1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

need more practice

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by prifantom, Dec 29, 2012.

hello guys i need some practice with converting layouts from psd to html, if you have some or know where i can get them please share he link with me, i want to get more practice in designing and converting themes

prifantom, Dec 29, 2012 IP
  2. abusschaert

abusschaert Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you can make the PSD then make the PSD and convert it, you can then sell the Template

abusschaert, Dec 29, 2012 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My advice? Forget that stupid broken-assed half-assed idiotic way of building websites -- and instead take some content (or a reasonable facsimile), mark it up semantically, and then bend it with your will making your layouts with CSS -- and yes I said layouts in plural, because from an accessibility standpoint responsive layout and media targets are "where it's at"

Drawing some goofy picture of one static layout and turning it into a website is putting the cart before the horse, and most always leads to inaccessible piss poor train-wrecks of websites. The only reason that dumbass approach to 'design' has become the norm is people who are too stupid to recognize flash without substance, or are completely ignorant of the entire point of the Internet -- basically the "WCAG, what's that?" crowd. Basically what happens whenever the art chik-fil-a's take over any industry.

deathshadow, Dec 29, 2012 IP
  4. abusschaert

abusschaert Active Member

Best Answers:
    Deathshadow i know what you are talking about but at the same time a PSD isn't ALWAYS a bad approach, i mean come on, would you build a house without a blueprint? When working for a Client, a PSD is a lot easier to edit then a mess of code (in my opinion. I guess what i'm saying is a PSD is just the easy when working for a client.

abusschaert, Dec 29, 2012 IP
  5. ankushkohli

ankushkohli Peon

Best Answers:
    Agree with you psd file work as structure to html code, before converting psd into html create structure on paper for better understanding.

ankushkohli, Dec 30, 2012 IP
  6. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately a PSD isn't a blueprint, it's more like a painting of a house... and unfortunately the DaVinci's are far and few between while the number of Van Gogh's -- worse, Andres Serrano's -- end result being akin to hiring a oil painter to make your blueprint. End result is typically a decade or more of zero progress and falling flat on your face when trying to build that house -- just ask New York City about how well working with Daniel Libeskind turned out.

I've yet to see a page built from a PSD that wasn't an accessibility train wreck, and good luck doing responsive layout from it. They are typically full of 'but I can do it in Photoshop" idiocies like fixed height elements, multiple fixed size elements spanning the screen, fixed widths, elements that cannot have dynamic fonts, and a whole host of other garbage that ends up reeking of "WCAG, what's that?" and in general wasting bandwidth on endless goofy crap that to be frank, much of it doesn't even belong on a website in the first place!

Also, easy isn't always a good thing -- there's a reason it's called work and not happy happy fun-time... This is why I consider showing a client a flashy PSD to be little more than preying on the ignorance of others.

Most important thing should be content FIRST -- semantically marked up for accessibility, with an accessible layout, progressively enhanced with CSS and Javascript so it gracefully degrades should those technologies be unavailable... the reason for this is simple -- people visit websites for the CONTENT, NOT the goofy graphics you hang on it!

Which is why the Photoshop Jockeys should be the last part of a website, NOT the first. More so since most of the garbage they vomit up is faster to do with code and CSS3 now, particularly when it comes to editing it for changes the client wants.

Admittedly I may be biased due to my typically being able to take some sample content (or a reasonable facsimile) and churn out a flat HTML + CSS responsive layout in about the same amount of time most artists would spend futzing around in Photoshop.

The "artists" have taken over the industry, and the quality of websites is suffering for it -- particularly those of companies for whom a website is an after-thought to their brick and mortar operations, or those who view the Internet as an advertising medium instead of an informational one. When you look at the major success stories of the Internet -- Google, Amazon, E-Bay, Slashdot, Facebook, etc, etc... do these REALLY look like they need some PSD jockey spanking it all over their screen? (though a few of those have also pissed on their own feet in terms of accessibility the past couple years )

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
    deathshadow, Dec 30, 2012 IP
  7. wetkon

wetkon Banned

Best Answers:
    You can search them yourself by using that keyword on google search: free psd web templates, and you will find many good sources usable for your practice! :)

wetkon, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  8. frednjkin

frednjkin Active Member

Best Answers:
    agree with rkvstudios, think ppl are making threads for no reason...........a simple google search wud certainly be of great help

As per the advice.....Deathshadow's words are worth reading :)

frednjkin, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  9. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    If you strike the words "good" and "usable" maybe... since shoe-horning one's content into an off the shelf template is akin to grabbing a deuce and a half lump to drive that square peg into the round hole.

Particularly when 99% of the asshats out there crapping out 'templates' don't know enough HTML or CSS to be opening their mouths on the subject.

deathshadow, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  10. lolpasslol

lolpasslol Peon

Best Answers:
    You can get more professional PSD in webdesign?(dot)org ,
    and the code is up to you.

lolpasslol, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  11. Hefaistos

Hefaistos Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There are some nice video tutorials on youtube about some different ways to convert PSD templates to HTML. Just search for "convert psd to html".

Hefaistos, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  12. jenindra

jenindra Member

Best Answers:
    actually premium having easy option

jenindra, Jan 5, 2013 IP