1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any way to increase the chance of being accepted into DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by beatstockpromoters, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I can taste the bitterness from here that you have for DMOZ. You must be pickled in your own vitriol.

DMOZ must have really stung you, (wasting umpteen hours posting about what YOU CALL a dead site) but with your general tone on here that is not surprising.

I won't join Snooks and even bother to refute your silly unfounded lies. Especially as they have no effect. If you stop people offering sites, that will be good, I have always said we should not accept suggestions. If you call us redundant, that is also helpful because then less people will bother spamming the directory and allow the editors to get on with their hobby of listing and categorising sites for their own enjoyment of building good categories and for anyone who wishes to use the data to search the directory.

Anonymously, Oct 24, 2012 IP
  2. rubencouto

rubencouto Member

Best Answers:
    I've also submited a few sites to DMOZ and only one of them got listed.
    How do you know if they are still on a "waiting line" or if they where in fact rejected?

rubencouto, Oct 24, 2012 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is certainly one way to get listed, but the editing community is rather elitist. If your site is crap, and you add it as an editor, if another editor is watching over you (and they will be) your site will be removed and likely banned and you will no longer be an editor.

Submit & forget.

Qryztufre, Oct 25, 2012 IP
  4. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    maybe you need contact the Editor and Bribe them if you want Higher Change.

suwandichen13, Oct 25, 2012 IP
  5. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thats a great way of earning an instant ban for that and any other site to which you may be connected. :( Forget even trying.

snooks, Oct 25, 2012 IP
  6. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    If it is not guideline compliant it will never be listed if you are not an editor and should not be listed if you become one. But if you try and become an editor with the least suspicion that you ONLY want to get your site listed or that you will not treat other sites, including your opposition sites if you apply to an area where your site relates, equally to your own, then you won't even be accepted. And if you do list your own site that is not guideline compliant then it and you will be removed and remember that every edit that an editor performs is recorded against their name. I still live with the very first edit I ever made over 10 years ago!

Anonymously, Oct 25, 2012 IP
  7. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    thank you for agreeing with me.

Qryztufre, Oct 30, 2012 IP
  8. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Don't remember you telling anyone that if they give any suspicion of trying to become an editor just to get their site listed then they will not be accepted. But we unfortunately don't alw ays spot them, some people become an editor list their own site and a couple of others and leave. Nasty people.

Anonymously, Oct 30, 2012 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Well, if ya wanna put it that way, the ODP was founded on that wasnt it? I mean, one of the DMOZ founders does have a single site that got twenty thousand deep links to it, put in by a bot (rather than a human) most of which broke multiple guidelines... so indeed, NASTY NASTY people, and especialy nasty because their site was listed in a HUMAN edited directory by nonhumans, and the fact that the listings did not (and do not) comply with the guidelines.

Its really any wonder that the guy is still allowed to be there, I imagine the editing community would be up in arms over such a blatant disregard for breaking the rules... but no. They would rather insinuate that I did something wrong, by joining the ODP in the height of it being broken after the crash and adding a couple of sites, then leaving over personal reasons.

AMAZING isnt it? That I would be considered nasty, by adding a site compliant to the guidelines, yet Skrenta is defended... says a LOT about the place and its supposed quality.

But yes, I do agree with you even then... but such a person would only be nasty if that was the reason they joined, and especially if the site they added was not compliant...

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
    Qryztufre, Oct 31, 2012 IP
  10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    You must be paranoid to take everything so personally, but glad you agree that you did not include it in your answer but agree that folk trying to join to list their site and leave are nasty people.

Anonymously, Oct 31, 2012 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Paranoid? Oh no, wasnt talking about you at all. Why would you think that?

I am just referring to several older posts.

Qryztufre, Nov 1, 2012 IP
  12. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    YEP!!

And if you want to shed any light on my supposed lies, just state your facts. Otherwise Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Interested in the answer to any of the following questions:

1. Number of submissions a month
    2. Number of Active Editors (i.e. reviewed a site in the last 6 months)
    3. Number of submitted sites that got approved in the last month
    4. Number of editor submissions
    5. Number of editor approvals

And just to save the suspense, he won't answer a single one of these (maybe he would answer #1) but answering 2-5 would shine a bright light on the glacial momentum of the site and how it is ready to be put out to pasture.

joeventura, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  13. joeventura

Best Answers:
    There i$ no $pecfic and $ure fire way to get your $ite $ubmi$$ion approved $o $saying that, $omeday your $ubmission may $ee the light of day.

joeventura, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Usual insinuations.......usual lack of facts. Repetetive and Boring...........

snooks, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    There are as many COMPLETED transactions with POSITIVE feedback on 3rd party sites as there are people in here complaining they submitted years ago and have seen nothing.

Could there be a connection between the two?

The mantra of the ODP is SUBMIT & FORGET or FORGET 2 SUBMIT, as there is a pretty equal wait time.

You want to see facts, I can show you those completed transactions with positive feedback, and the multitude of people waiting to get a listing, as well as editor after editor doing nothing but call names and claim no one is backing anything up. Funny that, the proof is always on everyone but you.

Qryztufre, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  16. joeventura

Best Answers:
    Q,

Maybe you should PM me some of those sites so I can set up a little expose'

Hmmmmmmm?

joeventura, Nov 26, 2012 IP
  17. deeps27

deeps27 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Even i have submitted my website to DMOZ for 3-4 times as per its guideline then too my website is not listed..........

deeps27, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  18. Akuta

Akuta Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've been an editor for years just to list my own sites. The entire organization is a mess. Everyone running it is an idiot. Don't waste your time.

Akuta, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Was that these DMOZ guidelines
    http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

Do you know I could have sworn that meant DON'T submit a site more than once you may well know better................and if you do then it says what can happen, perhaps that's what happened to your site!

#Akuta
    Oh did I forget to mention that I am the President of the US and collect all the taxes for myself?

Anonymously, Dec 11, 2012 IP
  20. joeventura

Best Answers:
    Now that explains a lot!!!

joeventura, Dec 12, 2012 IP