1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why did you close my thread, move it and give me an infraction?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by mikey1090, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi DP Members

As a forum user who has made over 5000 posts in this section, it annoys me to see what a mess it has become.

Why did you close my thread?

Because someone else has made one nearly identical. Probably a week ago. You were just too lazy to read back a few pages, or worse still, search. It's no big deal that you didn't see the other guys post, but you're just giving every member around that needs their post count increasing the opportunity to write "nice post", or "yeah I agree". And then I have to take my time (although I love it ;)) to dish out infractions to them too. So i'll likely just close your thread to stop everyone writing junk in it.

Why did I get an infraction and my thread moved?

You obviously were too lazy to read the sticky at the top of the forum. Worse than that, you were so quick to make a thread that you didn't see the rather large announcements forum located within this section. Use that for announcing your directory, or requesting one. Or a list of directories.

Better still, search for directory lists before you post asking for one. It may take 20 seconds longer but you'll probably get the links you want much faster.

You gave me an infraction and I can't even see what post or thread it was for!

Your thread was utter junk, didn't deserve or need to be simply closed. It was full of junk replies from spammers. I just deleted it. I'm evil.

Any feedback or suggestions would be helpful. Any intelligent directory discussion like we used to have would be great. I see a few of you put up with the crap threads and posts (you have more willpower than me) and are still here. Its good to see you! Any of you that post good stuff around here that I'm not familiar with, my name is Mike and I used to hang around here every day when I ran directories. I've sold them all now but will probably run some more niche directories in the future. It's beneficial and was fun, but I won't go into too much detail now.

Thanks,
    Mike
    :)

mikey1090, Jul 13, 2012 IP
    iowadawg likes this.
  2. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Finally, maybe some sanity will return to the directories section!!!

YMC, Jul 13, 2012 IP
    mikey1090 likes this.
  3. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It would be great to see more attention to this forum. Absolutely!

It was so often "gang rule" around here, followed by a period of spam, followed by a period of posts that are of little value. I think people who actually care about directories were turned off over the years, so it would be good to see that there is actually an REAL EFFORT being made to get the members who offer thoughtful yet kind replies back into the forum. Without a sense of real effort over a period of time, I don't think there is much hope.

Give infractions to mean people and spammers, and then have some "community outreach" people who help to create thoughtful threads and even pm or email people that they know can help revive the forum. I truly would love to see this TLC, but again, I have my doubts this will ever happen, but hope you will prove me wrong!

Look at forums like Warrior where there is some member moderation going on (enough people who make an infraction kill the post, but moderators make sure there isn't gang rule). Or look at how SitePoint does it with Mentor's where they have a little private mentor area, and they encourage content production. Will DP do something special like this? For the third time, I have my doubts, but would love for you to do your best to make me look foolish for doubting you.

dvduval, Jul 13, 2012 IP
  4. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have read some useful things on the section but it is like all of DP you weed through piles of spam to find anything halfway useful. A lot of the problem is 99% of the posts on here have an agenda so they are basically just spam of some sort or another.

I guess someone selling directory scripts might spend some time moderating this section but they would just turn it into a huge directory script sales forum.

averyz, Jul 14, 2012 IP
  5. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    to

People with an agenda can be the best assets. They just have to be kept in check. Without an agenda, why be here?

dvduval, Jul 14, 2012 IP
  6. snakeair

snakeair Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mikey, i thought you become a moderator a long time ago, you would pay attention to the directory section to get it back to the old days but that never happened and most of the big name folks hardley ever come in this section because it's unmoderated.

Yes, we can report threads but it would be nice if 1 moderator would actually read the threads in this section and other directory section everyday like a moderator should do. A moderator shouldn't sit in the mod section and wait for threads/posts to get reported because not everyone reports threads/posts because they think a moderator actually reads new threads daily. I understand you all have personal lives and family but as a moderator myself on a webmaster forum, I don't sit on my butt in the mod section waiting for people to report threads, I manually read new threads when i'm online to catch the idiots red handed and make it known it won't be tolerated.

How about create new sticky threads and dumb it down enough for people to understand at least.

I know shawn has custom mods in place to weed out spammers and all with automatic bans but the moderators in this section if there is actually any of them who pop's in here daily, to read the threads, call out spammers and actually manually ban them for good. Not let the infraction system automatically ban someone after so many infractions. How about dish out perm. ban's and if you have to do this to a well respected member then so be it. The mods not strict enough on this forum which is huge.

I don't report that many threads anymore on here because it's useless and also hard to spot moderators in threads because most of them don't have MODERATOR in there usertitle or a different colored username.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    snakeair, Jul 15, 2012 IP
  7. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Snakeair, I rarely visit the mod section of DP. I do most of my mod work by reading threads in this section and the others that interest me and then take action when necessary. I've not been active in the forums for the past two years due to concentrating most of my time on university work. I've finished my degree now so I've a lot more time for webmaster related things, including having a browse around here a lot more.

As for banning people permanently it's not up to me. I'd probably lose my mod powers if I went and abused them. I have rules to follow too! But yeah I see your point and generally when we see a new member just writing trash everywhere they get a nice 6 month ban, usually enough to deter them from ever returning again.

I'll be keeping an eye on things around here, reading threads daily like you said. We'll see how it goes, its not something that can be fixed overnight.

Mike

mikey1090, Jul 16, 2012 IP
  8. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for your reply. I'm glad to know you will be around more. What would also be great is if we can work to increase the number of people helping to watch over the Directories section. That makes for a more permanent solution that is more fail safe, such as if you can't be around for a while. Look forward to watching things progress!

dvduval, Jul 16, 2012 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Hi Mikey, I've been lounging about in the Cook Islands for a couple of weeks so have just found this thread.

When I have time & motivation I stop by this section and S&A... But not dmoz as I'm potentially biased.

My targets are
    • directory annoncements in the wrong forum and by members with fewer than 25 posts
    • directory list requests that aren't in S&A - you'll see some with a mods note by me
    • directory suggestions made in the thread rather than by PM - to fit in with BST rules and prevent spamming by over enthusiastic forum owners

I also keep an eye out for the dumb question brigade who are running up their post count

sarahk, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    "dumb question brigade".... ;)

Now those really deserves an infraction!!!

Mia, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  11. WallaceYeung

WallaceYeung Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Welcome back here Mike!
    We need someone to refresh this directory forum honestly.

WallaceYeung, Jul 21, 2012 IP
  12. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If the drivel goes, as well as the personal link spamming, I'm sure others would return. But as of right now, it's *ugh*

an0n, Jul 22, 2012 IP
  13. Sarcastick

Sarcastick Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. I would love to see it "built" back in the direction of benefiting people.

However, time will tell.

Sarcastick, Jul 26, 2012 IP
  14. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Mikey1090: Does the moderation include the S&A forum as well. Cos this thread has 10 spam/nonsense posts by the same person one after the other... and that sort of thing happens A LOT. That and people reviving literally 7 year old threads that are meaningless.

If you are willing to tackle the spam head on, I'm sure there are those of us who will be willing to write proper articles for the forum instead of just lurking and correcting the endless misinformation that is allowed to propagate via the spammers.

silencer, Jul 29, 2012 IP
  15. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    The thread revival could be stopped by simply auto closing threads after x amount of time.. 1 year should suffice.

Mia, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We could certainly do that. I have a more arbitrary measure over at Link Exchanges where I sort by date order (and bumped threads sit higher) and close anything after page 50. That takes it about 6 months. Directories could easily do page 100. Feedback on that?

sarahk, Jul 30, 2012 IP
  17. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Sarah, almost every other forum I am on or mange does something similar. It really cuts down on the clutter! It's not going to eliminate it, but it will knock it down.

Mia, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  18. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Yup - and with the bumping thingymajig active directory owners can keep their threads in the first 100 pages.

Mikey - do you want to do it or shall I?

sarahk, Aug 1, 2012 IP
  19. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Can we assume silence is an answer?

dvduval, Oct 8, 2012 IP
  20. sophiec016

sophiec016 Peon

Best Answers:
    Because someone else has made one nearly identical. Probably a week ago. You were just too lazy to read back a few pages, or worse still, search. It's no big deal that you didn't see the other guys post, but you're just giving every member around that needs their post count increasing the opportunity to write "nice post", or "yeah I agree". And then I have to take my time to dish out infractions to them too. So i'll likely just close your thread to stop everyone writing junk in it.

sophiec016, Oct 10, 2012 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.