1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best directory platform for one category, worldwide?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by canuckystan, Oct 26, 2012.

Hi,

I'm starting a directory in my field with one category (a kind of professional) but it's worldwide.

I've looked at the wordpress ones (e.g., geotheme) and esyndicat and phpld, but still not sure which would be the best for this type of directory.

Ideally, I'd like a directory platform that automatically adds a location (country) if it's not already listed. For example, if I get a listing from Tazmania, it would be nice if "Tazmania" is auto added, as I likely won't have that country listed from the outset.

canuckystan, Oct 26, 2012 IP
  2. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just keep in mind that both eSyndicat and phpLD have gone to subscription models with their licenses. Meaning you have to pay every time they release a new version. Not saying that is a good or a bad thing. It's just something to keep in mind while figuring out your business plan.

YMC, Oct 27, 2012 IP
  3. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is absolutely not true about PHPLD. You can still download the latest version of our script without paying any additional money. Where you might have to pay would be for additional support after a long time. So please let's be clear about this. You do not have to pay more money to get the latest download from PHPLD.

dvduval, Oct 28, 2012 IP
  4. value_links

value_links Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Over the years, we've coded and built so many different kinds of proprietary directory platforms that we have lost track of the numbers ourselves. :)

Based on this experience, here are two options I could suggest:

1. Use one of the ready-made platforms and populate the category list with the list of countries. This way, all the submissions you receive would automatically fall under the respective countries, without you having to do anything extra.

2. Go for custom code (give me a shout if needed - our programmers would probably be able to put something together for you, gratis).

value_links, Oct 29, 2012 IP
  5. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    David is correct.

I did not buy a new version for a year or two.. I still have the ability to download..
    As he stated support is the one you have to pay every three months.. $20.00

If some one has to look at your site and spend some time.. it does cost them $20.00
    After all their employees would expect to be paid.

stock_post, Oct 29, 2012 IP
  6. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you. Even if you bought phpLD as early as 2005, you can STILL download our script's latest version. Not only that you can download additional products like Video Directory, Classified, etc. as well, so we have actually ADDED to the possible downloads possible.

As for support, there is still plenty of help you can get for free. Where we especially take exception is when people are coming to us many months later and require a lot of our time. Instead of charging more for our product we prefer to charge for the support in this instance, as many people don't need extra support and it is not fair to pass the cost on to them for those few people who need extra support.

dvduval, Oct 29, 2012 IP
  7. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I distinctly remember conversations in these forums about both scripts going to paid upgrades (software and support).

I also remember that David seemed a bit wishy washy at the time as to who would be charged. It sounds like the final decision was to only charge for support.

YMC, Oct 29, 2012 IP
  8. OSSEO

OSSEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    Php link directory awesome for Directory :)

OSSEO, Oct 30, 2012 IP
  9. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I had posted some links showing features in the new version of phpLD, but apparently the moderators did not like that. Anyways, to the point of phpLD as a wordwide directory, we have done some great things with google maps and vector maps that make it great for business listings worldwide.

dvduval, Oct 30, 2012 IP
  10. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This is absolutely true.

As of May 2011 I posted that I did not have access to download ANY versions. As of today, this fact still remains the same; I DO NOT have access to download anything.

I get a message telling me to pay $ to access the downloads!

an0n, Oct 31, 2012 IP
  11. Simon Gooffin

Simon Gooffin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi canuckystan

I'm not sure if you have chosen the solution for your website. I just wanted to clarify that esyndicat could be easily used for the worldwide directory website type - just in case anyone else has the same question;)

Simon Gooffin, Jan 13, 2013 IP
  12. dojodesign

dojodesign Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am using Wordpress for one of my directories. Hope it's Ok to link to it: http://bracesforum.org As you can see it lists orthodontists from all over the world (well, it will, once it has more and more listings). I am using the category system for the locations (countries/cities) and the tags to list the orthodotics treatments they provide (regular braces, Damon, Invisalign, Incognito etc.

Just need to put my programmer to a bit of work so that I can get a good search system in place, but other than that Wordpress does everything I need it to.

dojodesign, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  13. anxjuz86

anxjuz86 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I personally say WP based directory would be worth to go. Why? Because it has a good permalink compare to other directory platform such as PHPLD. Honestly, PHPLD script is not a friendly newbie user. Had tried it before but it was very tricky for me.

Actually, you don't need to buy any script if you wish to create a WordPress directory. You can get a DirectoryPress theme from PremiumPress.com. If you ever been with WordPress for several years, then it will not be hard for you.

anxjuz86, Jan 20, 2013 IP
  14. antonyarrak

antonyarrak Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    YMC, have you found solution? If so can you share?

antonyarrak, Mar 27, 2013 IP