1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Do I Fix This Sitemap Issue?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by HammerHead, Nov 22, 2012.

Hello,

I will cut straight to the chase. I have website that is using Blogger blogging platform to make new posts and updates to the site. I recently (3-4 months ago) bought a domain name from GoDaddy. Then when I converted the site from the regular .blogspot.com domain name to the .com domain name my sitemaps got messed up.

I used the GoDaddy Platform to create a sitemap after researching online. Unfortunately, I think I did something wrong. I redirected the site from freedomtosave.com to www.freedomtosave.com using GoDaddy's URL redirect and now everything is redirecting properly, but my sitemap is not. The sitemap is stuck under freedomtosave.com/sitemap and when I type that in the address bar the sitemap comes up, but when I do it with www in front it does not. I feel like this is slowing my site down and is not allowing the robots to crawl the site properly. What should I do so that I can fix this issue and have a properly indexed sitemap?

Solved! View solution.
    HammerHead, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  2. johnaustin9

johnaustin9 Member

Best Answers:
    you can use xml sitemap generator

johnaustin9, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  3. johnaustin9

johnaustin9 Member

Best Answers:
    after generating the sitemap you can upload it to the root file of the site directory

johnaustin9, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  4. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is a problem if your sitemap is located under non-www:
    http://example.com/sitemap.xml

if your site otherwise is with-www:
    http://www.example.com/sitemap.xml

If you used GoDaddy to redirect, I would ask their support. I don't know the GoDaddy service very well, but in general terms if you asked them (or used their service) to redirect the site from from non-www to with-www it ought to work for all files including sitemaps.

Beyond above, if you have FTP access / file upload access you can use any sitemapper like GSiteCrawler, A1 Sitemap Generator etc.

websitetools, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  5. HammerHead

HammerHead Member

Best Answers:
    @websitetools That's exactly what I said. The sitemap is located under a non-www, but everything else is located under www.

And to all the other people who answered, I have uploaded the sitemap and I have it in the root, it just doesn't come up under the right domain.

HammerHead, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  6. kashishjain

kashishjain Peon

Best Answers:
    Simply contact godaddy and they will resolve the issue for you. Also you can stop using www in your url and skip the issue.

kashishjain, Nov 24, 2012 IP
  7. HammerHead

HammerHead Member

Best Answers:
    If I stop using the www redirect, then for some reason it appears as if I have two websites instead of one. GoDaddy were not able to help at all.

HammerHead, Nov 24, 2012 IP
  8. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is a weird issue. Do you have a ".htaccess" file in your website FTP root / FTP domain root? Are there any lines starting with "redirect" in them? (Don't post any other lines om public places unless you know .htaccess) Or "RewriteRule" ?

websitetools, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  9. HammerHead

HammerHead Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I have the ".htaccess" file in the website FTP root and it does have "redirect" lines and yes it does have "rewriterule".

HammerHead, Dec 11, 2012 IP
    websitetools, Dec 12, 2012 IP
  11. HammerHead

HammerHead Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I just switched from Blogger to Wordpress, so I think it will be easier for me to fix the issue. Thanks for all the help.

HammerHead, Dec 12, 2012 IP