1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My DMOZ listing tips

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by 360webfirm, Dec 24, 2012.

Regarding DMOZ - this is my experience. In order to gain entry into DMOZ, there are several things you need to consider in order to accomplish this task. First off, you need to have a physical address on your website of your business. If you live in Toronto, New York, it must be physically on the website and showing postal/zip codes. Also, you must do a search for a the exact category your business in is " Example - Cornwall Web Design " Under this, you will click the link and make sure all the category fields fit your business PERFECT. Then, make sure your description and title of your entry is also in their guidelines. Do not repeat any words and keep it under 25 words. Then submit.

The problem is this, a lot of categories so not have any active editors and if you check the bottom of the page, you will see that the last time it has been updates. In my case, it was 3 years! You then have the option to apply to become an editor of this category then you can submit your own website, and also you have the option to buy a deleted or expired domain name which is already in the Open Directory.

Please also note that if you submit your website and they do not like anything about it, it wont be entered into the directory. Make sure its clean, fast and responsive, and exactly what you described it to be. Its like winning a lottery getting entered into DMOZ.

I hope this help.

360webfirm, Dec 24, 2012 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Street addresses always add credibility to commercial websites but they're especially helpful when expecting editors to list them in Regional categories. (They're even a legal requirement in some legislations.) Regrettably, many website owners hide their addresses and suggest their websites to a nearby (or sometimes distant) honeypot locality rather than where they're actually based.

We nearly always have to rewrite suggested titles and descriptions and we're surprised when we see acceptable ones! We don't expect website promoters to get it right and it's not a reason to decline a listing. However, we do expect applicants to become editors to do a lot better than that.

Because of a bug, the last edited date at the bottom of a category is rarely correct. Ignore it. Very few categories have dedicated editors and most of the work is done by editors with wider permissions. (My dashboard would never load if it had links to the million or so categories where I have permissions.)

Let me fix that for you; If a suggested website doesn't meet our Site Selection Criteria, it won't be listed.

No it isn't. You didn't buy a ticket and listable websites get listed eventually.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
    jimnoble, Dec 24, 2012 IP
  3. 360webfirm

360webfirm Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a Canadian business owner and develope websites all over Canada. I am located in Cornwall Ontario and I have tried so many times to get a website listed in DMOZ. I am legit, honest, and very hard working. I have even applied for the editor possition for Cornwall web design and development with a response of simply NO. I franky do not understand because I am aware of DMOZ and their guidelines, and respect their directory and website. I just wanted to be a part of their directory and help out. I have since re-applied to the Ottawa Ontario region ( I am only 45 mnutes from there and most of my business comes from there ) for web design and development. I have also taken their notes and hopefully applied it to my NEW application as an editor in this category. I spend all my days in front of the computer working away and I am willing to be a postive help to DMOZ. I understand their strict policies and definately respect them for this. Instead of just saying no, I wish they would help us people who wishes to be a part of this directory and point us in the right direction. I am a fast learner, just need the opportunity to proove myself.All I am asking for is a chance.Thanks again for your time.Steve

Can I ask you a question Jim Please? Can you look at my website ( I have since added my full address today ) and please let me know if there is any issues that DMOZ will not like. I can't add my domain name here but if you do a search for 360 web firm, its this with a dot com. I would really appreciate the criticism as I would do anything to be listed in the DMOZ directory. Thanks for your consideration..

4. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    No it wasn't. In addition to the list of standard possible reasons, there were specific reviewer comments which were intended to be helpful:

Can't you do that for yourself by evaluating it against our Site Selection Criteria referenced in my previous post? After all, that's what you'll be expected to do if/when you become an editor.

5. 360webfirm

360webfirm Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your input and I really appreciate your honesty. I have given 3 examples for Ottawa and I do believe they are within DMOZ guidelines.
    I am just trying to help and I am sorry if I came off on the wrong foot. I also feel that I run an honest business and besides not having my address on my website ( which I have since added ) I do believe my website fits the criteria to be entered into the DMOZ directory.

Applying for an editor was not my intention to just add my website, but rather be able to be a part of the directory and do my part.

I believe Jim you must have been the person who looked at my application for Cornwall, if you look at the one for Ottawa, you should fine this application and the examples I provided much better than my first application.
    I am just very interested and heart fully believe in the DMOZ website and what they stand for. For this reason, I am willing to help and would love to be a part of it.
    Thanks again for your time - specially this time of year.

Merry Christmas and happy New Year

Steve

Well thanks Jim once again. That's all good. I am not cut out to en an editor obviously as per my last two applications. From several errors, to one error. I think I am at least improving. :)

I still believe in the Open Directory and still would love to be a part of it. If you would be interested in this determination, rather than trying to find every single thing not to approve my application, I am still willing to volunteer my time to assist. My batting average is getting better and this is the important thing. With your assistance and guidance, I am sure to hit 100% some day.

You have my email if you ever would like to reconsider my application and give me once last chance.. :) I would be very grateful to even have my website listed if this is even possible.

Good luck to everyone who wants to add their website to DMOZ and please read the guidelines really good and don't make the mistakes I have done. ( see below )

here are my mistakes so please avoid them...
    Application One
    All of your examples seem to have chosen to conceal their street addresses, making it difficult to justify a listing in a specific locality. Next time, provide three eligible examples. Our editor guidelines and a look at existing listings should help you to write acceptable titles and descriptions. In an Ontario/Cornwall category, there's no need or point to repeating those words in the description.

Application Two
    Earlier today, we asked you not to use category name words within descriptions - but you did :(.

I Wish you all the best.

Steve

Jim,If you look at Ottawa and Cornwall, there are several entries that show related keywords and repeated keywords in the descriptions. I just used these as examples and thought by using them as examples, I would be doing it correctly..Steve

6. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    You're jumping to conclusions - an infectious disease in this forum.

We can see processed applications but we can't convert them into editor accounts. OTOH, you haven't been told not to apply again. If you still want to be an editor, that's what you need to do, bearing all previous advice in mind.

Not all editors are perfect. Perhaps that's why you were also asked to read our editor guidelines which caution against that :).

7. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dont worry if you are rejected the first time, even the second or third. Take it from a person who had to apply 5-6 times......

The rejection letter tells you where you went wrong and what they want to see is not you doing perfect editing instantly, they just want to see that you can learn by correcting the mistakes from your previous applications. Unless the email specifically asks you NOT to try again, its actually an invitation to redo the application and try again.

snooks, Dec 25, 2012 IP
  8. 360webfirm

360webfirm Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you all for your replies,

Mr. Jim,

I think I will take all that you have said and all that I have been told by the application process and take my time to read the rules several times again and try and look for better examples and maybe try again in the new year.

I am sorry if I did jump to any conclusions, and I am very thankful for your time and advise.

I am going to make sure that if and when I do apply again, I have learned from my mistakes and have read all that I can about it before hand.

Best Wishes to all of you for 2013.

Steve

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
    360webfirm, Dec 25, 2012 IP
  9. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes read the rules carefully, make sure you make no mistakes, re-apply and they will reject you again!

Happy Holidays!

joeventura, Dec 26, 2012 IP
  10. 360webfirm

360webfirm Peon

Best Answers:
    I have re-applied again and followed all their guidlines ( I feel ) I am optimistic that they will see how determined I am and that I ahve been making better entries and that I am learning. Thats all I can do..Happy Holidays to each and every one of you.Steve

360webfirm, Dec 26, 2012 IP
  11. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Few people get accepted the first time. Try and try again is the motto,unless they tell you not to bother again,which they do sometimes.
    Listen to the editors not those who have an axe to grind, for whatever reason.You can spot those with the axe to grind by the way they try and always be negative and derogatory and sound as though they are pickled in their own vitriol.

Anonymously, Dec 27, 2012 IP
    Karen May Jones likes this.
  12. 360webfirm

360webfirm Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your input. :) I hope that my editor that looks at my third application is nice and sees me as a person who just wants to help and be a part of the DMOZ community.Happy New Year allSteve

360webfirm, Dec 27, 2012 IP
  13. 360webfirm

360webfirm Peon

Best Answers:
    Good Morning All,

I have applied to be an editor with DMOZ 3 times. The first 2 times I applied, I got some positive feedback from them explaining what I did wrong and telling me that I was not accepted. I took the positive feedback and tried to learn on it and submitted an application again. Both the 1st and 2nd times, I actually got a response and answer within 12 hours. This past 3rd time I submitted the application, I have not heard anything from them and its been 3 days. I think I have submitted 3 very good examples this time. Its just taking so long to find out :(

I will let everyone know once I have received a reply back. I am hoping it will be good news. This is how selective the open directory is and this is a very good thing. If your website has made it into this directory, it has made it in because of good reasons. All your i's are dotted and t's are crossed. Basically, you have followed every single requirement for your website.

For those who wish to enter into this directory, please like the above postings has said several times, read all their guidlines and submit to the proper category and make sure your website fits in their criteria. Also, make sure your address is on the website and easy to view. Like Jim has said above, its not that hard if you follow all the rules and guidlines. Eventually all websites that are worthy will be entered.

I have learned so much about this topic in the past week or so that I am very confident that when I submit a website next time, it will be accepted.

Have a great day.

Steve

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
    360webfirm, Dec 28, 2012 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It can take up to two weeks, and then you can request an update at their forum.

I would give it a bit more time, most editors are likely busy with family this time of year.

Qryztufre, Dec 28, 2012 IP
  15. 360webfirm

360webfirm Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya, you are most likely right. Its the holiday season and I have to be patient. :)Thanks,Steve

360webfirm, Dec 28, 2012 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  16. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good reasons would be defined as:

Your submission was written correctly
    AND
    Your submission was to a category where someone was actually editting
    AND/OR
    One of the 5 or 6 Meta Editors decided to look at your submission
    AND
    Your submission was picked out of the gazillion awaiting review
    AND
    The editor was not one of them who ignores submissions and does his own thing
    AND

you getting the picture yet?

joeventura, Dec 31, 2012 IP
  17. 360webfirm

360webfirm Peon

Best Answers:
    I am optimistic that eventually I will have the chance to become an editor.

360webfirm, Dec 31, 2012 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  18. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good for you.Don' tpay too much attention to the sadies who frequent here and try to rubbish everything that DMOZ does or that editors say. He has his own axe to grind, but just think how silly one is to spend hours of time typing the sort of rubbish there is in the post above yours.

Anonymously, Dec 31, 2012 IP
  19. 360webfirm

360webfirm Peon

Best Answers:
    I really like the DMOZ website and what it offers. It would be a privilege to become an editor. I just wish they wanted to assist people rather than just saying no when applying. But, this is how they have been doing it and I have no grounds to change something that has worked for them.

Hopefully, one of these days.. :)

Thanks for your positive feedback, its refreshing to see positive comments once in a while.

In fact, I am still waiting on my third application which I thought I did really good on. They have not got back with a no answer yet, this might be good news. :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    360webfirm, Dec 31, 2012 IP
  20. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its neither good nor bad....keep in mind its Christmas and the New Year. We all volunteer to do editing and the Meta volunteers to review new applications such as yours.........but people have real lives also and dont spend all day doing things for DMOZ. It probably just means that its still being reviewed.

By the way, you are right about it being a privelage :) Thats one of the reasons that dmoz is hard to get into....but it truly can be fun. You just need to ignore the idiots that you see posting around here......

I actually hope that you get in :) If you do, contact me so i know who you are (lol). My editing name is the same as my DP name.

snooks, Dec 31, 2012 IP