1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Current Market Rates For Writers

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Senobia, Dec 30, 2012.

Content writers and content buyers - if ever you had any doubt whether the rates you charge or the rates you pay were on target with industry rates, let this be your guide.

Senobia, Dec 30, 2012 IP
  2. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    buck a minute for technical.

kerchowwww

PassGoSEO, Dec 31, 2012 IP
  3. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Markets make "Market Rates" not blogs.

If a writer posts an ad for $45 an hour and no one hires him just the other guys for say....? $30 an hour then market rate is $30 an hour not $45

Where can writers go an get these rates that this blog states? like really/for real go and get them? Not on the DP market where this subforum is.

"Let this be a guide" to what? Digital Piont? Downtown Manhattan? Internet outsourcing?

averyz, Dec 31, 2012 IP
    Live2Write likes this.
  4. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, that's 'the other guy's' market rate. What he's willing to work for has no bearing on what anybody else makes.

If you've got the skills, you can go anywhere and get them - even right here on DP Forums. I've done it, even though I don't bill by the hour.

To pricing your skills accordingly and paying a fair rate for services that you contract

This post wasn't meant as a Be All, End All to pricing written content or as an incentive to make writers decide, "OMG! I'm upping my rates to $1 per word!" It was meant to give everyone a point of reference. For writers to know what they COULD be making compared to what they HAVE been making. For buyers to realize that the .01 per word they're offering is laughable at best, insulting at worst.

Senobia, Dec 31, 2012 IP
  5. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If something doesn't sell in a market then it is priced to high. Which means it is higher then market rate.

You are posting on an outsourcing board their just are not that many $45 an hour jobs here. Try .001 a word and you might be getting close to "market rate"

averyz, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  6. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    OK averyz, now I KNOW you're having a giggle!

priced to high. = priced TOO high.
    higher then market rate = higher THAN market rate
    their just are not = THERE just are not

Killer post dudey!

PassGoSEO, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  7. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    arrhh, that's what happens when you pay .003 a post.. Fired.

WTB forum poster .004 a post

averyz, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  8. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's not my market rate. And if it's yours, as a buyer - might I suggest you save your percentages of pennies and just do the work yourself?

Senobia, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  9. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You are on Digital Point. If you go to the "Buy Sell or Trade" aka "Market Place" .001 is a pretty standard going rate for years now = Market Rate

I guess you work in the "secret underground market" that pays $200 for writers to even think about opening microsoft word but most on DP are probably in the average Digital Point BTS section. Most writers on there are also probably from countries were $5 an hour is a decent wage.

averyz, Jan 1, 2013 IP
  10. Live2Write

Live2Write Active Member

Best Answers:
    Senobia, some excellent points and share as always :).

It’s a tricky who’s first here - writers who reduced their worth or buyers that have compelled writers to down their price range. That being said, if you regard yourself to be a pro writer you need to know what your time and writing are worth even before a buyer sets a ballpark price for you.

DP's BST doesn't represent a writers' market, its a flea market at the best, is it not? I'd still admit that these fleas are making it increasingly difficult for writers to find buyers who are willing to pay what a writer is worth. So, if you feel you are worth more than the $5-$10/article writers, take time to build your reputation (even if that means no-job days) than be swamped with work that underrates your time and writing.

Live2Write, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  11. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    I can take almost any bit of writing from the BST forum, run it through passgoseo, and show you exactly why it's a waste of time because in most cases, this cheap material won't pass Google.

So people paying $5 an article are basically throwing their money away nowadays, because unlike last year, this stuff ain't going to rank anymore. The game has changed. Duplicate content, spun content, give it up, because it doesn't make the cut anymore.

PassGoSEO, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  12. blueink

blueink Member

Best Answers:
    The truth is that in a market such as DP, these rates don't work for most writers. I am not saying that no one will get paid $45 per article, but it is next to impossible for most. I myself charge a lot less (belonging to a country where the dollar exchange rate is high helps) not because I consider myself below par in any way, but because I haven't been able to master the art of getting high-paying clients yet. Those who have, good for them. :)

Having said that, I truly believe that buying substandard content helps nobody and this year Google is going to make it real tough for websites who have bad content in them. So website-owners, prepare to loosen your purse-strings a little more this year! We writers work hard for our living and the time time has come for you all to pay us what we deserve for our efforts.

blueink, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  13. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

There's no "secret underground market" just people who wish to hire professionals quietly through the PM system. I'm sure just about every professional writer, web designer and graphics person here has been hired at professional rates for projects no one else ever knows about through DP, just not through the BST area.

YMC, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  14. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I concur, a lot of business is done here behind the scenes. In my time here at DP I have hired 2 writers and an SEO. But I'm not sure about PM's as I don't like conducting business on site. I prefer e-mails or phonecalls, who has time to log on and off and check PM's etc. when details need to be worked out?

Spoiltdiva, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  15. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Initial contact is usually via PM. Actual business, at least in my case, was moved to email.

YMC, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  16. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In the BTS section hundreds of people get hired every week, that's where the bulk of buying, trading and selling goes on at DP the rates are written on the wall.

You could hang around and make a few thousand posts and hope for a PM with a decent wage offer but seems rather unfruitful to me. Unless you are selling ebooks or dropping links on how to get into the "secret market" "make money" or what ever snake oil is currently on the market.

averyz, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  17. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, there's truth in that. If tapping into private sales was the only reason for hanging about here, I would have left long ago.

YMC, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  18. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Same here, banned from all the other forums and too cheap to rent a proxy,

just kidding :)

averyz, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  19. Moumita RC

Moumita RC Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Dp used to have "good and serious writers" but now.most of them are just middle man ,PRICES are now pathetic,
    and MOST of THEM are now busy calling them selves as NATIVE, now good WORDS do not sell but ONLY saying and convincing yourself/others as a native is more than enough, no matter, even if you have ever seen a passport or have one.I never understand till date why is being native so important when you are not writing about something that is not available for the readers in FIJJI. yes,when you are writing about culture and society, i can understand but for every thing else only 100% correct grammar and quality content should only matter,not the demography.
    ....$1/100 words may seem as a basic FEE but now a days $2/100 is more basic than ever before.but not in DP for sure.

Moumita RC, Jan 5, 2013 IP
  20. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @Moumita RC
    The days of some writers trying to pass themselves off as "native" American or English writers is over at least on DP. PM's are now showing (and have been for awhile) true country on the upper right hand corner.
    I do agree that quality content should matter most not demography, and of course prices.:) But...frankly speaking I prefer writers who understand the market where.......I AM LIVING IN. How can a writer living half a world and time zone away possibly understand and target accurately, the clientele I'm trying to engage?

Spoiltdiva, Jan 5, 2013 IP