1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Premium Member Question - branding-free enquiry

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by overhere, Jan 8, 2013.

Hello,

Regarding your email below, I purchased 'Premium Access' to be able to deploy your Sphinx-based search on my website. The subscription has been renewed for another month.

However, can you please tell me if you allow your Sphinx-based search module to be branding-free? If so, what is the cost of going branding-free together with continued, regular updates?

Or, do you not allow branding-free - if this is the case, surely, premium members should be permitted a branding-free option?

Thanks;

on 1/1/13 8:02 AM, Digital Point Forums wrote:>

Dear overhere,>>

Your access to the paid subscription "Premium Access" is about to expire.>> If you have selected a recurring subscription you will be automatically> billed for the renewal, else to renew this subscription you must visit> http://forums.digitalpoint.com/payments.php>> If you have created a recurring subscription in your PayPal account andwish> to cancel it, you can do so from within your PayPal account.>> If you do not extend your subscription, access will be removed.>> All the best,> Digital Point Forums>

overhere, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    We don't currently have a branding-free option, but hopefully we will before too long.

digitalpoint, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  3. overhere

overhere Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks - but i want to launch my website totally branding free and now! And only your Sphinx-based search module shows branding; all other mods are branding free - so, can you not sort out branding-free for me right now? "before too long" could still mean a long time?What you say?

overhere, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Sorry, we don't have a branding-free option at this time.

digitalpoint, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  5. overhere

Best Answers:
    ok but hurry up with branding free please!

overhere, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  6. overhere

Best Answers:
    Can you give me the link to where all the mods are available for premium members? (Direct me to your page where I can see each and every one of your mod that is available for use, to premium members, on their vBulletin forums...).

Or, are the only products available to premium members are the ones at this page products.digitalpoint.com? These seem to be available to any one? Please clarify....

Thank you.

overhere, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  7. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  8. overhere

Best Answers:
    Someone has messaged me offering to remove the branding for your Sphinx-based search module for a small fee - that person claims to have spoken to you. If his is true then you'll know who that person is? (And that person said that you will not proidde the branding free options for several months yet).So, if this is true, can you give me your permission to allow my own tech team to remove your brand for this mod? And, when you do provide the branding free option, I can buy that license at that time? Thanks.

overhere, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  9. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, we have not given permission to anyone. Who is it?

10. overhere

Best Answers:
    It's 'Garvie' - he said he spoke to you? If this is a lie then ou need to control such behaviour as I ma well have followed 'Garvie' and I would not have been at fault...And, as I asked before, can you let my techies remove your brand and I'll buy your brand-free licence once you bring it out?Thanks

overhere, Jan 10, 2013 IP
  11. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No sorry, it's still not something we offer at this time.

12. overhere

Best Answers:
    ok, i will simply wait for our branding-free offer to arrive - but, i have taken the time and trouble to report fraud to you (on this website) and i am a premium member so you should reward me with something??? I think this is a fair request.... I have a suggestion to make to you in this regard... ou can advise me on something? Shall I state whhat I have in mind?

overhere, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  13. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Lol... You want a reward for reporting something that ultimately prevented *you* from being defrauded? If anything, shouldn't you offer us a reward for us stopping you from being defrauded and throwing your money away?

As far as suggestions, you can suggest anything you want.

digitalpoint, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  14. overhere

Best Answers:
    Who owns this website? You or me?

I being a global merchandiser for a large UK clothing firm, who travels alot can tell you that when a customer buys something from a shop and that product turns out defective or not as advertised to be sold, its the retailer who is responsible to the customer, there is no obligation on the customer to dig out the supplier and take action against the supplier - the customer can only take the product bacck to the shop from whhere he purchased it... I am sure the consumer laws in the U.S. are not that different from our laws in the U.K. So, in this case you are the 'shop'' - you are the facilitator via which fraud has been attempted against a customer of this website - yes, if you don't know, that customer of this website is, yes, you guessed it, me.

And, more than that, as I said before, I have taken time and effort to report potential fraud on your own website - this is equal to taking the product back to the shop and explaining in detail what is wrong or defective with it and how the inconvenience would have caused me to lose time and money - its not just a matter of simply returning the product to the shop and asking for a replaccement - this causes loss of confidence on the part of the customer... you'll see what I mean.

If I buy a packed product from a shop its the shop owners responsibility to ensure that its in top condition - the customer is not obliged to unpack the product and check it... so, in comparison, you are responsible to ensure that there is no attempted fraud on this website which is your 'shop' - not mine. If I hadn't taken the time and effort to report the potential fraud to ou, the 'shop' owner, I would have been defrauded via your shop and you, as the facilitator, would ultimately be responsible....

So, my actions have alerted you to enable you to protect your other customers from 'Garvie' - so, for this effort - yes, you guessed it, you certainly owe me a debt of gratitude which I would like in the form of some private, quality guidance from you in relation to kick-starting my own vBulletin forum website, in relation to seo, and other early stage steps to be taken...

There are always 2 sides to a coin... I dont want to mention my websiite on this website publicly so I want to email you the details and you can then advise me via return email on kick-starting it?

Yours truly, in anticipation....

overhere, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Except whoever you talked to has no affiliation with us. Your analogy is inaccurate because it would be more like this...

You are in a store, and some random person in the store comes up to you and says they talked to the store manager and if you give them $100, you can just walk out of the store with whatever you want. The only person you really help by reporting them is yourself, because if you would have taken their offer, you probably would have lost your $100, *and* you would have still be liable for your actions against the store. You can't really claim to that store that the store is liable for the actions of a random patron in the store. Again, whoever you talked to had zero to do with us and anything you would have bought from them has nothing to do with us, nor would have any payment transactions happen with us or any goods/services come from us (certainly not the equivalent of a "packed product" purchased through us). They are not a partner of ours, they don't supply us with anything, they aren't an employee of ours, etc.

I still don't see the debt owed, back to the store analogy, you reported a customer who was trying to sell something they had no right to sell and get you in trouble while doing it. Ultimately it was you that had something to gain by reporting it, not the store.

There is no magic formula... creating a successful site is the same for any site. Simply create something that people *want* that they can't get anywhere else.

If you can do that (regardless of the site), it will be successful. If you cannot, it will most likely fail (or at least be 1000x more difficult).

digitalpoint, Jan 11, 2013 IP
  16. overhere

Best Answers:
    Whilst I admire you for what you have achieved, i.e. this is the reason why I am a paid member on your website, to get to the point, you've just (very clearly), contradicted ourself... you first said that I should reward you for you stopping me from being defrauded on your website after i took the liberty of warning you about fraud on your site (you didn't warn me)... you then give your store example, that if some guy in a store says he gave $100 to the store manager so that i can take from the store all that i want. These are 2 totally opposing statements? I'll explain:

1. Assuming I believe the guy and start taking all that i want from the store and then, according to you, I am liable for the theft... But, also according to you, the fact that i didn't get suspicious and that i didnt report the guy to the store before i started taking the stuff means that the store manager/store is not guilty in an way... You then say that under this scenario I should still reward the manager while at the same time being liable for alll the stuff i have taken from the store...

In which court of law will i get done at all, let alone 2 times, once for believing the guy who said he paid $100 to the store manager and once for the store manager's failure to stop the deceiver from being in the store in the first place? Think about it... and which court of law would not reprimand the store/store manager for then also taking a reward from me? (i.e. how has the store/store manager attempted to stop me in this scenario from being defrauded as you claim the first time?)

A clear example is this - you invite me into your house (your website) and i then discover that there is a thief already in your house stealing your stuff, but, i stay quiet and let the thief take alll your stuiff while i have a drink with you - i dont tell you any thing. I leave your house and then you find out that a thief has raided your house and that i saw the thief while i was in your house - arn't you gonna be ver angry with me for not telling you at the time? Would I not then be a criminal also along with the thief? Arn't you gonna want to make sure that non of your neighbours ever invite me to their house? Are you going to reward me for not warning you at the time? Wouldn't you want charges brought against me?

2. Now, assuming that i get suspicious and report the deceiver to the store maqnager - the store manager then throws out the deceiver immediately - why on earth in this regard would i reward the store/store manager when the deceiver was in the store property in the first place? (the store let the deciever in not me?). Obviously i have assisted the store in protecting other customers from being deceived as the deceiver has been removed? The store should ofcourse then reward me? Why would i reward the store? What's your rationale here?

I give you an example - i go searching on google for a car, i talk to a company from a normal search result, i get defrauded - yes, google is not responsible. But, that car company would never have got to me unles i had appproached them first. On our website the fraudster 'Garvie'' was able to approach me directly - you didn't provide any safeguards and vetting processes? no warning signs? Now, if i had clicked on a paid google ad for cars and i was still defrauded, then obviously google would be the guilty party as clearly the car advertiser on google wasn't vetted properly... in this case google is you. Google would then definitely warn others about that paid card advertiser and remove that party from advertising on google and i could claim damages from google.

3. Specifically here, if i had gone for Garvie's offer and paid him to remove your brand from the search mod, and you then found out that i had broken your rules for that mod and you took me to court, i would simply throw it all back to you vis a vis Garvie - and only you would get reprimanded for allowing fraud on your website and you would then be ordered to pay all my costs as well as compensation... trust me this is what would happen...

4. Simply put, here is your position - say you are the store manager (this website), and you did take $100 from the deceiver (you not stopping potentially/real fraudulent activity against your own mods on this site - no warning signs) to get him to tell genuine customers to unconsciously take stuff from the store - whose guilty? You the store manager or the customers? Think about it from a legal and logical perspective.... and lets end this tennis match - if it makes you happy you win! - (I have protected you, your mods, your rules and myself - and other unsuspecting paid//other members here...)

- - - Now to get to the point, the website I am planning is certainl what people will find useful... i'll ask you for more advice later, but, for now, can ou please simply direct me to reputable SEO and//or vBulletin promotion companies which you are familiar with - just direct me to such companies, i will not take these as recommendations by yourself...

Thank you.

overhere, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  17. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You claim "I being a global merchandiser for a large UK clothing firm", so why aren't you contacting a company such as Distilled or Branded3? Or asking your current marketing contractor/consultant about SEO services? Rather than spending time with such a silly argument on a forum. Odd.

ryan_uk, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  18. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No idea about reputed SEO or vBulletin promotion companies. It's never anything we've seeked out, so we never looked into it.

As far as the rest, we'll just agree to disagree. {shrug}

digitalpoint, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  19. overhere

Best Answers:
    If you read what i am actual arguing nothing else will make more sense... as for your seo remarks - can a doctor be a pilot?

You would say this - there's no further platform for you to counter me! But yes, lets leave it at this... Let me cruise your site and i'll come back with any questions... And is that picture in the hat really you or is it Charlie Sheen?Chow.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    overhere, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  20. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    What I see is you like to bang on and on. As for my SEO remarks, look up Distilled and Branded3 first before commenting (just another hint to check them out to see what's on offer from UK companies, seem as though you need it). And as for consulting you currently use - must be dinosaurs if they haven't gone digital! Online is a very important part of marketing strategy these days. Can't afford to be relics, but instead forward thinking and multi-skilled to meet a client's every demands. This isn't 1983, but 2013.

Good luck and look forward!

ryan_uk, Jan 12, 2013 IP