feb 25, 2013 IP
  11. EddieC

EddieC Active Member

Best Answers:
    Like I say, some people will always try to justify their own failure. Twitter most certainly hasn't provided me with nothing. Is 9k unique visits to my site each month nothing? Is paying my rent each week nothing? Or the nice meal I took my girlfriend out for at the weekend? You can keep telling yourself that nothing can be done with it simply because you haven't managed to do anything with it, or you can listen to someone that has done something with it & maybe learn a little.

Every link I post on my main Twitter account gets a bare minimum of 100 clicks - even crappy ads that aren't related to the niche at all. On average decent content from my site will get 500-600 clicks, and the really popular content gets 1000+ clicks.

Is this the basis for your opinion? The fact that you tweeted a big account once & it hardly got you any visitors? Wow, the extensive testing I did on over 100 accounts kinda pales into insignificance when you compare it to such an expansive study as that :D

At the end of the day it is quite clear that you have an agenda. You provide Twitter services and have a vested interest in people not working out how to do things for themselves. I on the other hand have nothing to gain by keeping people ignorant and am trying to spread a bit of knowledge. If I was a stranger reading this thread I certainly know which one of the two of us I would be listening to!

Funny that on your own site you advise 'Follow other Twitter users with similar interests to yours' as a method to get more followers. That is exactly what I'm advising here, I'm just showing people how to follow the maximum number of people with similar interests - without incurring a suspension.

EddieC, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  12. Montreal Classifieds

Best Answers:
    There is basis to my opinion. I brought few examples.
    On my website I offering manual follow, but if you follow thousands, you cannot really read their tweets! If each followers tweets 10 times a day and you follow let's say 10,000 , reading 100,000 tweets a day is impossible. That means your tweets wasted with such user and no visits to your website.
    The services I offer are to save peoples time. Gaining followers service is not automatic, and guarantee to get real users. No one will pay to promote dummy user. It is different from all these follow teams that using softwares to follow and unfollow.
    I personally follow around 25 other users of my interest and read their tweets - this is how it works.
    BTW, I'm not using such ways and getting traffic from twitter not less than yours.
    And I'm happy for you that your way pays you rent and whatever else.

And I'm not against your advises at all. Your way works to get numbers. If you find how to realize these numbers, good for you.
    I'm using my way to get quality, numbers is second, not first.

Montreal Classifieds, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  13. EddieC

EddieC Active Member

Best Answers:
    No, that means that I probably won't get to see their tweets, it doesn't mean they won't get to see mine. Everyone I follow follows less than a thousand people themselves, so there's a good chance of them seeing my tweets.

Mass following doesn't work for everyone, but it certainly doesn't mean you're picking up bot followers or people just following back for the sake of it as you earlier claimed. My followers are no less targeted than yours, the only difference is due to the volume I don't interact with mine very much. My pages bring breaking news about subjects my followers are interested in though, so the fact I don't interact with them doesn't really affect their decision to click my links.

EddieC, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  14. Montreal Classifieds

Best Answers:
    Can you share your twitter user here?
    You saw my website and I'm sure my twitter user, so you know who I'm , now it is your turn :)

Montreal Classifieds, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  15. EddieC

EddieC Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry no, I only disclose details of my sites/accounts to people I work with. I especially wouldn't give details of my Twitter accounts to someone who would probably take great delight in seeing them suspended so they could be proved right.

EddieC, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  16. muddyrover

muddyrover Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    EddieC do you unfollow them as time goes on? Do you think that if someone comes on your feed and see's you follow 10k+ people but only 1k follow you back that's a problem? Just thinking out loud. Thanks for your info, reverse psychology at play.

muddyrover, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  17. EddieC

EddieC Active Member

Best Answers:
    As per steps four and five of my OP, I unfollow them as I go. Apart from in the first few weeks, my accounts are always following less people than they have following them.

EddieC, Feb 26, 2013 IP
  18. Pau Almar

Pau Almar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi EddieC, I was wondering if you could recommend any software for following/unfollowing automatically, specially if free.
    Kind regards!

Pau Almar, May 7, 2013 IP
  19. EddieC

EddieC Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use Twidium at present, is not multi-threaded so becomes a bit resource-intensive to manage a lot of accounts, but it seems to be continuing to work whilst other bots are dropping off a lot.

By the way, the guide in the OP is out of date now, Twitter change their algo so there are new following limits. I have figured out the new limits & can post a new guide, but after the replies to this one I'm not sure anyone's too interested. If anyone has an interest let me know in this thread & I'll get something new posted, cba typing up a guide if no-one's interested & it's just gonna get criticised!

EddieC, May 7, 2013 IP
  20. Pau Almar

Pau Almar Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It is interesting to see what others do. I have been just following and unfollowing 200 a day and period. On doing that I got it suspended three times. I think there should be something in the algo that makes you more prone to be suspended again after being suspended once.

Pau Almar, May 7, 2013 IP