1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I have started my exciting affair with joomla

Discussion in 'Joomla' started by richardm55, Sep 29, 2012.

I built fist website about photography http://black2colour.weebly.com this Spring using weebly's website editor. I was not happy with its limitation and I was looking for better platform for creating my own website. First I wanted to do from scratch with html and css coding but I realized it was so much time consuming so I had to find something else. As a result I have met CMS programs: joomla and WordPress. I have read about both of them and finally I have decided for joomla.

I had XAMPP installed already in version 2.5. I run php and mysq on it. Then I have downloaded a couple of versions of joomla: 2.5.6 and newest 3.0.0. I have decided to installed the previous version 2.5.6 because I am not sure if new version will have enough themes and templates to use.

Starting to configure the joomla in section Configuring database I have chosen name of database: joomla25 ( the same as folder name I put joomla installation)
    After I accepting I got the message "Unable to connect to the Database: Could not connect to MySQL".

I don't know what I have done wrong. Maybe I used wrong name for my database or something else. I can not get through further configuration setting now.

richardm55, Sep 29, 2012 IP
  2. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Before anyone has tried to help I have sort it out myself. I have not put in correct password for connection with the Database. Finally I got through whole joomla installation. I have stated basic details for my new website. What I need now is to learn to use the administration panel. I will keep you posted how I can cope with creating my website with joomla.

3. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    you should go with wordpress, since it has more users, so more support, tutorials, modules.. Because honestly if you take something else than wordpress then take drupal, not joomla.. incredible..

JamesColin, Sep 29, 2012 IP
  4. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to go with this CMS program which is functionally richer. Joomla exits much longer than WordPress so I think it is more developed. WordPress has more users because it is propably easier to use. I have no problem with it because I have good background in html and css coding. And probably joomla has much more themes and templates than WordPress.

5. JamesColin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    joomla doesn't exist much longer than wordpress, where did you get this false assumption?
    I think you are totally mistaken, including your opinion about themes and templates (which are synonyms) maybe you meant templates and modules/add-ons but here too you're wrong.

I don't know where you did your research between the two, but the results are wrong, sorry to tell it like it is. I'm not being aggressive, just surprised by the wrong assumptions.

Honestly, ask anyone who knows, they'll tell you the same as me.

6. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are right. I'm sorry for misleading information. WorPress was introduced in 2003 and Joomla in 2005 so WordPress is older. I am not conviced which is really better and I am going to try both myself. But I will start with joomla first.

7. JamesColin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Drupal dates back from 2001 so he's the winner :)
    No, it's not only about the age, in fact I remember quite well when joomla started out of a problem in the mambo community, at the time I was already using Drupal but was looking at other options, because Drupal wasn't user or even webmaster friendly.. At that time wordpress was all about blog and that's not what I wanted, I wanted a platform to make sites.
    Now those boys are grown up and you can make websites with wordpress too, blogs with drupal and joomla..
    But I like Drupal, it is now much easier to use, not as fancy as the others in terms of templates available and far from being as popular with beginners as wordpress and joomla are. But it is very powerful, much more than I can use. It has never failed me over the years, and there are lots of free modules you can use to do just about anything you'd want.

But yes, joomla is good too, you will enjoy it, but not for the reasons you gave. If you had to make a choice based on popularity and investing time to acquire knowledge of something you can sell to customers, then you'd go for wordpress. But if it's just to make your own websites, then any of the three would be good, but to not find any limitation down the road, then you should choose Drupal.

8. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your nice and very valuable comment explaining main differences between those most popular CMS programs. I really know nothing about Drupal at all. Does it work like other two joomla and wordpress in php and mysql environment?

9. bizbroker24com

bizbroker24com Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Congratulation for the great work!

Regards,
    BizBroker24

bizbroker24com, Sep 29, 2012 IP
  10. JamesColin

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yes Drupal is based on php / mysql too. Although it can be run on other databases, who use the other options at our little level? :)

But I don't want to divert you from enjoying your learning experience with joomla, I'm sure you made the right decision and that's a learning tool also, it will always be time to switch to wordpress or drupal if you feel the need one day, but maybe you'll never feel the need. Joomla is also fine, on packt awards for instance the winning podium in php cms was always taken by those three.

11. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your nice comment. I think you meant my first photographic website. I have not built any website in any CMS problems yet. I have just been learning one of them, joomla now.

richardm55, Sep 30, 2012 IP
  12. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you James (hope it is your real name) for your information and your nice words. Yes, you are right. I want to test at least two of them, first joomla and then maybe wordpress.

richardm55, Sep 30, 2012 IP
  13. ukfish1

ukfish1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    my vote goes to joomla

P

ukfish1, Oct 5, 2012 IP
  14. langgiaitri

langgiaitri Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with you

langgiaitri, Oct 5, 2012 IP
  15. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your comments. I am convinced more and more that I made good choice with joomla. I have some serious complains from my friends about wordpress.

richardm55, Oct 7, 2012 IP
  16. richardm55

richardm55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have built all categories and I will build menu in 2 languages. I am wondering whether categories names are just name of pages and sub-pages of website?

richardm55, Nov 10, 2012 IP