1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Need Shared Hosting For Https Connection - 3 Years

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by pesst, Jan 23, 2013.

Hi, to set up an HTTTS connection I need:
    - affordable shared hosting
    - a dedicated IP
    - SSL certificate

So far, best offer found is at hostgator (3 years shared of shared: $143 + dedicated IP: $72 + $10 certiticate installation) and certificate from COMODO positive SSL ($24) = $249 in total

Do you have a better offer? thanks a lot

UPDATE: I have found at ix webhosting 3 years including 1 dedicated ip for $128 using coupon: SCENE
    Still need to ask for fees of cert installation

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    pesst, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  2. ironcladservers

ironcladservers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could easily beat that pricing, if I do so believe :) However do you have any current requirements such as disk space/bandwidth? Server location and/or control panel?

ironcladservers, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  3. pesst

pesst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for replying,

I dont have any requirements (it is a small PHP+MySQL custom script to move real cash to virtual balance and do stuff), I know their control panel is not CPanel but their price is impossible to be beaten (unless you find a working "50% OFF" coupon). They will install for free any SSL cert I give from third party also.

Total price (2 years): expert plan ($85) with "scene" coupon + free cert installation + free domain + free dedicated Ip + positive SSL COMODO certificate from cheapSSL.com ($17) = $102

Isn't it cheap having a https website running for 2 years? :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    pesst, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  4. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Actually You can't compare Hostgator and IXwebhosting because IX hosting do not offer cPanel control panel. They just give their own control panel.
    However, I think you don't need to buy a SSL certificate separately because HG gives https protocol through a shared SSL.
    If you really don't need cPanel, then you can think about IX hosting. But don't forget to check about their uptime, quality of customer support etc.

dumindushalika, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  5. pesst

pesst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry, but price is unbeatable. I've checked their custom panel and it is nice.
    Shared SSL sucks since your domain is not shown and customers can evade security studying a bit its structure.

cheers!

pesst, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  6. JFSG

JFSG Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I were you I'll avoid both HostGator and IX Web Hosting as they are both owned by the notorious Endurance International Group (EIG). Hosts having under their management have nothing short of horrible service.

JFSG, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  7. HostMantis

HostMantis Active Member

Best Answers:
    And there are plenty of hosts who won't lock you in for 3 years in order to get a good price!

HostMantis, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  8. concerto49

concerto49 Greenhorn

Best Answers:

Agrees. This 3 year lock in doesn't make much sense.

concerto49, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  9. interservermike

interservermike Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

You have more options to choose from the offers section, I suggest you can try services first before deciding, there are some host that offers trial periods so you can check their services. :)

interservermike, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  10. pesst

pesst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen positive reviews of IX webhosting, dont think I can find something cheaper with that features, otherwise shoot me with your offers if you want.

pesst, Jan 24, 2013 IP
  11. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

You have to look at it this way...$102 for 2 years comes out to about $4.25/mo. That's certainly not a bad price at all considering it comes with a dedicated IP. The only thing you need to question is whether or not you want to be locked in for 2 years with a company you have never dealt with before. You can get pretty darn close to that price with other companies, without the long contract.

But it's certainly not a bad price if you don't mind the contract length.

WSWD, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  12. micksss

micksss Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I was with IX a few years ago and decided to leave them due to frequent slowdowns and downtime. They gave me a pro-rated refund for the amount left on my two year plan. So if they still provide pro-rated refunds if you are unhappy with their service then I see no problem getting the lower rate by signing up for a longer period.

micksss, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  13. pesst

pesst Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lol thanks for the replies, also to WSWD,

if IX webhosting does pro-rated refunds, thats a good point; even if I am happy I can lie and see what happens lol

the point is my budget is around 100 bucks and need to run a service for at least 2 years, it is not about being locked (also, more years is cheaper each month).

I was about to choose 3 years, but discount was the same with the 2 years option.

pesst, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  14. jeff-ay

jeff-ay Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd agree with this spec 3 years back, but probably not now.
    shared hosting and SSL price getting more competitive, anytime you can get cheap or dirt cheap packages. Furthermore, clients in / out very fast, especially personal hosting, people can easily migrate to cheap host at anytime, no point to lock for 3 years.

jeff-ay, Jan 28, 2013 IP