1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

what is the fastest and efficient way to get listing in DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by kroyal, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I got traffic from them once, but am pretty sure it was just the editor that added my site. Generally no though. Honestly, ask your friends on facebook if they know what DMOZ is or if they have ever been there. If any of them say YES ask them if they are webmasters. No one has a real reason to use the ODP anymore these days other then to be an editor, or as "yet another free directory" to submit too.

Qryztufre, Nov 21, 2012 IP
  2. joeski_doeski

joeski_doeski Peon

Best Answers:
    ok, but what benefits would you get from being an DMOZ editor besides putting it on your CV and bragging among a crowd of 40+ webmasters? Does this in any way affect SEO? Someone mentioned to me that DMOZ had been used in initial Google Ranking algorythm... it has obviously changed in the mean time.

What value added can an DMOZ editor status bring me?

joeski_doeski, Nov 21, 2012 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Becoming an editor adds you among the elite group of 500-600 editors that get to come into forums like this saying you don't care about webmasters... you also get to add your own site(s) assuming they are actually listable (because being new, your adds will be reviewed).

You will also get random emails from various webmasters asking you to add their sites for money! On 3rd party sites a DMOZ listing sells for $50-$250. The trouble with that though, is if you are caught you run the risk of being banned as an editor and having all of your sites removed.

Qryztufre, Nov 21, 2012 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    None not even the things you mention, please do not apply, DMOZ is for people who want a hobby of collecting and collating sites for use by end users.

Anonymously, Nov 21, 2012 IP
    joeski_doeski likes this.
  5. joeski_doeski

joeski_doeski Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought so, thanks.

joeski_doeski, Nov 21, 2012 IP
  6. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Q! And yes I did write it myself. :cool:

Happy Thanksgiving!

joeventura, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  7. joeventura

Best Answers:

Putting DMOZ on your CV in 2012 would be like putting Steam Engine Mechanic on your resume' in 2012.

joeventura, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  8. joeski_doeski

joeski_doeski Peon

Best Answers:
    I still have cyclades or digiboard multiport serial cards from the 90s on one of my old CVs...try that on a job interview today...

joeski_doeski, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  9. IB Global Academy

IB Global Academy Member

Best Answers:
    To listed in DMOZ you should submit your website with full of patience and wait for 6months

IB Global Academy, Nov 22, 2012 IP
  10. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wrong again Joe.......32 applications gets you flagged as a spammer and sent to Hell. You should have known that :) RAFLMAO.

snooks, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  11. joeventura

Best Answers:
    You are right, even God gives you 31 more chances than DMOZ does!! ;)

joeventura, Nov 25, 2012 IP
  12. tentwenty

tentwenty Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personally I have found having a physical address on your website helps getting accepted into dmoz.

tentwenty, Nov 25, 2012 IP
  13. joeventura

Best Answers:
    So will that shorten the review time from 4 years to ??????

joeventura, Nov 25, 2012 IP
    silencer likes this.
  14. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The review time is NOT 4 years so its a moot issue. Reviews can be 1 day, they could be many years, there is no standard time for suggestions to be looked at.

snooks, Nov 25, 2012 IP
  15. joeventura

Best Answers:
    It's funny how I exaggerate on the high end and you do the same on the low end.

One day?!?!?! ROFLMAO!!! :D :D :D :D

joeventura, Nov 26, 2012 IP
  16. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What about the sites that the Editors find themselves when they are just looking around? They add them and technically that means there may have been NO waiting time at all, if the webmaster never suggested it.

Everyone seems to forget that :)

snooks, Nov 26, 2012 IP
  17. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've had a submission take ~2 years to gain a listing. I submitted once, and forgot about it. The listing was for a chat medium. The editor visited that chat medium and let us know they had included the listing. They visited to ensure that the medium was as described, and was still online etc. They gave no specific reason as to why the listing took that timeframe to approve, but they alluded to the fact that there was a mountain of submissions to go through, and that many of the sites being reviewed no longer existed or weren't as described. They then left the medium.

It can take a long time.

The flip-side of the coin. I've also had sites included that I never submitted. So in that sense, I never "waited" to be approved, and as you suggest that is a 1-day or same-day inclusion, if we look at it that way :)

silencer, Nov 28, 2012 IP
  18. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Mostly DMOZ editors try and show the way that it is. I have found many of the sites I have listed, I have also listed many sites that have been suggested. Some of those were suggested yesterday, because I happened to be working that section, they were just lucky. Some I have listed that have sat around for years. DMOZ or it's editors can never may any predictions about when a site will be reviewed and even less about a site that the editor 'finds' for themselves.

Editors also try and point out what the directory is, in terms of being a hobbyist project, and not to expect what it cannot deliver. There are some issues that editors are simply not allowed to take up because they are legal issues and commercial issues that rightly belong to the owners.

Sadly another task on here for editors is to cut through some of the misconceptions, deliberate smoke screening by some and twisting of information to try and take a rise out of the editors and/or DMOZ itself. This last mostly from site owners who felt they had been rejected and were desperate to get listed or from former editors who carry their own grudge about the way they left by resigning or being booted for abusive editing.

Anonymously, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  19. joeventura

Best Answers:
    We are talking suggestions/submissions here, not the $tuff the editors "di$cover" all by them$elves.

joeventura, Nov 29, 2012 IP
  20. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    As I have previously said it can take from a few days, I am told to get through our spam filters, to a few years for a suggestion to be reviewed. It is said like that because, as far as I know, there are no figures about how long a site has been in the pool before a review, neither does DMOZ, as far as I know, any real interest in those figures. If this were a commercial organisation and people had paid then there may be a reason to see if the directory is not living up to its obligations. Many of us as editors have listed sites very quickly in categories that we particularly have a passion for or just that they got lucky. But it is entirely misleading, no worse than that, just telling lies, to try and quote any figures about how long it will take. Either by suggesting, as you did, that none are listed quickly or to suggest that all are. You and I do not know how many and editors could only say how many they had listed in the last month, which had also been suggested in that same time frame and i don't think many editors would even want to know, it is of no importance, we list in the areas that we want to do so. Sometimes that means that we want to review an area because suggestions have not been looked at for a long time.

Unfortunately some people just like to poke fun and put down, that's OK BUT people are looking for answers and your twisted, mischievous, deliberately misleading (because you really don't know) answers given to satisfy your own agenda does not help them.

Anonymously, Nov 30, 2012 IP
    Linktub likes this.