1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. maxauthority

maxauthority Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I had to break the habit of writing only when I am 'in the mood.' I made progress when I got into the habit of writing 20 to 30 articles a day. The key is effective OUTLINE strategies. It's all in the outline.

maxauthority, Jan 19, 2013 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @maxauthority,
    Breaking old habits has to do with disapline, a recurring theme in this thread. Perhaps that is the answer as to how one writes when not in the mood?
    But....most writers I've worked with and know on a personal level are not 9 to 5ers, and lack this essential character asset. Creative types are free wheelers and usually don't take well to wearing a harness.:)

Spoiltdiva, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  3. Arunrajvs

Arunrajvs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    When I am not in good mood to write, I don't write. However, if I am under the burden of paying off my bills, no matter what mood I am I will be to create content but at a slow pace. Its only about getting started. I have my own blogs. So, when I am not in good mood, I write for my blogs (since they are based on things which I am interested in). It helps me get started and then I can write on other topics.

Arunrajvs, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  4. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    There's a few teething pains with the new DP and last posts aren't all appearing in the right order, but all will be running smoothly soon.:)
    Anyway Arunrajvs you don't write when not in the mood. That is o.k. if you are a freelancer but those under contract (writers working for advertising firms for example) have to produce when presented with the task.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    Spoiltdiva, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  5. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    It rhymes with the word frolicking :)

dcristo, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  6. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Flolicking:((dictionary definition)
    A merry play.
    To gamble or party.
    To play in a frisky light hearted manner.
    To gamble merrily.
    It all sounds like stuff Aussies would enjoy doing.:)

Spoiltdiva, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  7. cjp214

cjp214 Member

Best Answers:
    @ Miss Spoiltdiva (funny username!):

I apologize if this idea has already been suggested; I didn't wade through all the replies in this thread. I write fiction, non-fiction, blog, copywrite, etc. It's not uncommon for me to write 3,000 words a day.

And as much as I love doing it, there are plenty of days when I'd rather gouge out my eyeballs than put pen to paper, or fingers to keys, or what have you.

Here's what I do. I pick a block of time for 50 minutes because I work in 50 minutes "on", 10 minutes "off" chunks). Say it's 8:00 a.m. I sit down at my computer, set a timer for 50 minutes... and I wait. The only rules for this game are I can either keep sitting there looking out the window, or I can write.

I can't get up. I can't surf the internet, play on my phone, or do anything else.

It works. Eventually you'll get bored enough that you'll start writing. Just start somewhere. Start spewing out whatever comes to mind to open up the floodgates. A lot of times I'll start out with "I don't feel like writing at all today. This is annoying. I can't believe I'm here...etc, etc."

The key is overcoming that mental inertia. Once you start writing (even if it's about nonsense), it's a lot easier to rein yourself in and write about what you need to write about than start from a dead stop.

Oh yeah, one more tidbit from one of my favorite writers:
    "I write only when inspiration strikes. Fortunately it strikes every morning at nine o'clock sharp." (W. Somerset Maugham)

You get the idea. Good luck!

Corey

cjp214, Jan 23, 2013 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  8. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @cjp214
    It appears that you've got a very good routine that works for you. I'll be sure to get my writer friend who has occassional writers block to read your post.(actually I think I'll just send it to her)
    As to my username it comes from one of my former room mates. I was renting to this couple and the guy would often refer to his girlfriend as a "spoiltdiva". The name just stuck with me and I decided to use it here.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  9. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    If I'm not in the mood to actually write, I'll post on a forum or two if there is a thread I can participate in. Just the simple act of thinking about the question I want to ask or the reply I want to make and then typing it out, wakes my brain and fingers up a bit. Then I can leave and start working.

At times I don't bother with forums. I'll start my work time by writing a post for one of my own blogs. The pressure isn't on because I choose what I want to write about, in the style I want to write, and I'm not concerned about how many words. I just simply start writing. After I've finished an article, I'll move on to other writing work.

TextServices, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  10. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @TextServices
    It sounds like you are a natural writer, you merely require a gentle nudge and the ball starts rolling. I am the same way.
    I do confess to feeling sorry for those writers who are contrived and need to be prompted by all sorts of stimuli. They get into writing because they think that it would be interesting and perhaps the lifestyle appeals to them.
    Intelligent, talented, driven and knowledgeable, but alas.....not natural writers.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 23, 2013 IP
  11. blueink

blueink Member

Best Answers:
    I have posted on this thread before and I will do so again @spoiltdiva.

Because today I am so not in the mood. To write. I have wasted precious hours today on Facebook looking at photos of friends long gone and on websites which post weird news stuff from around the world. Yes, I love them weird websites. I think its best not to write on days when you are not in the mood. No matter how hard I try, I am going to end up writing crap today. So instead of making unhappy clients having to read the awful crap I write today, I will take a self-imposed holiday today. Go shopping may be. Eat lots of fried stuff. Watch crap shows on TV. And love myself for it. Ha! So there. Made my point. I am not feeling quite so crappy now. :D

blueink, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  12. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @blueink
    While I no longer write I used to and on days when I wasn't in the mood I produced crap. I do believe in the name of self respect and *quality control* that if a writer is in the position money wise where they can take a day or two off to recharge their creative batteries, then they ought to do so.

Spoiltdiva, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  13. rollingreen

rollingreen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    honestly if im not in the mood i just roll up a J and kick back and listen to some music. about 15 minutes after that I know exactly what i need to say. maybe it's a little different, but for most landing pages i create for my campaigns thats how i do it and it works every time.

rollingreen, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your honesty, but telling us that you write content when stoned is *probably* not going to increase your clientele.:)

15. ParmveerSingh

ParmveerSingh Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I need to force myself and take is as my routine job. We cann't follow our mood if we need success.

ParmveerSingh, Jan 25, 2013 IP
  16. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @ParmveerSingh
    I hear what you are saying and fundamentally I agree but, what you are alluding to is disapline. Some of us are fortunate to be born with this, with others it is acquired or learnt. Still others never develop this at all and cannot create if their not in the right mindset or mood.
    So the question remains, how do they write when the're not in the mood?

17. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    When I worked full-time in the real world, I was very disciplined. I knew I had to be at work at a certain time and what tasks were to be completed during my work hours. I was focused. Even now when I go to work in the real world at odd times, (I take care of a herd of horses, take people on trail rides through the mountains, and fill-in at a dental office when an assistant is on vacation or out sick), I'm focused and get the job done.

When I left my full-time career to work from home for myself full-time, it was quite the adjustment for me. I worked from home part-time before that to build my business, but transitioning into full-time work at home, isn't as easy as it sounds. I was not born with discipline. It's way too easy for me to screw off when left to my own devices. It took a lot of fumbling around and watching my income dip before I was able to figure out a routine that worked and stick to it. It was brutal because I can really be my own worst enemy. One day, I just bit the bullet and stuck to a routine. A few minor adjustments here and there, but I stuck to a routine. After a few weeks, it got easier. I broke a lot of habits / distractions. It wasn't easy because part of me just wanted to spend all day horseback riding or anything other than sitting at a computer, using my brain, and writing.

I had days, and still do, where I hate everything I write. If I write and then start to hate everything I just wrote, (being my own worst enemy), not really wanting to write, I simply walk away from the computer. I'll find something else to do. A distraction. There is no sense in forcing yourself to write. After a little bit, the mood passes and I'm able to come back to the computer with a clearer head and better attitude. I'm human. I have bad days and off days every once in awhile. lol! The key is to not let those times get the better of you and completely take over. Don't beat yourself up or feel guilty because a day wasn't as productive as you would have liked. We are not all at the top of our game every single day. The thing is, even on those off days, write something. Even if you trash it the next day. Write something every single day.

Some days are good days, but I'm just not sure what I want to write, how to begin, so I'll work on something of my own, (like update one of my own blogs), to wake my brain and fingers up. Then I can work on the task at hand.

TextServices, Jan 25, 2013 IP
    Karen May Jones, YMC and Spoiltdiva like this.
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @TextServices
    Very good answer and you've covered all the bases. This is the best answer on this thread thus far. It appears that I can't give you *best answer* as this thread was created before the new changes. Will see what I can do about that.:)
    P.S. Shawn(Digitalpoint) has now given us the capability to give *best answers* on this forum.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  19. rachelsalmon

rachelsalmon Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hello Sir,

It's our job. Like millions all over the world, we need to work in working hours even if we are not at our best mood. However, self motivation and dedication is the key here.

Thanks.

rachelsalmon, Feb 3, 2013 IP
  20. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @rachelsalmon The operative word in your post is "need". Yes need will take precedent over "mood". So....when this is the reality are we then *producing* or *writing*. This to me is another question.:)

Spoiltdiva, Feb 5, 2013 IP