1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it safe to reveal my SSN to Odesk? I'm a little worried?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by george9874, Oct 21, 2012.

I made about $550 working on Odesk. I knew they required SSN right from the start, so I knew I'd run into this dilemma. They require SSN to cash out. Is it safe to reveal my SSN over the Internet? Even if Odesk has no malicious intent, my SSN can be lost/leaked/hacked through simple carelessness. How good are they with security?

george9874, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  2. wwpmmedianetgm

wwpmmedianetgm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You should be fine. They are really secure. And you don't really have to worry about them sending you anything for taxes because you have to make at least $600 in a year before they will send you a W-2 or 1099-MISC for your tax filing.

wwpmmedianetgm, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  3. george9874

george9874 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    There's a good chance that I'll cross the $600 threshold by the time the year's over. And I highly doubt a company like oDesk would engage in criminal activity, BUT... what if someone who WORKS FOR ODESK decides to run a little side-venture selling personal information to identity thieves?

george9874, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  4. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Then you could sue oDesk for damages. oDesk is a very trust worthy company. You can submit your details on their website. Your personal information is not shared with other third party partners. Your SSN is simply needed to report earnings to IRS and send 1099 to you. There's no need to worry about identity thief.

muffet, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  5. Cinus

Cinus Peon

Best Answers:
    That's not a good choice to reveal your government entitles to public, it might lead to temporary suspension of your SSN validity.

Cinus, Oct 21, 2012 IP
  6. george9874

george9874 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I need some advice, I have to get that money out of the account. Anyone have experience? Any way around that requirement if the amount was under $600?

george9874, Jan 30, 2013 IP
  7. jmoe

jmoe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    oDesk is pretty secure, so you should have no problems.

However, if you REALLY do not want to give them your SSN, go get an EIN. I think you can still apply online and get your number immediately, but it's been a while since I got mine. If you're going to be doing a LOT of business online, an EIN is probably a good idea anyway.

jmoe, Jan 31, 2013 IP
  8. James Byun

James Byun Active Member

Best Answers:

If you were to sue odesk, thats going to be a lot of "fees" and they might just outbank you meaning, just prolong the case to where, you cant afford the court costs and litigation. Its a basic 101 move, for any big company.

But, overall this would then become a "class action case" if you can get other people as well.

James Byun, Jan 31, 2013 IP
  9. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:

Yes that's ordinary how big corporations play in court against prosecuting party but remember they (OP or anyone else suing oDesk) could demand lawyers "fees" and other unspecified damages they're actually found to be entitled for "unspecified damages" if the court (i.e. witnesses) or judge were to rule in prosecuting party's favor.

muffet, Jan 31, 2013 IP