1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Transition Away From iTrader...

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by digitalpoint, Sep 17, 2010.

1. longblog

longblog Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is there also going to be an update to the instant pay system? I've found that it doesn't meet my needs for a variety of listings. For instance, if I'm selling something that has upsells or options attached to the initial offer. How does one use the instant pay system in this situation?

longblog, Dec 30, 2012 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There are going to be some additional sale types that might suit your needs, but I wouldn't expect it to suit everyone's needs for everything.

digitalpoint, Dec 30, 2012 IP
  3. EvanP

EvanP Banned

Best Answers:
    Forgive me, but is this update ever actually going to go ahead? It seems that this thread was posted some time ago now, but iTrader is still the most used form of buyer and seller reputation on DP.

EvanP, Dec 30, 2012 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep, it's going ahead. The long time was intentional to give an overlap weird where people can build their Instant Pay history.

digitalpoint, Dec 30, 2012 IP
  5. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn, will there be the ability to leave feedback about a verified transaction? Like with iTrader.

ryan_uk, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes you can... see the screenshot in this post (that's what builds the "Feedback Ratings" part) as well as the info in the last paragraph.

digitalpoint, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  7. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    That's great. In general, the system is a big improvement over iTrader, so the sooner it's here the better.

ryan_uk, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  8. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Agreed... there are some other major changes that are going to be rolled out at the same time, which is why it's taking so long. But agreed... the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

digitalpoint, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  9. N_F_S

N_F_S Active Member

Best Answers:
    hmm, so all our itrader points will be erased and we are starting from zero? Or is there any transition from old itrader history to new system?

N_F_S, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  10. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yep, the transition period started on Sept 17, 2010 (the day the first post in this thread was posted).

digitalpoint, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  11. MarcL

MarcL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Want to share some of the other features rolling out? ... :D

MarcL, Jan 7, 2013 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Not really... then I start spending half my time answering the, "Is it ready yet?" questions rather than finishing it all.

digitalpoint, Jan 7, 2013 IP
  13. TechSole

TechSole Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Shawn, I think you may have a problem with the way the system supposedly notifies the user with the "buy it now" link. I've just ventured into using this feature and 3 out of the 4 purchasers had no idea how to pay so the itrader was attributed correctly. They're all asking for my direct paypal. Like I mentioned before when I initially purchased on the new system I had no idea it was in place. I understand what you're trying to achieve but I think you're going end up penalizing people unnecessary. Have a look at the last pm I recieved, the guy has 6 red marks because he's unaware of the procedure, yet he's paid me.

If you're going to do this, you should really have a much larger PR drive in place to ensure people are aware of the procedures, otherwise you're inadvertently creating what you set out to get rid of - false feedback. I'm aware that this thread has been up for a long time, but seriously, that can't be the only way you intend on educating the masses?

I come across it constantly, UN-informed PAYING buyers which are creating a bad history for themselves.

Just my thoughts..

TechSole, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  14. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    @TechSole, if you notice that often people don't pay attention to something. Taking this forum as an example, the FAQ about signatures or access to the BST forum or leaving feedback outside of BST (or in cheap stuff). Some of these actions result in messages informing of x (or linking to the FAQ), but they still don't pay attention. In fact, some even post in existing threads about this stuff, threads that answer their question and they ask it anyway. There's the option to instant pay when you win, so it's kind of staring in the face and the link is also in the email. So part of the problem is people not paying attention. Too much PR could end up being annoying (like the premium membership CSS popup) and some people will automatically ignore it.

The best thing is, ditch iTrader and only use this "new" system. Then as people will be going "Where's iTrader?", they will figure it out. Eventually.

Just my $0.02.

ryan_uk, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  15. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    While I agree that it would be nice if everyone read, in the case of uninformed buyers... there's no way they can send a seller money some other way unless the seller tells them how to do it or where to send money to. At the same time, the seller could just as easily give the buyer the link to complete the Instant Pay transaction. So it's partially the seller's fault that the buyer had negative marks. And it's also in the sellers best interest to have the buyer go through Instant Pay since it gives the seller positive marks.

Not sure how else to "inform" people... If someone wins, they get a message on the sale thread to "click here to complete/pay for your transactions", they also get an email with the link to pay EVERY TIME they win something, there's this thread (which has a GIANT link to it at the top of the page when you try to leave someone iTrader), there's a Marketplace/Items Won tab under the user control panel, etc.

digitalpoint, Jan 8, 2013 IP
  16. TechSole

Best Answers:
    Look I consider myself to be fairly clued up and up until I received red marks against my name and queried it I had no idea you were trying to do this. I am telling you from the point of view of both a buyer and seller this system is not well enough understood. There is no one central source of information that explains exactly how things are meant to work.

Fyi in all the recent transactions I've done I've not received any emails with instant pay links, now that may be down to notification settings but again this is not something people are aware of. I have actually tried twice to explain to buyers about this system.

You have this thread and within this thread you have a link pointing to another. It's not difficult to either mass email everyone or mass pm them.

You are trying to change something that is an industry standard and ingrained in people and you're relying on the fact that people should inform themselves by locating these sporadic threads. That is beyond me.

TechSole, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  17. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Or look at what's staring them in the face. A very difficult task. If some people can't see what's staring them in their face then emails and PMs won't help.

ryan_uk, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  18. Auxi

Auxi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think old iTrader system wasnt so bad - Based on it, I made ​​a lot of right decisions :p This is really big change

Auxi, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  19. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There is no notification option to disable the notices even if you wanted to. I'd double-check your email account or maybe it's classifying stuff as spam. We have no control over what your mail server does with it after it accepts an email, but it is accepting them.

What industry are you referring to where iTrader is standard? I've never even had an option to leave iTrader when buying things on *any* site I've bought things from other individuals on (eBay, Amazon, Flippa, Craigslist, etc). If it's an industry standard, why is no one in the industry using it?

If people already ignore the message on the sale, the giant notice at the top of iTrader pages and the email we send them with *every* sale, what makes you think they are going to pay attention to a mass mailing email? The ones that would read the newsletter are the same users who already use Instant Pay (there are users with hundreds of completed Instant Pay transactions, both as buyers and sellers).

digitalpoint, Jan 9, 2013 IP
  20. TechSole

Best Answers:
    It's not working Shawn, that's all i'm saying, I'm only trying to give you constructive criticism here, I'm not looking for an argument. I really think you need to look at others ways of how the "buy it now" link works. Ideally after purchasing it should take you straight to the paypal payment system. I don't know much about the backend so I'm not sure whether this is feasible or not, although I am sure you have thought that one through.

Maybe using "industry standard" was the wrong wording. Itrader is a forum standard, people are accustomed to it and know the system. You're introducing a new standard with very little education, expecting the users to educate each other is not really a viable solution now is it..

Yes, I'm sure there are users with 100's of transactions, but I also suspect that they are in the minority. Something tells me if you look at your analytics for this you'll find that "non paying" is a lot higher than "paying". In the same time period I doubt very much you have seen an increase in either complaints or negative itraders, but you're new system is telling you the majority of these purchases haven't been paid for. Like I said before you are creating a bias situation by initially removing the itrader and then letting this roll out knowing that the data is incorrect.

TechSole, Jan 11, 2013 IP