1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Current Market Rates For Writers

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Senobia, Dec 30, 2012.

1. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think Craigslist did a good number on the U.S newspapers before that the classifieds brought in a huge portion of the income. Along with the internet who really buys a hard copy of the newspaper anymore?
    It will be interesting to see where all this goes? who will jump on the front wave of it $$$?

@YMC I get your point. It is like Walmart paid 300k for the newest logo, a few lines in array and Arial font? you can get that in the BST section for $5, lol

averyz, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  2. KatherineO

KatherineO Member

Best Answers:
    I am new to this forum, but I have been a freelance writer for the past ten years and I found this thread really interesting. My one response is - if a buyer in a particular market won't pay what the writer's time and effort is worth, it is possible that the writer is in the wrong market! There are places to find work, but if the place the writer is in is filled with people expected $1 every 100 words, then the writer is in the wrong place and should go elsewhere. The truth is, experienced writers who do more than just churn out garbage content will never take on a job like that nor will they populate the sites that post jobs like that.

KatherineO, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  3. darrellfitchett

darrellfitchett Peon

Best Answers:
    Current market rate for writers will depend on the quality of content they write. Quality of Content drives the rates.

darrellfitchett, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  4. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    That is a bit simplistic. Any supply / demand relationship has two sides. There's also been a 'race to the bottom' effect over the last few years. People offering cheap content have given all potential purchasers the impression that content generally is getting cheaper.

We could be about to see a turnaround on that as buyers wise up to the fact that a $1 article will never rank for anything, and so it's a dollar wasted.

PassGoSEO, Jan 14, 2013 IP
  5. Hijynx427

Hijynx427 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Moumita RC - your post lis littered with grammatical errors. Maybe an Indian webmaster may say, "you have good Englishs" but in reality around the States, you are still not functioning at prime rate level. Please - don't let that encourage you to work for sub-prime rates - you give my potential clients garbage content if you are an ESL student and you don't even realize it. You think it's a "deal". Cheap writing for them and wages that translate into enough rupees for you. Well sir, I speak dollars. Anybody that wants to hire at humane rates can experience the difference of working with someone who meets deadlines and doesn't kid around when submitting a final draft. When my clients get my work, that's where the buck stops. My work needs no revisions.

I wish that people that don't speak my language would stop getting paid for it.

Sigh.

Hijynx427, Jan 16, 2013 IP
  6. Brain Copy

Brain Copy Member

Best Answers:
    Nice!

I'm a copywriter and I see people charging $97 to do a piece of copy for a client... That's OUTRAGES!
    I wouldn't give somebody a critique for less than $400 and I wouldn't consider writing copy for
    less than $2,000. My grammar is horrible but, that's why I have a full-time proofreader.

I'm tired of seeing people 'drive' the market down and flood the market place with crap.

In fact, my mentor wont even talk to you if you don't have at least $12K... PERIOD

Anyways, your time is what you make of it. Ask for what your worth.

Best Regards,
    Brain Copy

Brain Copy, Jan 17, 2013 IP
  7. uk_solutions

uk_solutions Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Trouble is people are located in different places in the world, so $5 might be lots to a guy in India, he can pay for food for a whole day with that, but $5 to a guy in Switerland will just about get him a packet of fries

uk_solutions, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  8. Hijynx427

Hijynx427 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going to make this as simple as, "point, game, match".

Senobia initially wrote to inform you AWFUL dickbags that underpay...

STOP UNDERPAYING OR SIMPLY STOP POSTING ALL TOGETHER. THERE ARE REAL WRITERS ON THE BOARDS TRYING TO MAKE A LIVING. IF YOU ARE A SLEAZE-EATING ESL TWO-WEEK POST GRADUATE, DO NOT EXPECT COMPENSATION FOR MY WRITTEN LANGUAGE.

WE DIDN'T EXPECT HINDI TRANSLATION PAY AFTER 2 YEARS OF STUDYING YOUR STINKING LANGUAGE. DO NOT EXPECT 2-5 YEARS OF REMEDIAL ENGLISH TO STAND HEAVY AGAINST OVER TWO, OR THREE DECADES OF LEARNED ENGLISH AS A PRIMARY LANGUAGE.

THANK YOU.

If there were any "confusing" parts, let me know. I'll explain them for you. I put the important parts in CAPS so you'd translate them first.

Last and finally, I want to get back to Senobia's original point. There is a poignant moment reminiscing upon the original intent. It has been overshadowed by pitiful writers trying to "one-up" each other.

Regardless of your stead here, if you speak the language Senobia and I were brought up with, the language of American English, you'll quickly realize the value of what you offer here. Don't sell yourself short and don't let anyone, regardless of how impressive they make themselves out to sound, intimidate you. You are your best bet. If you can do honest, earnest and successful business, GOD BLESS YOU.

Just realize that honesty means integrity. Earnest living means hard work. Success is measured by the fish judging it, not the pond in which it is attained.

My point - everyone has a place here - including ESL writers. Editors should recognize the difference between the QUALITY of writing between the two. If they don't at first, THIS is the warning that extremely low rates are 99.9% of the time paired with extremely low quality.

'Nuff said.

J. Matthew Mueller
    Hunter S. Thompson's Ghost

PS: "You awful jackasses that think he's kidding; I've seen the knife. 8.5 inches of solid steel. The kind of blade that makes you think, 'God damn. I really am a predatory, adrenaline-pumping killer, aren't I?' Give to Caesar what is his. This man thinks he's Caesar. Who are we to say he isn't?" ~The Ghost of H.S. Thompson

Hijynx427, Jan 24, 2013 IP
    Senobia likes this.
  9. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    Matthew, while somewhat strident, has voiced a very important fact. His assertion is backed up by all the changes Google have recently instituted, and in a day or two I'll post a video showing you exactly how dangerous it is to buy and attempt to use cheap content. The video will be unambiguous, and can be replicated at will by anyone who still doubts that cheap content WILL damage your website.

PassGoSEO, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  10. Lewis Doe

Lewis Doe Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I always ask for parity or get the job provider to show what they are willing to pay.

I do this because copywriting is now very competitive and you can price yourself out of decent work if you say you want a certain amount straight away.

If you explain this in a reasonable way, more often than not you'll negotiate your way to a fair deal.

Lewis Doe, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @Hijynx427
    You've simply got to learn to start speaking your mind. Stop pussy footing around, why don't you tell us how you *really* feel!:)

Spoiltdiva, Jan 27, 2013 IP
    PassGoSEO likes this.
  12. pamon

pamon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    nice post but finding anyone but corporate or marketing firms who will pay those rates makes it useless. Not many forums or websites are hiring writers for those rates. Might find some, but interesting list nonetheless. Noted that they are trying to sell memberships to their site to get membership and thus land those jobs.

pamon, Jan 27, 2013 IP
  13. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck selling yourself for that much. You are going to need it.

thesickearth, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  14. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:

Did I say I do or that I intend to charge those rates?

Senobia, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  15. thesickearth

Best Answers:
    You make it look like those rates are average and normal for any schmoe in the business.
    Out of curiosity, what do you write about? Or you are one of those geniuses that cover anything from acne and elk hunting to quantum physics and babophernalia as long as there is a $50 note on the horizon?

16. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Lately I've been busy compiling an ebook about asshats on Internet forums. You want in? I'll make ya famous. ;)

Senobia, Feb 11, 2013 IP
    sandarr likes this.
  17. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Anyone who is looking for written content at a percentage of a cent per word deserves the output they get. Even new writers building a reputation will quickly grow into a more normalized rate. It also depends on the topics they cover, and the type of work they do.

I only charge $0.02 per word for blog work, which makes up most of my income, and I make a pretty damn decent wage because I have long term clients who require simple work that is well written in topics I understand very well.

For research heavy work, professional work or the occasional salescopy I have written (not often, as I don't enjoy it), I charge about $0.05 per word. Though these are usually for internet based products, not official companies. This is what I honestly feel I deserve, on both counts. I do not have a degree, just a natural talent and plenty of experience over the last five years.

If someone is more educated, has professional experience and is working for more official sources, I say $0.25+ per word is more than fair. I definitely don't feel I have the right to dictate what they charge. But as a buyer, you get what you pay for. I can guarantee that anyone charging some of the low ball rates I have seen here are not even worth what they are asking for.

oo87, Feb 11, 2013 IP
  18. thesickearth

Best Answers:
    Oh so I did hit the nail on that one huh. So how much a professional like you should be paid for an article on quantum physics or babophernalia?

19. thesickearth

Best Answers:
    How can you make a decent wage writing for 2 cents a word? Do you live in Bangladesh/Cambodia?
    Can you send me a link to a few examples of your writing

20. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Marketplace should not be determining when it comes to setting your rates.

If you are a good writer, you deserve to be paid what your writing is worth. If a prospective client thinks you are asking too much, there will be other that pays your price.

In such case scenario, cheapskate clients are the big losers because they often get from someone else what they are paying for (crap) needing to redo the job themselves or having to pay again to get someone fixing or rewriting the mess, while a few other might learn the lesson and pay what a professional writing service is really worth.

There is a good reading on this topic right here, http://allfreelancewriting.com/freelancers-4-tips-for-dealing-with-cheapskate-clients/

Mystique, Feb 11, 2013 IP