1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

True Or Fake Email From: Enforcement@mm-facebook.com

Discussion in 'Facebook' started by mercom1, Feb 7, 2013.

?

true or fake email from: enforcement@mm-facebook.com

1. true

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. fake

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    Hello I have a autoblog buyface-booklikes.com to day I receive his email
    anybody know if this email are true ??? or just are any kind of scam

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Whom It May Concern,

We are writing concerning your registration and use of the domain name buyface-booklikes.com, which contains the famous Facebook trademark.

As you undoubtedly know, Facebook is the leading online social network service. Facebook adopted the name and trademark Facebook in February 2004 and, since that time, Facebook has actively used the Facebook name and trademark in connection with its online social network service, including maintaining the web site www.Facebook.com. The term Facebook is one of the most famous trademarks on the Internet. Facebook owns exclusive trademark rights to the Facebook name as a result of numerous trademark registrations in the United States and internationally, as well as related common law rights. Accordingly, Facebook enjoys broad trademark rights in its name.

Facebook has made a substantial investment in developing and providing its services. As a result of Facebook’s pioneering efforts and devoting substantial effort and resources to providing only high quality services, the Facebook name and trademarks are widely known among the consuming public worldwide, and the name and trademarks embody substantial and valuable goodwill.

Accordingly, we were concerned when we learned of your registration and use of buyface-booklikes.com. As we hope you can appreciate, protection of its trademarks is very important to Facebook. Your registration and use of buyface-booklikes.com violates the Lanham Act (15 U.S.C. 1051 et seq.) because it infringes and dilutes the famous Facebook trademark.

Infringement occurs when a third party’s use of a company’s trademark (or a confusingly similar variation thereof) is likely to confuse consumers as to the affiliation, sponsorship or endorsement of the third party’s services. Trademark dilution occurs when a third party’s use of a variation of a company’s trademark is likely to lessen the distinctiveness of the company’s famous trademark.

We have filed several proceedings before the United Nation's World Intellectual Property Organization's arbitration panel. Facebook has prevailed in each case and the domain names at issue were all ordered to be transferred to Facebook. Facebook is concerned that your unauthorized use of the Facebook name may cause confusion as to whether you or your company’s activities are authorized, endorsed or sponsored by Facebook when, in fact, they are not.

We understand that you may have registered buyface-booklikes.com without full knowledge of the law in this area. However, Facebook is concerned about your use of the Facebook trademark in your domain name. As you may know, the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act provides for serious penalties (up to $100,000 per domain name) against persons who, without authorization, use, sell, or offer for sale a domain name that infringes another’s trademark.

While Facebook respects your right of expression and your desire to conduct business on the Internet, Facebook must enforce its own rights in order to protect its valuable and famous trademark. For these reasons, and to avoid consumer confusion, Facebook must insist that you immediately stop using buyface-booklikes.com and disable any site available at that address. You should not sell, offer to sell, or transfer the domain name to a third party and should let the domain registration expire.

Please confirm in writing that you will agree to resolve this matter as requested. If we do not receive confirmation from you that you will comply with our request, we will have no choice but to pursue all available remedies against you.

Sincerely,

Ethel

Legal Dept.
    Facebook, Inc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anybody know if this email are true ??? or just are any kind of scam

mercom1, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  2. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see anything that would make it seem fake. It looks to be a true and accurate email from Facebook.

browntwn, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  3. Riboflavin

Riboflavin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Seems pretty scam-y to me, can you post the full headers of the email?

Riboflavin, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  4. pupul

pupul Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, it's not fake mail. They can go for court.

pupul, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  5. mercom1

mercom1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Headers are here

enforcement

buyface-bo​oklikes.co​m - Notice of Facebook Trademark Infringeme​nt [Case #206046]

mercom1, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  6. Riboflavin

Best Answers:
    Full headers should include the IP it was sent from. What email client are you using?

7. browntwn

Best Answers:
    I am curious what about it you think is scammy?

browntwn, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  8. mercom1

mercom1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think are true I follow the email address and see a legal website in facebook for brand permissions I stopedd my blog :eek: mm-facebook.com

mercom1, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  9. Riboflavin

Best Answers:

It is addressed to 'whom it may concern' and doesn't include any contact information, email, phone number, etc. Not even a last name of the sender.

10. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I think the lack of a name is because there is not one one the domain registration. As for the lack of a last name and contact info of the sender, I see how that could be seen as too casual for a legal letter.

I still think it is from Facebook, but I do see how those might make you think otherwise.

browntwn, Feb 7, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  11. Riboflavin

Best Answers:
    Well the only way to know for sure is if the OP posts full headers.

12. adinugroho

adinugroho Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I was check the mm-facebook.com information and that is valid facebook domain. I think that's better if you shutdown your services.

adinugroho, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  13. Riboflavin

Best Answers:
    It is easy to spoof an email sender/domain.

14. adinugroho

adinugroho Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    yes, the best method is check the header. but I don't see mercom1 send the header

adinugroho, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  15. browntwn

Best Answers:
    The text of that same letter has been sent for years by facebook. He can check the headers, but there is no question it is legit.

browntwn, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  16. Riboflavin

Best Answers:
    I guess you could call it quits and shut down your site, but if it was me I would definitely want to be talking to someone on the phone and verify they actually work for Facebook before taking any action.

17. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Whether or not you think it has merit, and how you want to respond, is another question entirely. The fact that is actually came from facebook is hardly a question in my mind.

browntwn, Feb 7, 2013 IP
  18. johnnybgood1991

johnnybgood1991 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I got the same email. Sent by the same person. I got it after I showed a domain sales company some of my domains. I think it is fake. They say it is illegal to sell or buy. So your telling me that Godaddy didn't know this? Your telling me that Godaddy committed a $100,000 crime and has done it multiple times? It seems to me that someone sees the value of our domains and want them for themselves for cheap. What better way then to have us just let it expire and then buy it for themselves for $12. I ask them to prove they are who they say they are. I also asked them why Godaddy is aloud to sell the domain and I'm not. I have seen a lot of high ranking and low ranking 5 year old websites domains with facebook in it and not one has been banned by the government. Maybe they pay facebook to use the "trademark" but what about the low end sites that can't afford to pay facebook for their use of the "trademark"?

johnnybgood1991, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  19. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone whom buy a domain should concern about copyright things. Lets imagine what will happen if our product was being copied by the others. It would make us mad.
    I didn't like to talk about domain name infringement or the like. I wish OP bought another domain and rank it. Buying "buy-likes.com" or "get-likes" or "likes-for-you" will give the same effect in SEO and SERP. The most important thing is optimization.
    I would rather choose "this-is-my-domain-and-i-am-happy-with-it.com" and rank it better for "get likes for everything including Facebook likes" rather than getting domain which may infringe the law copyright and legality things.
    Even if the email above is fake (I was thinking the email wasn't fake - Let's hope OP doing some traceroute), it just about time someone told FB and they will eventually bring the case to the court. Don't ask me whether they will really bring it to the court or not. Don't even ask me whether they will do some actions or not. I couldn't answer such question. If Facebook think the domain is purchased to hurt their brand, they may act with some legal moves.
    The best solution would be:
    1. Redirect domain to another domain (301)
    2. Change the whole theme (not content)
    3. Do not purchase domain which has the copyright. All domain has possibility to rank for specified keywords. It is better to use company name rather than EMD domain.
    Those simple thing would avoid domain infringement policy.
    Please understand the opinion above were just my on opinion which was written without deep research and legal advice from qualified person.
    Arick.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
    Arick unirow, Jun 14, 2013 IP
  20. Mark Berger

Mark Berger Member

Best Answers:
    post the entire email header and we can tell you more, i'm very curious to see it. seems scam to me though.

Mark Berger, Jun 15, 2013 IP
  21. zinghana

zinghana Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey all...

Identical Email..but MINE IS INSTAGRAM RELATED THO !! NOT FB.

I have the Exact same email tho with different domain names... Should i look at this as a serious issue or a fake email ??

Regards, Darren

zinghana, Oct 9, 2013 IP