1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Feedback Once again not smart moderation.

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by dlatua, Sep 3, 2012.

Yea, I've got an infraction about posting in the wrong section a thread.
    Here is the email:
    And yes, the thread got deleted.
    Ok I accept, it probably was the wrong thread (it was in the Programming > PHP section). I have no idea where should I post it, I will not bother posting it again now.
    My question is, wouldn't be smarter to simply move the thread in the correct section and in the same time I'd know where to post the thread instead of deleting it?
    I mean, let's make a conclusion about both cases.
    I get an infraction (1 point) in both cases.
    First case: Thread gets deleted, I understand the fact somehow the thread was posted in the wrong section, but have no idea where could be the right one. Result: Don't post again. Try other forums.
    Second case: Thread gets moved to the right section. I know where should I post next time. Result: I get replies from someone. It results a trade. I stay more in the forum.

dlatua, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    dlatua, you have been around here long enough (3,690)to know that WTH, want to hire, threads belong in appropriate area of buy, sell, trade. :)

Smyrl, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  3. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    So, that is an other reason to delete my thread? Ok, I am sorry, I haven't learned by heart all the sub sub categories lol.

Right now I saw the "hidden" sub sub category in the buy, sell and trade section, in the service sub category, is programming.

dlatua, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  4. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dude you are buying a service so it was kind of obvious that it belongs in BST .

ApocalypseXL, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  5. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Is that still a reason to delete the domain and not move it?
    The point of the thread is, why my thread got deleted instead of moving it, and not why I've got an infraction.

dlatua, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  6. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Stupid moderation strikes again!

I was selling a torrent search engine site.
    My thread was deleted and I got an infraction with the reason: Inappropriate / Disallowed Post
    I believe, once the "smarty" mod red the word torrent immediately deleted my thread The script I am using gets the search results from an other search engine site.

So, what was wrong in this case?

That thread was old, great to know it was moderated so "quick".

dlatua, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  7. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Want to hire threads belong in appropriate area of buy, sell, trade.

OOps, I responded to wrong infraction. Let me look at other one and get back to you.

I am reversing the last infraction due to your Copyright Policy and Content Removal statement.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    Smyrl, Nov 22, 2012 IP
    browntwn likes this.
  8. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am selling a simple specific search engine site. Google can work in the same way too, if you know how to search.

dlatua, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  9. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Seriously @digitalpoint, where did you borrow these moderators?
    I reported my own thread just to let your moderators know that a thread I have posted was in the wrong section, because I didn't knew where was the correct section and I get an infraction point ?

dlatua, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  10. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Are you sure they saw the report? Most of the time we move things and delete things without seeing a report. We take action on things we see, not necessarily just things that are reported.

digitalpoint, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  11. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry, but isn't that one of the moderators job, to see what is reported?

dlatua, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes, I'm just saying that most reports are automatically closed out before anyone needs to look at it because some action was already taken on what was reported (before the report was read). For example, if I see spam, I delete it... I don't go looking through reported posts to see if someone reported it or not. *If* it was already reported, that report is closed out automatically by my deleting or giving an infraction for it.

Otherwise you would end up wasting a massive amount of time trying to figure out what reports were already handled and which ones were not.

I just looked up your last infraction, and in your particular case, I can say with absolute certainty that it was a case of someone handling it without first seeing the report (handling it because they ran across it on their own). Since the report on it was auto-closed by the system, and it had never been read by anyone.

13. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, I see, the report option is just useless, since nobody sees them.
    In my point of view a mod should first review the reports and than go fishing for threads and posts. It is a reasonable way to do things right step by step.
    Anyway, thank you for letting me know how the report system works (if we can call it so).

dlatua, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The report system isn't useless at all. We go through tons of them... I'm just saying that if we run across something that isn't allowed (like spam), we take action immediately.

It would be rather silly to make a policy that we can ONLY take action on something that was first reported.

15. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good reason to don't bother checking them.
    I guess you must have a lot of luck to run across something that isn't allowed.

It would be silly to try searching for threads against the rules when other users already found some of them.
    Why do you go to the extrema by mentioning only? What I said, is first thing to do is check reported threads and than look in the forum for other threads/posts.

I am trying to help here since what was done was wrong. It's fine you can keep the wrong way doing moderating.

dlatua, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  16. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My experience with the reporting system doesn't match yours. I've seen action taken on posts I reported. As for limiting the mods to not acting on what they run across until the report queue is empty... that'd be counter-productive.

I take it you've never run one {or at least run one right, that's obvious based on your posts}. Are you in the habit of drawing maps to places you've never been?

robjones, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  17. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    More likely is that they are using the forum, reading threads, and happen across something that is not allowed. You don't suggested they ignore what they plainly see and do nothing since some might also be in the report queue to review?

I would assume that they use and read the forum and deal with what they come across and also deal with items in the report queue. Seems like common sense. Not sure why it makes you so irate.

browntwn, Nov 30, 2012 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  18. BSMedia

BSMedia Active Member

Best Answers:
    All this over 2 infractions? Seriously dude, try living on the edge a little and have a nice rotating infraction count of like 7 or 8 constantly.

That's how I like to do it, though I haven't had time lately to pick any infractions up.

Big effing deal you got a thread deleted, you learned something (the proper place to post it), now go post it there if it was that important.

BSMedia, Dec 1, 2012 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  19. dlatua

dlatua Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What's the point on giving your own experience, when digitalpoint himself approved that reported posts/threads are not in the top of to-do list for moderators.
    I received the infraction about 3-4 hours after my post, so I don't think my thread was seen in the "new posts". A moderator had lots of time to review repoted posts.
    If they just do so w/o checking first reported threads, they wont make to the second page of a section.
    "Not sure why it makes you so irate."
    If you read all the thread, you'd probably understand why.
    Regarding the firs post of this thread, my deleted thread was moved as it was the right thing to do.
    It doesn't work in that way, if my thread gets deleted, why should I write again? There are hundreds of alternatives out of there.
    From all of this, my time spent in this forum is decreasing.

dlatua, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  20. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Moderators are free to do what they want with their time. They are users just like everyone else. Claiming that I know what is the top of any user's "to-do" list in their life would be silly.

The bottom line is that if mods/admins run across something that should be deleted or is misplaced, we will correct it as we see it.

digitalpoint, Dec 1, 2012 IP