1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what is the fastest and efficient way to get listing in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by kroyal, Nov 19, 2012.

1. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Questions:

1. Who owns the DMOZ servers?
    2. Who pays the hosting fees and/or Internet circuits?
    3. Who performs the backups on the DMOZ servers?

Since none of the answers to these questions include a not-for-profit organization or a charity.

Last I checked it was AOL/Netscape. Commercial Organizations both.

DMOZ.org the Open Project is a non-revenue generating, drag on resources portion of AOL that operates at a loss each and every day. But still a commercial organization.

joeventura, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1 AOL
    2 AOL
    3 SOL (no body ~ as seen in the crash back in 2005)

Qryztufre, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  3. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont know why you keep making these stupid insinuations. :( Which one of the thousands of Animal Welfare Sites do you think is offering money for a listing? Which one of the Cancer Support Groups? Are the children affected by AMC (Multiplex Congentita Arthtrogroposis) paying for listings.

Given that ive done over 10K edits in these fields, you should be able to back your offensive insinuations with some proof :(

But we both know you cant so anyone with decency would lay off defaming me and stop making themselves look like an arsehole:(

snooks, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  4. joeventura

Best Answers:

First this is not about YOU. This is about DMOZ editors taking money for listings. If you are saying I am accusing you, then perhaps a reading comprehension class is in order.
    For all I know you are the most honest person in the world. But some of the folks you share your "Hobby" with are taking payment.

You demand proof..........

Well here is my question, how many example of proof will you need before say I am right?
    My guess is you will never concede the point.

But on the outside chance you may be a logical person and recognize corruption when you see it, here is the first example.

On Sept 9, 2012 a contractor on Elance named: STF-Webdesigns
    completed a job for someone named benalvord
    They paid them $125 to complete the job.

The job listing read as follows:

I need to get a site listed in DMOZ. I've already submitted it to the category it should be in, but the category has no editor, and I know it can literally take years.

I don't need submission services. I will not fund this job with escrow unless your profile clearly shows that you have successfully completed jobs like this in the past. Payment will only be delivered after site is successfully shown within the requested category.

The job was completed and the money was paid.

Here is the link with all the details:

https://www.elance.com/e/benalvord/

So I may look like an Arsehole, but I sound like the Arsehole who just gave you proof positive that some editors are on the take.

Now I expect you to come back with either:

1. That's just one example
    2. I don't believe it
    3. I set that all up and paid someone $125 to appear to buy a DMOZ listing.

Give it your best shot. And try not to sound like an Arsehole doing it.

Renatus likes this.
  5. joeventura

Best Answers:

funny!!! Lol

6. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I see the link and there is no way in the world that this is "proof positive".

The guy placing the job states
    The guy accepting the job, if you check his profile, has only a feedback of 3, as far as i can see, of which none are for getting a listing. Yet.....the guy who wants the listing still proceeds with the job?? You have a poor perception of what proof is.

Im not saying DMOZ has never had a bad or crooked Editor, im sure we have....but you infer every editor is crooked and your inference about me, the statement with the dollar symbols is plainly about me as it answered my comment. Now dont lie and say its not.......

Regards these listings you see in elance and places like that, i firmly believe its scammers getting money from webmasters that are obssessing about gaining a listing. How hard is it to make a profile, do a few "false" jobs for listings with some other duplicate profiles and instantly you now have a profile that shows you have done 2 or 3 "proof positive" listings for cash.

You see prime examples of scams on Flippa where the Paypal Reciepts show that this "new beaut site" has earned $x in only 3 weeks. Do you really think people dont make false profiles to give their other profiles feedback PROVING they can do listings?

Then, when somone else advertises in desperation for a listing you get to scam him also and get his money.....it doesnt seem a hard scam to operate at all.

How about getting proof and by that, i mean

Site A was listed by such and such, here is a thread where he asked, or here is a copy of the email he sent me, or here is a copy of the paypal payment, or the western union reciept. Now that would be proof, that would be something the Metas could act on and believe me, no one would be happier than me if we were to catch an Editor doing something like that that.

If you were being accused of something you would expect the person to have facts and proof......then the same courtesy applies in reverse.

snooks, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  7. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hey snooks, it's easier on the blood pressure if you block posts from malevolent ex and declined would be editors. It's pretty obvious to all what they are so there's no need to play their games. It works for me :).

jimnoble, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    http://www.freelancer.com/projects/SEO-Link-Building/Need-Fast-DMOZ-Listing.html

Completed transaction, positive feed back, and at one point there was an ODP listing before it was pointed out ( a while back, like when scriptlance was freelance) & removed.

Qryztufre, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  9. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dead right Jim.......its like talking to a brick wall. :(

snooks, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  10. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No they take notice.

Q, V and others are not interested in trying to give some honest answers, just making smokescreens and working their own agenda out. Pity that DP does not reign them in a bit more.

Anonymously, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  11. joeventura

Best Answers:
    Yes and you would also have to agree that if I had live video, serial numbers of cash and everything else, you still would not say it was proof, so I won't post the rest.

That is untrue. If you inferred that, it was incorrect and not my intention. And I will go as far as to say I apologize if you thought thats what I meant.

What I meant, and what I have ALWAYS meant when posting messages to anyone who blindly defends DMOZ like you do, is that there are editors that can be bought. I am SURE you are not one of them and I am sure my last message adequately proves to the average person that my statement is true.

We will have to disagree on that, the guy said he wouldn't pay until he saw the listing and clearly he gave the seller the money and a 5 star review.

They may but they don't give the seller a 5 star review.

12. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I appreciate and accept your apology.

snooks, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  13. chrisirwin

chrisirwin Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Anoymously, Thank you for your post. Please could you give me some guidance. I have an SEO business in South Africa and have submitted in March without any success. There are companies that started up after mine that have managed 3 (three) DMOZ listings synergizeonline.net/

chrisirwin, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Annonymously would tell you that once you have suggested the site, that all you can do is simply wait. It may be a day, it may be many years....we simply do not know when a volunteer Editor will choose to do some work in that area. Anything that you do now can only be detrimental to your cause, so forget about the listing and move on and promote your site by other methods.

snooks, Dec 1, 2012 IP
    Renatus likes this.
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Since when does Snooks blindly defend when he says in that post
    So stop keep twisting things that have not been said and making stupid blanket statements that have not been made by imputing what you know to be lies in accusing snooks of this.....easy to apologise but you need to think more seriously about the way you post and perhaps why you post the way you do.

Anonymously, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  16. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Corruption exists everywhere. Anyone that suggests it doesn't is ignorant. Right now, in Australia, there are corruption probes going through countless business organisations (usually the big ones because those are the ones people care about).

Your point is well made, but you stop short. Well short. Proof of corruption isn't that someone was able to get listed. If we wanted to really prove that point, I think anyone could. The real proof would be if the listing stayed, and the editor also stayed.

If they don't, meaning if they are removed upon being found guilty of said corruption, then you can hardly call the organisation corrupt.

That's where your point falls flat. Pointing out a random potential corrupt listing, is only valid if 1) the listing still exists in the directory, and 2) the editor still exists at the directory. If 1) and 2) can't be proven it's a moot point.

And that's where the point falls short. You can't tar everyone with the same brush because someone might have taken money for a listing a long time ago...

If there is a culture of corruption, that is rife, then let's see the evidence. Otherwise I'd suggest the odd rogue editor in an otherwise ethical machine, isn't out of the ordinary. It might even be typical.

silencer, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  17. mugwande

mugwande Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Patience is the only thing that you need after submitting your site because thereis no easy way to do it than waiting

mugwande, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  18. IB Global Academy

IB Global Academy Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is best thing but it is actually tough to be listen in it

IB Global Academy, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  19. angelicakaka

angelicakaka Active Member

Best Answers:
    There is no fast way to be listed. I even tried to become an editor and I have chosen super good websites to be listed - when they asked for 3 websites which I would list if I were an editor - they rejected it! I wish it was possible by paying it but unfortunately not possible

angelicakaka, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Perhaps the reason for your rejection is contained in your post
    . If DMOZ believe that is the only reason they will not accept the application, however good sites one offers.

Anonymously, Dec 3, 2012 IP