1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Did I make a bad domain name choice?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Jaack_Dawson, Nov 8, 2012.

Hi all,

After registering my domain name, I'm starting to think that I've made a big mistake in terms of SEO (apologies if this is the wrong forum for SEO relating to domain names)

My website is several years old and we were on our original domain name for 4 years. I registered the new one in January and moved the site to the new domain this September.

The website name is "Game Dev Unlimited", the current domain is "gdunlimited.net".

Obviously, this doesn't contain many keywords. What I would like to know is how harmful this is, particular in light of my competitors who's domains have keywords, and in light of the fact that I'm not the best SEO around.

The reason I chose that one was because of length, I thought "gamedevunlimited.net" was a bit long.

Would another shift be harmful (if the best option is to move domain names again)?

Perhaps "gamedevu.net" would be the better the option.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark.

Jaack_Dawson, Nov 8, 2012 IP
  2. lpcherry

lpcherry Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have enough keywords on your page, Google will figure out what your site is about even if your domain name is not that descriptive. If you just moved the site in September, give it some time to rank for the keywords you want. Also, I assume you have created a link from your old site to new one to redirect traffic?

lpcherry, Nov 9, 2012 IP
  3. lothos

lothos Member

Best Answers:
    you can do SEO on any domain. Your domain is your brand, like Yahoo or Ford. Not every domain is a keyword domain, or else ford would own americancarmanufacturer.com.

Don't switch your domain just for SEO.

lothos, Nov 9, 2012 IP
  4. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    gamedevu.net would have been great. But then google as the biggest and widely use search engine don't care about domains anymore. Recently, there are thousands of websites who uses exact match domain are affected by the change of their algorithm. What matters now is the unique content s of the site. If somehow you have avail these domains, you might just use them to redirect to the gdunlimited.net. or maybe use the other domains to promote the gdunlimited.net

etc, Nov 12, 2012 IP
  5. pupul

pupul Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Now Google is penalizing keyword domains. So get a short and brandable domain name for your website.
    I have both website on brandable domain and keyword domain. Brandable domain is doing better than keyword domain for same work.
    So I stopped working on keyword domains.

pupul, Nov 12, 2012 IP
  6. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Nonsense. They are penalizing low quality keyword domains.

dcristo, Nov 12, 2012 IP
  7. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with etc; gamedevu.net is a nice brand name, but GDUnlimited.net isn't too bad either. Focus on establishing your brand (whichever you choose). Don't think about Google/SEO, but instead your target market. Why not ask a few friends (who aren't SEOs, but are into games/coding, i.e. fit into your target market) what they think about the names?

Remember, anyone can make a brand, brands had to start somewhere. Establishing your brand means earning the respect of other people and a reason to trust you and link to you. Know your market - not just the gamers (for example), but also the reviews, etc. Make contacts, establish relationships, gain followers and the links will come naturally. It's hard work, but if it's a genuine business then it will be worth it. Good luck.

ryan_uk, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  8. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    As long as both domains are "clean" (no manual penalties, no spamming, no algorithmic adjusts) then a well-planned moved will go fine. If you reall need to do it (as mentioned before, GD Unlimited is a good brand choice, too).

ryan_uk, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  9. pupul

pupul Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What you have told is what you are? Be polite.
    I have told what I have seen. As you have all keyword domains in your signature you may not agree with me. But that does not mean you will say anything to me.
    What I have told is a small part. Google is not giving that importance to new keyword domains.
    Or old domains with new sites. There is more possibility of penalize if done little mistakes too.
    And for established websites with keyword domains, they will keep up their form. But some will go down.

pupul, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  10. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    You need to start following Matt Cutts. In this article you can find copies of his "tweets" about it:

http://www.webpronews.com/matt-cutts-just-announced-a-google-algorithm-change-2012-09

The key point in his tweet is low quality (as dcristo mentioned). He doesn't write all, just low quality.

ryan_uk, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  11. pupul

pupul Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I don't mind for anything else other than that "nonsense" word. He may have told me that what you are saying is wrong.
    Instead of saying that, he mentioned nonsense. He should know, it do hurts someone.

pupul, Nov 13, 2012 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  12. NeilPearson

NeilPearson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    aww, you hurt his feelings :(

NeilPearson, Nov 13, 2012 IP
    pupul likes this.
  13. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Just grow a thicker skin, don't take things so personally. You will come across worse in the real world and also online. And especially in business.

ryan_uk, Nov 13, 2012 IP
    pupul likes this.
  14. HostPlanz

HostPlanz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    pupul, you need a tissue to cry like a baby brah?

HostPlanz, Nov 13, 2012 IP
  15. Jaack_Dawson

Jaack_Dawson Member

Best Answers:
    ohoh..what is happening..here..don't fight each other here..i just asked something very casually...

Jaack_Dawson, Nov 14, 2012 IP
  16. diversified_products

diversified_products Peon

Best Answers:
    It is not necessary that your domain will always be Keyword or your business constrain, you need to focus more on Keyword and content on the website, Google and other search engine love content rich website and try to use the guide of SEO, your website will do well..

diversified_products, Nov 14, 2012 IP
  17. warriorworking

warriorworking Member

Best Answers:
    Google just hit a lot of sites for being too close to the mark with exact match domains, so it is less of a cause for concern to exactly match domains when making a purchase. Just have the site name the way you want it. Search engines will figure out the rest.

warriorworking, Nov 14, 2012 IP
  18. tusharbatra

tusharbatra Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well It doesn't matter if you have exact keyword domain or totally unrelated domain.

What google have done is that it will rank only those sites which have quality authority links , quality content so work on your site with proper marketing and you will get ranked well

tusharbatra, Nov 21, 2012 IP
  19. ImageAuthors

ImageAuthors Member

Best Answers:
    GDunlimited.net is better than GameDevUnlimited.net. Neither one is ideal. The domain is important for more reasons than just SEO. Brand recognition, memorability, and a first impression of authority are also quite important factors that are all related to the domain name itself. Once you can afford to upgrade to a better domain brand, let me know; and I'll help you out.

ImageAuthors, Nov 23, 2012 IP
  20. mugwande

mugwande Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Okay the name may matter a little but you need to put very keywords on your site as google like them and also get some quality back links for your site, once you do that, you will forget about the name thing

mugwande, Nov 23, 2012 IP