1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Which program do you use for HTML? Notepad++ vs?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by formicin, Sep 12, 2012.

I'm using Notepad++ but heard that Dreamweaver is also good. Which one do you suggest?

formicin, Sep 12, 2012 IP
  2. amko_sa

amko_sa Peon

Best Answers:
    I use RJ Texted.

amko_sa, Sep 12, 2012 IP
  3. danramosd

danramosd Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's all personal preference. I've dabbled with a lot of IDEs over the years and here's my run down:
    Dreamweaver - Good for the n00bs and novice but definitely not an experienced developers tool of choice.
    Eclipse - Lots of features and great at managing projects. I see it more for Java developers but it is EXTREMELY memory expensive
    Notepad ++ - Clean, simple, get the job done pretty well but not too visually appealing
    Komodo - Great feature set, a little slow but not too terrible, not a huge fan of the UI
    Sublime Text 2 - By far my favorite IDE. Fast, lightweight, fully customizable, easy to install plugins, and tons of theming options. Project management could be a little better though

There's a ton of other IDE's out there like vim, emacs, coda, textmate and more but these are typically for the os x / unix OSes. Hope this helps!

danramosd, Sep 12, 2012 IP
  4. Web Solutions

Web Solutions Peon

Best Answers:
    I used to be a Notepad++ fan, but recently switched to Sublime Text and not going back.

Web Solutions, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  5. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sorry, but that's complete BS

Dreamweaver IS NOT good for the n00b. It is the most idiotic thing one can use if you have absolutely no idea of what you are doing. Why? Well, because a n00b typically has NO IDEA what he is doing. I saw so many guys pumping out horrible sites with DW and they thought of themselves that they were professionals. These sites didn't even have a doctype, missing the <head> section, didn't close any tags, cluttering <br /> tags for spacing, <p> tags without any content, comments that had no purpose whatsoever, Inline and deprecated CSS.... Outright horrendous.

Dreamweaver is a tool for professionals, but even pros don't like it that much. Besides, it costs around $400

Well, back to topic.

I use Notepad++ but I am also a fan of NetBeans. The version without Java is damn fine and comes with many nifty features. It isn't as complicated as Eclipse and not so resource heavy.

GMF, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  6. QBugs

QBugs Peon

Best Answers:
    I usually use Zend Studio 8

QBugs, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  7. lolpasslol

lolpasslol Peon

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver and aptana studio,
    but my preference is dreamweaver.

lolpasslol, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  8. danramosd

danramosd Active Member

Best Answers:
    First of all when you create a new HTML page within dreamweaver it contains a doctype. So this is not a shortcoming of the software, but a lack of knowledge on the developers part to remove it from the markup. The software/IDE also generates a <head> section for you along with the rest of the boilerplate HTML code needed to start a fully valid HTML document.

You can look at Dreamweaver in two ways, as a whole software package, or strictly as an IDE (using just the developer mode). As a software package it's a good choice for any noob and novice developer because of the easy to use GUI. Does this mean that Dreamweaver writes the best markup, styles and JS out there? Absolutely not! But when you have no idea what you're doing, and this software allows you to point and click, THEN see what code is created, it's a great tool for learning.

If you work strictly in developer mode the IDE offers some decent autocomplete functionality, code hinting, and formatting.

While some "professionals" you know might use Dreamweaver, it seems to be an absolute overkill for anyone who really knows what they're doing. Real professionals don't need the assistance of a GUI to write their markup, styles and JS for them.

As you can see I'm not for, or against DW. The program has it's pro and cons, it really just depends on your level of expertise and personal preference at the end of the day.

danramosd, Sep 13, 2012 IP
    GMF likes this.
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is a a steaming pile of crap that much like HTML 5, jquery, grids, and a whole host of other idiotic rubbish that's 'accepted practice' in the industry, I cannot fathom how anyone is DUMB ENOUGH to see merit in it. Nube predation at it's worst.

-----------------------------------------------------------

As to the editor I use, that would be Flo's Notepad2.
    http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

It's Scintilla based so it's got the normal features and a few unique ones -- for example I love how you can set it up to show marks for word-wrap and make word-wrap indents line up, and the ability to have a long-line 'guide'. (that defaults to a sensible 72 columns), indentation guides, and separate 'tabify' to not just hit all multi-space, but also just leading ones.

But it's more about what I can turn off in it or just aren't there... I stayed with Crimson Editor despite it's piss poor handling of character encodings for a LONG time just because it lacked or could turn off the annoying bits. The rubbish that other people seem to find useful but for me just gets in the blasted way -- idiocy like color syntax highlighting (illegible acid trip - how in blazes are you supposed to read anything when the colors keep changing?!?), tabbed editing (shoe-horning everything into one window is idiotic when you have a multi-display development workstation), autocomplete (which I usually end up spending more time correcting than I do having it 'help' me), toolbars (Just suck down screen space for crap I do with the keyboard or menus anyways) -- just to name a few.

deathshadow, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  10. dollarfish

dollarfish Member

Best Answers:
    Notepad++ and Chrome is enough for what development

dollarfish, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  11. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nube predation at it's worst. :rolleyes:

ApocalypseXL, Sep 14, 2012 IP
  12. rosesmark

rosesmark Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver taking time while loading so, I would you guys that use Notepad++..I think it is very lite and friendly also.

rosesmark, Sep 14, 2012 IP
  13. HBz

HBz Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey, that's a trip down memory lane. I used to be a big Crimson Editor user, and now I use NP++. I actually like tabs - and I think I can open two windows if I want to. I'm also a fan of the syntax highlighting. It helps to separate the tags from the content. Not too distracting, and if done right, a nice visual aid.

One thing I don't like about NP++ is the default comment syntax is not monospaced font, and it's bolded.

HBz, Sep 15, 2012 IP
  14. Jeff Bee

Jeff Bee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I use Komodo Edit and it seems to get the job done well for me.

Jeff Bee, Sep 15, 2012 IP
  15. xuled

xuled Banned

Best Answers:
    If you prefer to design in design mode with smart tools then you should use dreamweaver. Otherwise if you are a programmer then it will be preferable for you to use notepad++

xuled, Sep 15, 2012 IP
  16. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    ... have no business building websites and are making nothing but inaccessible train wrecks of bad code, bad design, and accessibility rubbish.

There, fixed!

deathshadow, Sep 15, 2012 IP
  17. neroux

neroux Active Member

Best Answers:
    neroux, Sep 15, 2012 IP
  18. Rankx

Rankx Active Member

Best Answers:
    For me I use notepad++ once I am working locally. It loads much faster than Dreamweaver and since I do not use the design view in dreamweaver anyway, my preference is notepad++. I use dreamweaver when I need to edit files via FTP and also in the rare moments where I need to use an area map. You can't really do an area map without a visual.

Rankx, Sep 16, 2012 IP
  19. scriptjerk

scriptjerk Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used gedit. All i need is a little syntax color highlighting and im good. Making it the default editor in filezilla for remote sites makes it real simple work with as it auto uploads any file back after i save. I also use gedit for localhost sites.

scriptjerk, Sep 16, 2012 IP
  20. aveh091112

aveh091112 Peon

Best Answers:
    notepad++ s good..

aveh091112, Sep 16, 2012 IP