1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

NameCheap.com Scam!! Do Not Buy From them domains!

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by imranamen6, Jan 12, 2013.

I owned a Airfrancebooking.com i renewed the domain a week ago for 2 years. And all of a sudden the domain name disappeared from my account without any notification to me no message in my inbox!

Namecheap.COM has Stolen MY domain name!

When i contact them they are saying

please note that your domain name contains a registered trademark name

unfortunately you should get in touch with eNom at to clarify the issue as the domain is no longer in our system.

Note: I did not put any logo of third party or any other material was not copied from anywhere it was all unique content!

Is this not a scam???

imranamen6, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  2. Nbaelf

Nbaelf Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    air france is probably registered trademark.. -_-

Nbaelf, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  3. alphonet

alphonet Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i thought you could have a domain that was a TM so long as you didnt develop it to try and infring the copyright. i thought someone defended against mcdonals because his name was mcdonald for example, but maybe thats an urban myth.

alphonet, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  4. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Only if one thinks so. In this case, the domain name was likely cancelled because
    of potential trademark infringement.

NameCheap didn't "steal" the domain name, although I understand that's how you
    feel about it anyway. The least they can do is refund your money, so check that
    out.

The above goes to show how much some people actually know, much more really
    understand, intellectual property rights like copyright and trademark. While no one
    is born knowing these things, taking time to really understand how they really work
    can go a long way to possibly avoiding incidents like this.

In this case, trademarks apply because it involves a word or a phrase that domain
    name also has. The more unique and/or famous the trademark, the more likely that
    a market is going to "confuse" a domain name with its TM namesake.

With a domain name like AirFranceBooking.com bearing that of renowned airline Air
    France, coupled with the word booking to buy a ticket, well...let's just say that it
    has t-r-o-u-b-l-e written all over it.

Dave Zan, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  5. imranamen6

imranamen6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    But i have previously worked with affiliate programs who does not have any problem as long as we use a name with any word for an examples if i am promoting "Propecia" If i add a word like "BuyPropecia" will that have any illegal activity in that?

imranamen6, Jan 13, 2013 IP
  6. Dave Zan

Best Answers:
    If the makers of Propecia explicitly let you use their trademark in your domain registration
    to promote them, well and good. Alas, it doesn't mean others have to do the same thing,
    right?

The essential idea here is if you use someone's trademark in your domain name, there's a
    chance it might "confuse" the market into thinking you're associated or endorsed in some
    way with its mark holder. Rather than say it's "illegal" because legality depends on laws of
    a country, I'll just say that that kind of activity isn't allowed in many countries.

For a .com, though, there's an administrative proceeding addressing this issue even if the
    trademark holder and domain owner are in different countries. It won't matter where the
    domain name is registered or where its owner is located as long as it's a .com.

In case you ask, "well, by promoting the trademark, aren't they benefiting from me?", here
    is a question: if a user types "air france" or "propecia" or whatever, who do you think they
    are intending to look for? You...or the actual source of that product or service or so?

I hope you understand what I'm saying here and that it gives you something to consider.

Dave Zan, Jan 13, 2013 IP
  7. Techmaker

Techmaker Member

Best Answers:
    I never had issues with Namecheap and Godaddy. Both are great domain registered. The issue you had is more complex than you think.

Techmaker, Jan 16, 2013 IP
  8. JLMDevelopment

JLMDevelopment Peon Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I keep two accounts, so I can take advantage of coupons, and so I can take advantage of transfer deals. If GoDaddy wants me to renew at full price and Name Cheap has a deal for $2.99 transfers, I transfer the domains to my alternate account. It works for me ;)

JLMDevelopment, Jan 17, 2013 IP
  9. Techmaker

Techmaker Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, what a thinking. I never thought about such a way to save money. If you need there is a transfer deal on near future. Check the following article for more details

http://www.techblaster.net/2013/01/namecheap-announces-onepager-website-builder.html

Techmaker, Jan 17, 2013 IP
  10. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A registrar should not get involved in this case. You can register any domain TM or not.
    You as the owner of the domain have full responsibility for the domain you register not the registrar. So what they did is kind of illegal.
    I'd suggest you to do not use them anymore. A better alternative is Domain.gs

Good luck

dlatua, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  11. imranamen6

imranamen6 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    When i contacted namecheap they say it is enom who had kept the domain on hold and when i emailed enom they are saying that the domain seem to be not in your account so we cannot help!

imranamen6, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  12. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Did you received any email from namecheap saying they are removing your domain from your account? If yes, show to enom that email.

dlatua, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  13. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    even if its a trademark thing, they should at least send notification.

etc, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  14. andiklive

andiklive Member

Best Answers:
    air france is trademark name, like trademark adsense, wikipedia or facebook. your content is origin, but your domain name have trademark.

andiklive, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  15. RoachBlogger

RoachBlogger Active Member

Best Answers:
    In all honesty you are breaking copyright rules from terms of conditions. Namecheap are a great company, I have been with them for years. The issue you have is with Air France themselves instead of Namecheap.

RoachBlogger, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  16. Readymakers-sales

Readymakers-sales Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't like them, change them then.

Readymakers-sales, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  17. Dave Zan

Best Answers:
    Any update, OP?

Dave Zan, Jan 21, 2013 IP
  18. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    truncated whois of airfrancebooking.com

Administrative Contact:
    Societe Air France ()

seems enom/namecheap simlpy transferred that domain to airfrance ?

chandan123, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  19. Internet Marketing IQ

Internet Marketing IQ Guest

Best Answers:
    It's not the place of a registrar to enforce trademark law. You've learned a valuable lesson and why real businesses don't use Reseller's like NameCheap.

You can't call them on the telephone because they don't have any telephone numbers, so you must rely on someone on the other end actually giving a damn about your company. And how long are you willing to wait for your problem to excalate from the first level email contact (Who can not make any real decisions) to someone who can?

GoDaddy and NameSILO both offer telephone access when needed and are actual Registrars not just resellers. NameSILO is also less expensive than NameCheap and offers Free Privacy even at renewal. So instead of chasing down coupons to save 2 or 3 dollars and wasting all your time transferring back and forth create a business strategy with a real Registrar and stick with them. I understand using coupons at renewal at GoDaddy (They are more expensive than NameSilo by several dollars per domain) but to move back and forth makes no sense. Is your time really worth that little?

NameSILO is much cheaper than NameCheap - ironic isn't it?

Internet Marketing IQ, Jan 22, 2013 IP
  20. Mick2012

Mick2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    NameCheap is not a scam... I have ordered multiple domains from them before.

The reason why your domain was ceased is perfectly logical. TM domains do get confiscated. For example, if I had bought iPhone5.com before Apple did, the same would happen to me.

FYI, using Trademark domains can get you into trouble.

Mick2012, Jan 22, 2013 IP