1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Dmoz does not remove my link

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by PacificFunds.net, Nov 7, 2012.

One of my clients's website's is listed incorrectly in 3 UNRELATED category of DMOZ ,its been a year and they won't remove it !
    this SH** is ridiculous !

Google is penalizing me for it !
    any suggestion ?

ps:
    i do seo service and client wants a chargeback !

PacificFunds.net, Nov 7, 2012 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  2. sunilmamo

sunilmamo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, this is a first....you have sites listed in DMOZ and you want them removed? People are struggling to get their sites listed :D

sunilmamo, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  3. worldblackstar

worldblackstar Member

Best Answers:
    Are you kidding?

worldblackstar, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    And not just one listing, three!

Qryztufre, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  5. draxima

draxima Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can use google's "Disavow" feature within google webmaster tools to remove harmful backlinks.

But just because the links from dmoz are unrelated does not mean they are bad for you clients website.

What a mess!!

draxima, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  6. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just to put things in context:

Websites are in the public domain.
    - If we find them and think they're worth listing, we list them. This is not done as a service to website owners.
    - We don't remove listings on request.
    - We do update URLs, categories, titles and descriptions on request - provided that those requests are legitimate and in line with our editor guidelines. If they aren't we don't. If a website has been entirely repurposed, we'll re-evaluate it. Time scales for either of these cases is undefined.
    - Only if a website is too broken or no longer the sort of site that we list do we delist it.

Occasionally, I find a listing who's URL has been entirely repurposed. If somebody has clearly bought a listed domain name just for the sake of getting a listing, I don't show much mercy.

jimnoble, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  7. MarvinE

MarvinE Member

Best Answers:
    I have to agree. You need to struggle to get your site in there.

Maybe Google is penalizing you for something else. I don't believe they penalize for being in the wrong category in a directory. After all the right classification of the sites is also responsibility of the directory's administrators.

MarvinE, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  8. alamlinks

alamlinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Be careful about the category in future.

alamlinks, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    According to the guidelines, if it's suggested to the wrong category it will be rejected or removed, likewise if its suggested to multiple suggestions to different categories. So as that stands, its looking like it was never suggested at all (at least not by the owner or SEO company) rather it was found by an editor and added that way....multiple times because the editor uses a completely different rule set then the submitter (on a "do as I say, not as I do" mindset).

Qryztufre, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  10. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds to me as though Jim is right and this domain has been purchased because it was in DMOZ and then changed. But it may be that DMOZ via an editor believe it is listed in correct categories and the owner does not in which case, sorry DMOZ editors put sites where they think best.

Though one must add the usual rider that even sites which someone believes should be moved, removed or changed in location or description and uses the update button, then, whilst that is seen as a priority, no one will guarantee when an editor will volunteer to edit in that section and choose to work on updates.

Instead of bleating about what DMOZ using volunteer editors who work in their spare time are doing or not doing, Pacific Funds.net and/or their client could actually roll up their sleeves volunteer to be an editor (passing the entrance tests) and work in their spare time and help make a difference to the number of edits and updates dealt with. OR they could ask for a refund on the money they paid for the listing (LOL)

Anonymously, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  11. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah you think you are annoyed with DMOZ now, try becoming an editor.

Or one of these bleating editors could just help you out and put the listing in the right category.

Oh wait, editors only do what they want, never what anyone else wants.

One more thing, the OP can barely put together a sentence in english, lets not add insult to injury by suggesting he become an editor, as if these elitists would let him in. Seriously guys have a little respect.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
    joeventura, Nov 7, 2012 IP
  12. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So the Op comes here and makes a statement. Instantly, everyone believes him and i doubt anyone has even checked if he is fully disclosing the truth.

I love how in DP someone makes a statement and that statement turns into "a fact".....as long as its about DMOZ. I never cease to be amazed at how gullible people are:)

snooks, Nov 8, 2012 IP
  13. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ editors edit in many languages and do not need to have good English unless it is the English section they wish to edit in. I gather,J, that you discovered that this forum only allows English posting, so people who want information about DMOZ who do not speak or write English easily often struggle on here to get some answers. Pity that there are people who just want to sully the water about what answers are given.

Anonymously, Nov 8, 2012 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Never mind what J said... lets focus on what you said shall we? Lets assume the OP did become an editor, and removed three of his clients listings at the request of said client. Assuming the site was listable, how sound is the advice about him becoming an editor rather than just allowing him to complain?

Qryztufre, Nov 9, 2012 IP
  15. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Then one of the many hundreds of Editalls would see it and realise something was wrong and then correct it. New Editors are monitored so we can help them gain their editing skills, thats just commonsense.

You know well Q that EVERY editor can inspect ANY other Editors edits......New editors are assisted in all ways necessaray to improve their skills and if mistakes are made, then the experienced editor will rectify that whilst providing feedback to the new editor. If it was a case of editorial abuse rather than a mistake, then a Meta Editor would implement the appropriate course of action.

snooks, Nov 9, 2012 IP
  16. diziadvice

diziadvice Member

Best Answers:
    For this you need to contact DMOZ team and ask them to remove the link and place it in the correct category.

diziadvice, Nov 10, 2012 IP
  17. PaulSch

PaulSch Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you read anything in this thread?

PaulSch, Nov 10, 2012 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    So, what you are saying then, is that suggesting to someone like this to become an editor is a good idea? Sounds like a LOT of work on the part of those that need to keep watch to me... but what do I know *shrug*

Such dedication is certainly to be admired... to suggest to people prone to cheat and lie to become editors to make the higherups work even harder. Kudos to you & anon for such things, thats for sure!

If I was in charge, I would just let such people complain in hopes that they would not try to become editors... which is likely why my directory failed. I will take the advice from you for what it is, with all your experience, you clearly know what you are talking about.

thanks loads! To the both of you!

Qryztufre, Nov 12, 2012 IP
  19. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Q......you are just being an idiot as usual:( Twisting and turning things again......you know what i wrote and what i meant about a person improperly removing 3 sites like you stated.

Why dont you just grow up and quit the stirring? Everyone can see through your games.

snooks, Nov 12, 2012 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    and you knew what I was saying, so why is it OK for you to follow up a post of mine like you did, but some how not OK for me? Another ODP double standard maybe?

I mean, if you guys want to suggest to people that are seemingly going to cheat from the get go, that is your prerogative... but don't call me a troll for calling you out on it. Which is what is happening right now if ya have not noticed. So which is it... you want miscreants as editors so they NEED to be watched over, or dont you?

Qryztufre, Nov 14, 2012 IP