1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to identify low quality directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by humtuma, Dec 2, 2012.

1. michaeljm72

michaeljm72 Active Member

Best Answers:
    the smsweb.org/ site got more than what I call penalized it got Delisted from the google directory. to me that means they seriously broke some of the guidelines.....search using the command site: and they are nowhere to be found, same with the seoexecutive.com directory
    If i search for a directory or site by it's Title the name of it and it doesn't come up in the top 10-20, or if you search with the title and some snipets from any of the main inner pages, and they don't appear near the top of the search results, then I consider that site/directory to be penalized. probably best to stay away from submitting to them

michaeljm72, Dec 16, 2012 IP
  2. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Broke guidelines? What they did is took a domain that already had PR and recycled it into a directory claiming that the PR belonged to the directory. They even tried to pass off the longevity of the domain registration period as their own, claiming the directory had been in operation for a decade.

I've seen literally thousands of these BS directories over the years. Its amazes me to no end the number of people (SEO's included) that fall of the farce.

Mia, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  3. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    SEO executive had mass flower spam, which is an indicator that the entire directory is full of spam... as per by my link on the previous page. If you want to talk guidelines, that is a pretty heavy breach of content quality guidelines. It's an FFA site masquerading as a directory. It was a decent directory for some time, till they gave up on the editing side of things (my guess is they had several directories, maybe 10, 20 or more, and decided to dump quality for quantity in a quest to make bucks via adsense).

They were smashed very soon after we removed them from our lists after an audit which we do regularly to ensure directories are maintaining the quality of their listings. Many people start out with the best intentions but these can fall by the wayside for any number of reasons, which is why longevity/time that a directory has maintained quality is probably the best indicator there is.

It's the reason why I tell directory owners that they cannot really run more than 1 or 2 directories realistically unless they have trained staff who are editing. People nod their head, say what the hell does that guy know, go and create 20 clone directories then wonder why they are in trouble. This information isn't new.

"Directories" may be easy to create, but to actually run one takes skill and time.

silencer, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  4. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    not the only reason, if a dir approves just any site, then they are automatically low quality...
    99.9% of the sites trying to get on any site that will approve them, they were low quality before they even started...

DMOZ is still around because they do not approve every tom, dick and harry with a free listing of their junk site....

figure out the rest...:)

by nature, and some of the posts i read, some people appear to be dumb by nature, ie:

"I have like 10 posts on my forum, but google rejected my application, why?"

gee, i dunno, low quality seems to come to mind...

adsense wants unique high quality content, and sites that pull tons of traffic,
    they are not looking for sites that just started up yesterday....

dscurlock, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  5. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Errr if you're quoting me, didn't you realise I already said the equivalent of all that. I'll bold it for you because clearly you missed it. The only way to identify the quality of a directory is by viewing its content.

If a directory is auto-approving junk sites, it will be apparent by viewing its content.
    If a directory is editing, rejecting sites, and maintaining its listings, it will be apparent by viewing its content.

Nuff said.

silencer, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  6. umeedngo

umeedngo Peon

Best Answers:
    you can check the site which is good or not in terms of their page rank. if the site is having a page rank of good quality like PR-5 or more than that. its a good site otherwise live it.

umeedngo, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  7. jpfuss

jpfuss Peon

Best Answers:
    Pagerank is not important anymore Google appears to be phasing this metric out of the equation.

jpfuss, Dec 21, 2012 IP
  8. kamy

kamy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    seo quake will help you

kamy, Dec 29, 2012 IP
  9. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    ^^^How to identify low quality forum posts ;)

Mia, Jan 2, 2013 IP
  10. theseohouse20

theseohouse20 Peon

Best Answers:
    I sharing with you following points, with which you can easily track down which directories are spam and low quality.
    1. If most of the directories are in same IP, this can be checked in IP-Report.com or any other in-house tools, you can check bulk directories and sort by IP’s
    2. If those directories are using same type of template with only variation of Logo or Color change (Worse case some directories even not bother to change logo also), it shows that directories are run by only one provider.
    3. If all directories are using same software, software can be PHPld, Esyndicate etc
    4. If all the directories have same whois address, keep in mind that Google have more advance technology to track such networks
    5. Same adsense publisher code on all directories.
    6. If they are using same readymade category database on most of web directories.
    7. Check if they are built on dropped domains, these directories can have Page rank but no domain authority.
    8. Check if directories have low authority in Open Site Explorer

theseohouse20, Jan 3, 2013 IP
  11. sadim hosain

sadim hosain Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    ya i think high pr directory is best directory.

sadim hosain, Jan 4, 2013 IP
  12. TrixEver

TrixEver Banned

Best Answers:
    I prefer to use forums, article submission websites rather than directories.

TrixEver, Jan 12, 2013 IP
  13. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:

I think you are being facetious.

That's like saying Google doesn't allow spammy sites (well pages really) to have high PR.

silencer, Feb 13, 2013 IP
  14. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    It's quite easy to take advantage of the Alexa TB. And you don't even have to hack foreign or university websites to do so.

Mia, Feb 13, 2013 IP
    Nima likes this.
  15. mahabub843

mahabub843 Active Member

Best Answers:
    your idea is right. i mean low quality directory mean pr low,n follow,and many many comments hear
    a

mahabub843, Feb 14, 2013 IP