1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getting Listed in DMOZ. Can anybody help?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by JapaneseCupid, Nov 27, 2012.

JapaneseCupid, Nov 27, 2012 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's all explained in the sticky 101 thread above.

jimnoble, Nov 27, 2012 IP
  3. asant

asant Peon

Best Answers:
    To get listed in DMOZ, it really takes along time. Its all human edited so you could be waiting from 3-6 months. I've heard that the more specific your category the better your chance to get accepted.

asant, Nov 27, 2012 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry this is just wrong.

Firstly, as Jim says above, if you read the sticky or my signature you can see that it can take from a few DAYS to a few YEARS to get a review for a possible listing and there is nothing you can do to speed that up. Some, non DMOZ ediotrs, may point you to sites that offer a listing service for a fee, but paying to be listed is a bribe and the site and any associates and the editor who does the listing will be banned and booted. If you pay for them only to suggest the site, you can do that as easily as anyone. Suggest the site and then go and promote your site elsewhere. Just pop back and check to see if it is listed say every year, but do not re-submit, it is not lost or rejected, unless non-guideline compliant, it awaits a volunteer editor offering to review that section and use the suggestions to do so.

Anonymously, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  5. JapaneseCupid

JapaneseCupid Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure why i've been looked over as it has been years since I've added one of my sites and 6-8 months since I've added the others. Can you provide any insight?

JapaneseCupid, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  6. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Who said you have been looked over? Your sites are possibly still in the suggestion pool awaiting review by a volunteer Editor. Do not resubmit.....once is enough:(

I will mention one thing though and its purely a personal thing, to look into and review your site means registering and signing up for the site. I personally would not do the review because i dont wish to register and provide my details and i cant review the site until i do so.

Thats just a personal thought and not all Editors have my point of view, they probably use throw-away email addresses designed for this purpose.

snooks, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Like Snooks I would not review those sites and I have a memory that we are recommended not to do so, but that might not be right. But editors don't have to review any site and are told that if they are not happy reviewing a site, leave it another editor might be.

Anonymously, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  8. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    On top of that would the fact that the sites are all related to each other, and interlinked as a network, not also make reviewing a pointless task?

One of the submission rules clearly states

I would take 5 or 6 dating sites from the same person, that all look the same and a presented to the end user in the same way to be "similar content" and "related sites" and thus it would be a very simple task to exclude them.

silencer, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Taken at face value, every category can only have ONE listing in it... everything else would be similar content. Which is likely one of the tricks editors use for "editor discretion" allowing them to not even bother...

Especially as, unless its a japanesse lesbian looking for a Muslim, are they really related beyond ownership of the sites?

Qryztufre, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Not from that quote could you infer that. It clearly says that it refers to the same person having sites which are similar or overlapping not that all sites should not be similar or overlapping.

Anonymously, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Well, it also says "...as other sites you may have listed in the directory..." which last I checked suggesters don't list sites.

It also says "Sites with overlapping and repetitive content are not helpful to users of the directory." which, erm, is pretty much what I just said.

Though, this brings us back to Topix does it not?

12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    and, erm lesbians are in a different category then muslims are they not? Putting the content as VERY different, based on the very set up of the ODP itself.

Society: Relationships: Dating: Personals: Christian
    Society: Relationships: Dating: Personals: Jewish
    Society: Relationships: Dating: Personals: Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual

Should all be in the same category, right?

*sigh*

13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    As I have said previously,mischievous for ones own agenda.

Anonymously, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Are they? What happens if the Lesbians are Muslim?.......

Moot point....i wont register to review a site, i prefer to leave that to an Editor that wishes to do so.

snooks, Dec 4, 2012 IP
  15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Again, disagree to do nothing but disagree.

I am causing mischief because someone owns dating sites with different themes for different groups of people. Editors come in saying that they are not allowed to submit similar sites, even though there are similar categories, making each site belonging to different categories. making suggesting those sites to the different catgories the most logical thing to do... but no, that is NOT the case it seems. What should be the case is that a suggester is only allowed on site on any given broad subject. Is that it? While at the same time, an editor can have multiple deep links on the same subject? Yes, I see how the ODP works....

and moot point? indeed... the OP should be ashamed of himself. *rolls eyes* he should know that just because DMOZ has different categories, some being the best categories for his sites, that he should know better than to submit to them.

Qryztufre, Dec 5, 2012 IP
  16. JapaneseCupid

JapaneseCupid Member

Best Answers:
    Each site is unique in that the Lesbian site has a user base that is all lesbian, and the Muslim site has users that are all Muslim. In your example, a Lesbian that is a Muslim in search of other Lesbians would be on the Lesbian dating site. This argument can be made for all dating sites which is why ODP has the different categories. Is it possible to give an editor logon info?

JapaneseCupid, Dec 5, 2012 IP
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Read the bottom paragraph of this link. Note it says that an editor 'may wish' to contact. As I said earlier I would not normally do so and would not normally review a site which required that, but other editors do when they get to the point of reviewing. It does say that the site should not be listed unless it has been seen by the editor.
    http://www.dmoz.org/guidelines/site-specific.html

Anonymously, Dec 5, 2012 IP
  18. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They're just a small part of a nest of around 20 related domain names and, in accord with our Submission Guidelines that you agreed, we'll list one of them at most.

The ones that I checked visibly cross link to each other so one listing is enough/plenty.

That a website has been spread across multiple domain names doesn't make it eligible for multiple listings. There have been plenty of discussions about blue widgets/green widgets in the past and the precedent is clear.

jimnoble, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  19. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, i think my point has been intentionally missed by Q for the sake of twisting an argument. Clearly in this case, the sites are interlinked, they carry the same design (that's an easy ownership indicator) and they are only-differentiated really so the owner has half a dozen income streams instead of the one.

Are they useful content? Hard to say but generally when someone creates 10 different variations on the same theme, it's 10 times less useful.

silencer, Dec 6, 2012 IP
  20. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Yes the 17065 websites all labeled "News on {city/state} on Topix" listed in DMOZ have no overlap.

joeventura, Dec 8, 2012 IP