1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Likes More Important Than Marketplace Feedback?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by designlife, Feb 7, 2013.

Hi there,
    I have been a member for 7 years and have over 20 positive marketplace feedback, no negative ones. I just think it's crazy how you need 3 likes now (on posts completely unrelated to the marketplace) to post in the marketplace. I have been hiring people for years in the marketplace and my 24 positive feedback shows that. Isn't this a MUCH better judgement of the so called "quality" of my marketplace posts that DP is trying to improve with this new system than 3 random likes on posts that have no effect on the marketplace?

It's very frustrating when you have come to know and love a forum for hiring for so long than all of a sudden, you have something urgent to do and you can no longer post. It really had a negative impact on my work.

Anyway, I hate to say goodbye to DP but I don't have the time right now to start making unrelated posts in hope they will get liked. Thanks.

designlife, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    Austech likes this.
  2. adinugroho

adinugroho Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Take care dude. I hope you found what you're looking for.

adinugroho, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  3. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    What... another FREE forum where you can earn a living for FREE....oh did i mention FREE

Good god man can you not even come up with three useful meaningful posts??..if you really do earn a living on here why not pay for a premium membership??

malky66, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    Colleen likes this.
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    "something urgent to do" ....but.....the changes on DP happened over 2 weeks ago. Funny how it's all so fired *urgent* but it took this long to finally come here to do it?

Spoiltdiva, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  5. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:

The new requirement is not designed to punish members like you and me who have been here 6+ years. It is designed to prevent new members from using the most valuable sections of the site without contributing anything.

168 posts in 7 years? If all you have done is use the Buy Sell Trade section to hire people or buy things, that is exactly the type of behavior that is being limited. If you want to use those fantastic resources you must contribute some value to the forum. Who better to judge value than your peers? Get out there and use your experience to help newer members with questions. The likes will come in no time.

r3dt@rget, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    malky66, ryan_uk and Colleen like this.
  6. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Emphasis on likes instituted to cut down on posts worthless posts like

Congrats!
    Thanks for that.
    I like coffee.

Current emphasis on quality post instead. Ten/twenty five posts restrictions encouraged quantity over quality.

Feedback on behavior in marketplace is important for both buyer and seller. For this reason instant pay option was instituted over two years ago so metrics on marketplace behavior could be built up before transition from itrader would be made.

Smyrl, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  7. Wincrew

Wincrew Banned

Best Answers:
    Why he should pay for it? I do not really see a big value of it.

Wincrew, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    Austech likes this.
  8. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Why should he expect a free ride, if he wants to do business here but can't contribute anything useful then he has two choices, pay for it or go elsewhere...simple really...and good luck to him finding a free forum that offers the exposure that DP does.

malky66, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    r3dt@rget likes this.
  9. Colleen

Colleen Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well it's not hard to get likes I'm sure, nor should it take lots of time. Simply read threads you're interested in or topics you have some experience with... then offer a valuable response, or help someone with something you have some knowledge of... you'll have more likes than you know what to do with in no time. :)

Colleen, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  10. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well there is a quick "darkish" way of getting 3 likes quick:

Step 1: Go to the P&R forum
    Step 2: Post the most conservative thing you can think of (Taxes are theft, no abortion, I want to own a 50 cal, rape is gods will)
    Step 3: Wait for the flood of likes
    Step 4: Profit. :rolleyes:

Helvetii, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    Colleen likes this.
  11. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If there is no value to him, obviously he shouldn't.

digitalpoint, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  12. Calanau

Calanau Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a question concerning the "Like" topic. Does only premium members and well established members with more then 3 "likes" can like other people posts/answers/threads etc? Cos for some reason (i might be blind) I can't seem to find the "Like" button anywhere :D

Calanau, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    Austech likes this.
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's only shown to people who can use it.

14. Calanau

Calanau Active Member

Best Answers:
    I thought so :) Thanks for the answer, cos I would spend another hour on looking for it xD

Calanau, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  15. designlife

designlife Active Member

Best Answers:

Just to clarify, I don't make a living here at all. I have just been using it for hiring which I think is actually a very meaningful contribution to the community. I hadn't looked at premium membership yet so thank you for letting me know. I will consider it.

I did not find out about the changes today, I just decided to make this post today.

I really disagree with your sentiment. I think having personally provided jobs for over 20 members of the Digital Point community so they can maintain their livelihood is a huge contribution. The marketplace is a significant part of Digital Point's community and success, and I think creating an active, fair and trustworthy one is just as important as the other sections.

Please read the above... I really believe hiring people from the marketplace and having positive transactions with them is a meaningful contribution and incredibly important for the site.

designlife, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    Austech and intro like this.
  16. Austech

Austech Member

Best Answers:
    I'd give you a like for that post if I could as I originally also came here to offer work to people.

Unfortunately, I was required to jump through a ridiculous amount of hoops to do that and it it took me about a month just to get access. By that time, the work I was going to offer wasnt available due to being unable to wait that long and going elsewhere.

But never fear, I eventually got access after making 25 spam free intelligent posts instead of just posting rubbish like everyone else.

And now back to a new set of hoops to jump through after having access removed after getting it. I wonder what will be next ? I am thinking perhaps making members walk barefoot through a pit of fire while making posts lefthanded?
    Or perhaps lie detector tests linked up through your keyboard?

But never fear Designlife my friend, one day in the future I will like you if possible :)

Austech, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    marvikand likes this.
  17. intro

intro Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would give you a Like for this thread and the point of opening it, but, I can't, or I just don't see that button :D.

intro, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Either way, if marketplace feedback were to be taken into account, it would be based on the Instant Pay transactions (in use since August, 2010), not iTrader. See this post.

Although creating a system where you must have a certain number of Instant Pay feedback in order to create something to GET Instant Pay feedback obviously wouldn't work for new users.

19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    How would you suggest people do that considering you have to be an established member to post in Politics and Religion (it's always been that way)? :)

digitalpoint, Feb 12, 2013 IP
  20. Helvetii

Helvetii Notable Member

Best Answers:

Ha! Never thought about that :D

Helvetii, Feb 12, 2013 IP