1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Discussing about DirBull.com

Discussion in 'Directories' started by suwandichen13, Jan 19, 2013.

1. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    He said Here since 1998 << maybe he started involving Forums discussing at 1998.
    just guesing , but we can ask directly MIA

suwandichen13, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  2. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    They are again not ranking well for their name. Search for dirbull com

CanadianEh, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  3. jhnrang

jhnrang Notable Member

Best Answers:
    jhnrang, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  4. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The forums were not always forums. They were in fact a mailing list. ""
    2004 is when the lists became the forums. Nothing secret. I was a member of that original isp-list.

Mia, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  5. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I do not recall any forums existing in 1998. The discussion for just about everything was done using some type of list serve.

Mia, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  6. web2soft

web2soft Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sir this is because google just released ZEBRA

web2soft, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  7. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    zebra my @ss . i like to vomit every time i thinking about penguin & panda.lol

suwandichen13, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  8. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think the fact that the PR is fraudulently obtained has a lot more to do with it.

Mia, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  9. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Doesn't matter. People see the directory of directory websites like Directory Critic recommending these sites, and even promoting the idea people should submit to the higher pagerank directories. Google then supports this by stating that sites with a higher pagerank will rank higher in search results. I have to say that running an honest directory is very difficult right now, especially general directories. It is not impossible, but expect to see dishonest people getting rewarded for hacking and buying links.

dvduval, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  10. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    i dont think all directories of directories think the same.

http://www.sbwire.com/press-release...google-to-end-hacking-for-pagerank-205041.htm

has anyone reported these sites to google? do they even read the reports?

tornado!, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  11. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    So Cutts is now suggesting that 'regular people' use the PR tool bar to grade reputation of a website?

I want what he's smoking... I doubt the "regular people" out there even know wtf PR is. And to suggest that Page Rank is a good method for judging the legitimacy of a web site is like suggesting the calorie listing on McDonalds products is a good way of dieting.

Mia, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  12. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good one. I see you don't believe him either.

CanadianEh, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  13. web2soft

web2soft Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ya
    If the PR is result of good links then it never dropped also you must have quality traffic , backlinks and social profile

web2soft, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I think it is utterly ridiculous to suggest anyone other than SEO's or site owners (and there a very few of them too) look at or know what PR is, much less care. I find it even more ridiculous to suggest that google's grading of a sites rank legitimizes a web site, company, venture, etc...

Mia, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  15. arrisweb

arrisweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    maybe, "dirbull.com" is on google, but on "dirbull" not, btw it shows PR4 now

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    arrisweb, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  16. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Golly, isn't that sweet. Dan and David have been attacking this head on for weeks. V7 comes to the game late. Talks a good game. Encourages people to get involved. They publish a list the people actually doing something already had, proclaims they are working hard by encouraging others to do the work and then attack the person who is actually reporting this to Google and the affected site owners.

Now the folks at V7 make a press release and don't even mention the two people who have done the most to combat this problem and in the process implies they are the ones taking action? How charming. :(

YMC, Feb 8, 2013 IP
    silencer and Mia like this.
  17. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK, I'm so tired of this holier than thou crap about directory lists and people shooting at each other. Call Dan a snob and arrogant for trying to help you make money from your directories? How about this...People of V, put your money where your mouth is, clean up your list and show how much you walk the walk instead of just talking the talk about banding together to make the industry better...
    And that's just the first 5 of the list.

Oh and V7, great job on publicizing this for your own benefit. Several of the domains on the list you posted have made their whois information private. They're dated 02/06/13 - hours after your post. Great job on making it harder for the folks who are actively trying to stop this. This is exactly why it had no business on a public forum.

And you also might want to search your site for promotional threads from these hackers. I found two without looking very hard.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    YMC, Feb 8, 2013 IP
    silencer likes this.
  18. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that press release is a bit of a joke and actually confirms my thoughts exactly as I stated them on v7n. The directory of directories involved in that press release is grandstanding. They were initially against doing anything, because they saw it as a waste of time. They asked what was going to be different this time since DirBull got away with it last time this discussion took place.

My answer: I'm involved.

I didn't get involved last time. Why? I naively thought Google would hammer them, as a very easy to spot fraud. The fact that they have a massive network, makes it even easier to spot. However, sometimes you need to lead the horse to the water. Reporting is how we got some major damage done to DirCut and DirBull and the rest of their network of hacker sites.

The true champions in this fight are Bruce Swedal and David Duval. Both have done a lot of research and put in a lot of time and effort. In short, rather than discussing they have been ACTING.

I've been doing a lot of grunt work. I reported every single directory in DirCut at least once, for being on DirCut basically. Then slowly I've been going through (and with David's assistance) picking them off again 1-by-1 for every site they've hacked and reporting them to Google, and notifying the owners of their hacked links.

I've reported some directories as many as 4 times (dirbull and medranks).

We've also notified a few of the software vendors whose software is being exploited to allow the vulnerabilities.

That's action. That's getting things done, and we are seeing results. David's managed to have a discussion with Creative Commons and assisted them in removing the link from their site which was inserted by the hacker without their knowledge.

Press releases, particularly ones that seek to profit or gain or advertised their own self interests in the guise of being pro-active are not only a joke, but a complete waste of time. Whilst the rest of us are actually doing something (reporting these hackers) the writers of the press release are standing around expecting to be applauded for their "involvement". Which is tantamount to nothing.

This thing is weeks old. The press release comes very late to the party.

silencer, Feb 8, 2013 IP
    robjones likes this.
  19. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yup, that press release is a joke alright. Tell that to all the other directory owners out there that want to do business in an industry where a few bad apples really ruin it for everyone. Tell that to all the submitters that were "snookered" and the ones that are still being "snookered" from their submissions.

You've done more work running your mouth on forums trying to trash me more than anything else. That much I will give you credit for. I posted a large chunk of the network on V7N so others could get involved. I posted the press release so others (including Google) could get involved.

Yet you are here too running your mouth too. For what? Do you have an ego complex?

It's pretty pathetic that you are running from forum to forum trying to impress everyone as if someone is trying to steal your show. I was nice before, but my patience is wearing thin. I put out money and effort to help protect an industry that you apparently think is your own. Additionally, a couple people personally contacted me about helping to deal with this network, which I responded to. So please get off my case and quit wasting my time. Your childish nonsense is getting quite irritating. My involvement in this situation is for the industry and for the couple people that contacted me, nothing else. I don't want the show, or to "grandstand" as you call it. I want Google to take the network down, without any tantrums from you. Once that occurs, I MAY quietly go away. But I'm beginning to think that this industry needs more than you dictating how each directory owner should respond to industry-wide threats (including me).

snowbird, Feb 8, 2013 IP
  20. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think the major difference between this time and last time is that instead of people gathering around the water coolers going "Oh, my this is awful", there are a few of you saying "Oh, no, enough is enough. We are going to do something."

As to the PM referencing my comment about keeping this issue quiet. A good analogy would be posting on Facebook, that the neighborhood watch has decided to do something about Mary the crack dealer on the corner and that they are going to start keeping track of the license plates of people who buy her drugs starting Saturday night. Do you really think it would take all that long for Mary to get wind of the plan and simply shut her doors while the sting is scheduled or move to the next neighborhood?

YMC, Feb 8, 2013 IP