1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How can we get listing in DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ssalinks, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Cheese and mold I would assume....

I wish the ODP would change a few of their rules as well. Many are no longer relevant or simply worded very badly.

Qryztufre, Nov 1, 2012 IP
  2. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Biggest change they need to make is to STOP taking suggestions and allow editors to find their own sites, instead of allowing spammy sites to be suggested and allowing site owners to complain that their site has not been listed. Make the project better, cut acrimony about listings at a stroke and save editors from being pilloried for enjoying their hobby.

Anonymously, Nov 1, 2012 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    I FULLY agree, that way everyone will stop thinking it's worthy of submitting to. Take the submissions away and the dinosaur will finally die. As it stands the only people that think its worthy still are editors and webmasters reading blogs last updated in the late nineties.

Sadly the editing community is sooooo elitest, they no longer care about the end user, or even the sites they add. it's all about the edit count.

Qryztufre, Nov 5, 2012 IP
  4. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What might give those poor submitters the idea it's a big deal?

Maybe someone that edited there for about an hour, then devotes their entire forum life to it 5 years later. Just a guess.

robjones, Nov 5, 2012 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Oh rob... you are such a card. We all help out where we can ;)

Qryztufre, Nov 5, 2012 IP
  6. cooljeeten7

cooljeeten7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Then what will be the easy and fast way to list my site on DMOZ ?

cooljeeten7, Nov 5, 2012 IP
  7. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Simple....read the many hundreds of threads and then you will see how stupid the question you have asked, really is:(

You either cant read or you are too lazy....which is it?

snooks, Nov 5, 2012 IP
  8. cooljeeten7

cooljeeten7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dear Mr. Snooks,

Before telling these thing I would like to inform you that I had read all the things, but even DMOZ is not working that's why i am asking for any alternate way to list my site to DMOZ, I am not a lazy nor stupid, before telling these things see your face on mirror and hope you will see your stupid and lazy face.

cooljeeten7, Nov 5, 2012 IP
  9. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why ask what has been asked many, many, many times? Just read the hundreds of answers. Do you expect a special answer?

I dont get what you mean about DMOZ not working????

I looked in the mirror and yep...thats me:) Im talking to the guy asking the silly question instead of reading the threads.:)

snooks, Nov 6, 2012 IP
  10. Ghostring

Ghostring Banned

Best Answers:
    I must be doing something wrong - have tried to send my site to DMOZ for over two years with no luck.

Ghostring, Nov 6, 2012 IP
  11. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Another person not able to read on here. Please just read some of the threads on here before you make a statement that has been made and answered hundreds of times before.

Anonymously, Nov 6, 2012 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    And another person that could have answered the question in the same time it took to not answer it...

http://www.dmoz.org/add.html

I assume you read that page... the one that says to submit ONCE to the single best category. So I assume that by trying for years, ya mean you submitted once and are waiting?

Submit & Forget ~ That is ALL you can do.

Qryztufre, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  13. robmypro

robmypro Peon

Best Answers:
    I am on the fence about ODP. On the one hand I see the countless hours volunteers have put into it, and feel that it has been an honorable use of their time. But as a business owner trying to get my site included, waiting 5+ years seems excessive. But I am being patient, since I really don't have a choice. Lol.

robmypro, Nov 11, 2012 IP
  14. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ummm, 5 years, you aren't getting a listing. Just saying.

Its like the old saying, if a tree falls in the woods and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a noise?

If you submit a website to DMOZ and there is no one there to review it, does it make a listing? No.

joeventura, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Ask for your money back.

On the other hand you could spend some time volunteering to help create a directory for use by end users. Many/most of the volunteers at DMOZ also have to earn a living and have businesses, you just expect that those others will want to spend their spare time listing your site to promote your business??? DMOZ and its editors have no interest in any value that might or might not be added to a site when it is listed, neither do the editors work so that businesses or non-commercial sites can be listed in a time-scale that suits the owners. Never have done, never will do, but if people like yourself who want to be listed spend some of their spare time working on DMOZ then DMOZ captures more of the internet into categorised data than it would without you. Just press the button on most pages that says "volunteer to edit this category" and pass the entry test.

Anonymously, Nov 16, 2012 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Wait what? Where can I pay for a listing?

being a smart ass is not really a good recruiting tactic.

Qryztufre, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  17. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You are assuming the poster can remember which editor they bribed (after waiting five years).

@robmypro, why do you want you site included in a directory? Five years and your business still exists, which suggests to me that it can live without DMOZ. :)

ryan_uk, Nov 18, 2012 IP
  18. miglena.nedelcheva

miglena.nedelcheva Peon

Best Answers:
    OK then! Should I submit or not? Our website $earch is not ready now, but I'm reading info to prepare myself. I read it's recommended to submit the site in DMOZ to increase traffic. But jimnoble wrote: "An ODP listing is unlikely to increase traffic". I'm really confused. May you help a little?

miglena.nedelcheva, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  19. narchitectural

narchitectural Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,,

I have a same problem, submit my website on DMOZ but no-reply .. i want to know that why faced this non submitted issue??

narchitectural, Nov 19, 2012 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

Ignore anything and everything you read from the ODP mainsite. It's been a decade since they updated any of it, and while it used to be top notch, and used to give traffic and rank, it simply no longer is or does. Most of the things the editors and non-editors here is closer to reality, though generally some place in between.

You have to deal with non-submitted issues because dmoz is non-committal to it's end user.

Qryztufre, Nov 19, 2012 IP