1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hostage taking Obama holds gun to the head of Economy

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Obamanation, Nov 9, 2012.

Essentially, Obama is telling us if congress doesn't agree to his term of punitively single out the rich for massive tax hikes, he will let the economy collapse. Who is holding the economy hostage now?

Shocking that he thinks his election means Americans agreed with his policies. He must not have noticed that the Republicans who opposed his policies in congress also won reelection, and not one election based on one personality and one competitor, but multiple elections across multiple states involving multiple personalities and multiple competitors.

Obamanation, Nov 9, 2012 IP
  2. earlpearl

earlpearl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The extreme right wing of the GOP puts out pieces like the above that are as close to the truth as the claims by extreme fundamentalists from Islam.

Simply they twist the truth. Most Americans don't buy into it. In the latest election, as votes are still being tallied Obama is now 3 million votes above Romney. What is stunning, and worth looking at, is that Democratic candidates for the House of Representatives tallied more votes in total than did GOP candidates for the House of Representatives; roughly by about 500,000 as of the latest tallies.

The only way the GOP holds onto the House is via extreme gerrymandering of Congressional Districts in states run by GOP legislatures. While both parties do this, the GOP does more. It is a shame, A Right Wing GOP majority, seriously dominated by Tea Party Fanatics are now facing the 'fiscal cliff"

What is going to occur during the next two months is anyone's guess as a lot of negotiations will ensue. No doubt though the extremist side of the GOP will continue to push for its agenda even as the public voted against it.

There is a lot of anguish and post election moaning and groaning within GOP ranks. There will be a lot of inner party tension as realists will try and get the party to change its angry exclusionary ways while the extremists will want to hold onto positions that reflect an ever diminishing minority of voters.

With Obama's election that is 4 of the last 6 presidential elections going to Dems, and 5 of the last 6 popular votes going for Dems.

In this last election:

Asians voted overwhelmingly for Obama
    Hispanics voted overwhelmingly for Obama
    African Americans voted overwhelmingly for Obama
    Women voted overwhelmingly for Obama
    Cuban Americans in Florida voted at a virtual tie for Obama and Romney after decades of overwhelming Cuban American support for the GOP(because of the positions on Castro/Cuba)

The extremist "vision" simply pisses off a lot of people. Besides regularly twisting the truth its full of hate. Makes one think of Islamic fundamentalists. Come to think of it the teaparty type extremist GOP in 2008 blocked the first congressional vote on the bailout and sent the entire financial world into a tailspin downward, fortunately quickly rectified a few days later by a revote. Last year the teaparty extremists blocked raising the debt ceiling at first, causing debt rating companies to drop the US financial ratings for a single reason; political inability to do things that are "normal".

Both those destructive votes were exactly what Islamic fundamentalists like Osama bin Laden would have wanted. Lots of similarities.

Somehow at this point in time, while twisting the truth and wanting to continue the extremist attacks on Obama and the Dems, the extremists forget a couple of simple facts that a majority of Americans believe:

there is debt. the simple, historical, and fundamental way these types of issues are always dealt with in any framework is that EVERYBODY takes a hit. the extremist position is everybody takes a hit except the super wealthy...and in fact they get rewards.

Have you ever seen anything so @ss backwards???

earlpearl, Nov 9, 2012 IP
  3. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's funny that you mention islamic fundamentalist when your Imbecile in Cheif does the best he can to support them and cuddle them .

ApocalypseXL, Nov 9, 2012 IP
  4. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    As I was saying about the idiotic angry comments from the extremist wing of the Far Right..........

earlpearl, Nov 9, 2012 IP
  5. Obamanation

Obamanation Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Earl, your fantasy writing is getting better! I absolutely love how you try and marginalize the mandate of the house republicans with idiotic and unrelated statistics about the demography of Obama's vote, or the margin of victory. The BS factor of your post was off the charts. I thought the following two gems were worthy of special mention.

The GOP does it more? Really? I would absolutely love to see some empirical evidence that compares the two parties and backs your statement with fact. Its just complete BS. You made it up out of whole cloth, and you used a BS statistic to try and back the claim.

Here is a colorized 3-d map of the US showing both population and political affiliation.
    [​IMG]

The problem, as you see, is that Democrats all pack into small geographical areas of group think, like rats or cockroaches. Such densly packed metropolitan areas are a) gerrymandered by the Democrats for security, and b) difficult to divy up, leaving densly populated metropolitan areas voting en masse (like the mindless little drones they are) for a few candidates.

If they sprawled a bit and moved to the burbs, they would more easily be able to carve out new congressional districts. Unfortunately for you, it is equally likely they would start voting Republican as their earning potential went up and as they move from their group think environment.

While that may be true regarding social issues of gay marriage and the like, Republican, and more specifically Tea Party Republican views on the economy are actually more popular than the views held by our president.

Remember. The president was sent back by the American voters, and so where the Tea Party Republicans. We actually added a new Tea Party seat to the Senate. A Latino. From Texas. It just destroys all the little stereotypes liberals cling to as if they are meaningful.

Obamanation, Nov 9, 2012 IP
  6. Bushranger

Bushranger Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Isn't that usually why people vote for you? I think that is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever read from you.

If Romney won by 1% you woulda said he had a mandate to tear America apart i'm sure.

Bushranger, Nov 10, 2012 IP
  7. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    I probably should have been more specific, but I figured that since this is a thread about the economy, you would have the connection that I was talking about Obama's economic policies.

Obama ran a demographically targeted campaign. To Latinos, he tried to make the election about immigration policies. To women, he tried to make the election about Abortion policies. To young people, he tried to make the election about college grants. To blacks, well, actually, he didn't really even talk to blacks. To gays, he tried to make the election about gay marriage. He just took it for granted that they would vote for him based on the color of his skin and his party affiliation. He was right

Notice that none of the above reasons for voting for Obama included endorsement of his economic policies. It didn't mean women agreed with his immigration policies, or that Hispanics and Blacks agreed with his gay marriage policies.

Tearing the country apart was Obama's platform. Bringing the country together was Romney's platform, and yes, had he won by 1%, I would have said he had a mandate to do exactly that.

Obamanation, Nov 11, 2012 IP
  8. grpaul

grpaul Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Was talking to my brother last night and he made an interesting point:

Obama keeps extending unemployment, so why in the hell go back to work?!

Romney wants to get people BACK TO WORK. The grinch!

Romney was basically running against Santa Claus - how in the hell do you beat that?!

grpaul, Nov 11, 2012 IP
  9. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    I thought this statement was laughable enough to merit a second round of ridicule. Have a look at this slide show from the liberal Slate Magazine, of the most gerrymandered congressional districts in the country. As you flip through the slides, try and keep a tally of how many are Republican and how many are Democrat.

I thought the conversation was particularly relevant, now that Col. West is on the ropes after being targeted by the Democrats. Have a look at the district he represents, and tell me if you think his constituents are Republicans or Democrats. Frankly, I'm amazed a Republican can even get elected there. I guess they didn't think he'd turn out to be an Uncle Tom.

[​IMG]

A little more grist for the mill, check out the write up on new redistricting measures Floridians put on the ballot to get rid of gerrymandering.
    Essentially, even when voters pass ballot measures to block gerrymandering, Democrats and their surrogates file lawsuits to block the legislation. Without gerrymandering, the Democrats would have practically no representation in congress at all.

It didn't used to be difficult before the Democrats started busing the 54,000 residents of Cabrini Green to the polls. 54,000 Democrats in one square city mile in Chicago. Now if only the Democrats can figure out a way to take a couple of the low income high rises out of that mile and add them to the various heavily Republican voting districts in the suburbs that surround to water down their vote. Its the only way to disenfranchise the vote of a map that is painted mostly red.
    [​IMG]

10. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @ Obamanation
    Did you consider re districting by states ?

popotalk, Nov 11, 2012 IP
  11. boblord666

boblord666 Member

Best Answers:
    Damn that Obama, fancy making the election about people and what's important to them. He's got a nerve.

Mind you he did win the election rather convincingly:)

His first major victory this term has happened I see with the Republicans "changing their mind" about illegals.

boblord666, Nov 11, 2012 IP
  12. earlpearl

Best Answers:
    O-nation: You can continue to bellow out the Hard Core Right Wing Extremist positions. You can pull 1 example of 435 congressional seats with regard to supporting the Right Wing Extremist Position.

You can take my words and twist them as you do all the time.

Here is what I said above:
    One could read the comments from Popotalk, above relative to redistricting.

The facts remain the facts:

The Dems/Obama won the popular vote in the election:
    The Dems/Obama won the electoral vote in the election:
    There are a lot of states either hard core GOP or Dem. They all went according to the Polls. The election was fought on "battleground" states. Obama won all but 1. Where it counted Obama won big...winning all but one battleground state.

Ohio, Virginia, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Nevada, Colorado, New Hampshire, Florida all went for Obama. North Carolina went for Romney. Romney made a push to try and win Pennsylvania. Romney LOST.

More people voted for Dems in Congressional races, yet the GOP maintained the majority of the house. Seems like more GOP congressional gerrymandering to me and any rational person.

On the exit polls more people said Bush was responsible for the Recession. They didn't buy the Right Wing Story.

Obama clearly campaigned in one part on the aspect of raising taxes on those that can afford it, as an aspect of fighting budget deficits. The GOP ran on rewarding those that can afford it, by giving them BIGGER tax cuts.

So now this "fiscal cliff" issue is going to hit Congress. The GOP has already and historically voted its "principals" when TARP came up in 2008. Initially the GOP voted against it. The entire financial markets of all types crashed. Then there was a revote in days, TARP was passed. It was a first step to recovery.

In 2011 The GOP voted against raising the Debt ceiling, something that has been done pretty automatically throughout history:

In order to get the debt ceiling raised in 2011 there was this outrageous further example of GOP blackmailing of the nation's finances. The result was a drastic situation facing the nation as of 12/31/12 with the "fiscal cliff"

In order to help close budget deficits Obama has a very simple proposal:

Make sure everyone participates, make sure everyone feels some of the pain. In doing that he proposes raising taxes on the wealthiest of the wealthy.

Calling it blackmail is more Extremist Right Wing double talk. Its parity. Its common sense. It also represents the sense of the past election.

Its pretty simple. Unless you are an extremist right winger.

earlpearl, Nov 11, 2012 IP
  13. Bushranger

Best Answers:
    That certainly explains it. I wasn't sure what you meant but I laughed when I read it, thinking it was rhetorical but then thought maybe you mean they voted AGAINST Romney rather than FOR Obama, which could be right too..

From what I hear it was that new Messina guy. He worked on the database that targeted the right people and got them moving. Romney's camp supposedly was a little slower there.

I think Obama has a mandate to fix what he can when he can, whilst ignoring the (far-right) Republican's demands altogether. He'll fix more in 2 years when the now irrelevant Republicans get chucked out for being such obstructionists at the expense of the country.

Bushranger, Nov 11, 2012 IP
  14. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    The words I used were "Hostage Taking", not blackmail. I borrowed those words from you and the Democrats, when House Republicans drew a line in the sand and said they wouldn't agree to raise the debt ceiling if x,y, and z were not met. Now the president has said he will not raise the debt ceiling, and will actually veto any legislation that does not raise taxes on a targeted 1% of Americans. How can what the Republcans did be hostage taking, if what Obama is now doing is not?

Regarding redistricting and gerrymandering, I'm glad to see you didn't dispute any of the facts I brought to bear. It would be pointless. Democrats only exist by gerrymandering in a fairly red state like Florida.

Regarding your bragging about particular aspects of Obama's win in the last election, I find it humorous that Obama didn't see a 300 seat swing in the 2010 elections towards the Republicans as a mandate to cut spending, but somehow he magically sees his reelection as a mandate to expand spending, despite the fact that Republicans retained their seats and picked up Governor's seats.

Again the gross misrepresentation of the president's position. Obama does not want EVERYONE to feel some of the pain. He wants to retain all the Bush tax cuts, except those that impact the top 1%. In essence, he wants ONLY the wealthy to pick up the tab for his spending.

Tax discrimination against a minority is bad enough, but his methodology is horrible, even according to the CBO. Rather than simplifying the tax code and eliminating all the loopholes used by the rich, he simply wants to raise marginal rates. It is a psychological thing. It is a matter of getting Americans to once again consider federal tax rates above 40% as something normal. Its obscene.

Read the CBO estimates on his budget. It doesn't come close to solving the deficit problem created by his spending.

15. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    That is what he thinks too. The problem is, you can't fix anything by ignoring 50% of the people you represent.

LoL. Always possible I suppose. What makes you think the obstructionists will get voted out in two years after they have been "obstructing" for the last two years and rewarded with reelection? My guess is, when Obama isn't on the ticket, 2014 will be another year of banner elections for Republicans, ousting more Democrats from congress, just like 2010. Maybe we can get a veto proof majority in both houses and run our own legislation. That would be nice!

16. Bushranger

Best Answers:
    The MSM. Underlying tones seems to suggest they're wiping off the Republicans as totally irrelevant. If it continues America might be looking at a whole new Party by next election.

Bushranger, Nov 11, 2012 IP
  17. Obamanation

Best Answers:
    Yah, that is what they said in 2008 too, right before losing the largest electoral loss in 80 years. Overplaying your hand is standard fare among liberals, and their toadies in the media. Sad that they never learn. Pathetic really.

18. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    The rich in the USA are using the same tactics that rich and industrialists in pre-WWII Germany used when they decided to support the Nazi party that relied on poor uneducated to take the power thinking that they can control Hitler. They have filled the Republican party with tea-party crazies thinking that they can control them. It will be interesting when hallelujah stupids will turn on them.

gworld, Nov 12, 2012 IP
  19. Corwin

Corwin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One of the surprise capabilities of cable TV is that cable providers can actually tailor content to the point where even if you and your next-door neighbor are watching the same channel, you can see different commercials. That's what Axlerod/Obama did in Michigan. Campaign commercial were targeted by county so that the poor people of Detroit saw a different Obama commercial than the wealthy people six miles away.

Man, that's impressive. Targeted manipulation on such a fine scale. President Axelrod really outdid himself.

Obama got 50.55% of the vote, while Romney got 47.86%. Since 1.6% of the vote went to other candidates, Obama's net margin of victory was a slim 1.09%. WOOHOO! A One-Percent Mandate!

Polling shows that the rich voted for Obama in overwhelming numbers. By gworld's "logic", are the Democrats the new Nazi party???

Let's see... Republicans want a smaller and weak Federal government with little corporate oversight and lax corporate regulation, right? Democrats want a strong Federal government with overbearing corporate oversight and crushing corporate regulations.

Which of these would Hitler have liked, hmmm?

C'mon, gworld, this is fun! Gimme another one!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
    Corwin, Nov 12, 2012 IP