1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ - still no approval?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Powka, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I apologise if I was not clear, I meant that DMOZ does not inform you if your site has been rejected, it just does not happen, I have rejected hundreds perhaps thousands and never informed a person who has suggested the site. But as Jim says, please post the one you are talking about here to show us what was said to you, because if the editor is saying the same to you and another friend it will be worth seeing what the same rejection notice of a SITE, was referring to

Anonymously, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  2. jnnat

jnnat Peon

Best Answers:
    i think that you can not register your link twice >> that is why DMOZ refused the website to be submitted

jnnat, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  3. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really? Ya Think?

Do you not know how ODP works? One chance to get listed, then your site is DEAD

joeventura, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  4. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Submitting a site more than once is against the guidelines that the person agreed to at the point of submitting it for consideration. Submitting more than once overwrites the date stamp and looks like a new suggestion, but submitting to more than one category means the site has to be deleted by an editor, that is recorded on the site application and DMOZ reserves the right to ban a site that seeks to spam the directory. Guidelines are clear that submitting more than once or to more than one category is not allowed, but two submissions may delay the possibility of a review but it is highly unlikely to get a site banned.

Anonymously, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  5. joeventura

Best Answers:

Your reply contradicts super editor Jim Nobel who says don't submit a second time or it will be considered spam and banned.

Which is it? Do you get a second bite at the Apple? A yes or no answer would be appreciated.

joeventura, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  6. going2oahu

going2oahu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't necessarily mean you were declined. All of my sites are now on DMOZ but it took 3 months for the quickest one and a year and a half for the longest one to get listed. just submit the site and walk away.

going2oahu, Sep 8, 2012 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Was that statement of Jim's that you refer to in the post I have attached below?
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2382081&page=2#post17289233

If not then can you quote me the post you refer to so that we can discuss the statements in context.

Anonymously, Sep 9, 2012 IP
  8. joeventura

Best Answers:
    Sure let's do that:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2532674

The post reads:
    Repeat listing suggestions are forbidden by our T&C which I'm sure you read carefully each time. They also require that a website be suggested to just one best category. You've run the risk of being marked as a spammer - and we treat spammers the same way that you treat spammers.

My translation:

Forbidden
    adjective:
    not allowed; prohibited:

Now I have provided you the dictionary definition of the word, now you provide the ODP/DMOZ get my butt out of a pickle definition.

Here is the DMOZ/ODP quote from their T&C:

Disguising your submission and submitting the same URL more than once is not permitted.

What is your definition of not permitted?

So here I have proved with direct evidence of a high ranking editors comments and a copy of the ODP/DMOZ Terms and Conditions that the site does not allow and forbids a URL being submitted more than once which underlines my claim that you get one chance to submit, should you buy a domain where it was submitted prior to your ownership, you are out of luck, if you submitted it in 1987 then 5 years later spent 4 million making it the best site on the planet you are also out of luck. Which thus proves the lack of a quality evaluation of a website after it has been submitted once.
    Thus in my opinion proves that DMOZ is of little value if it has no ability to judge a site based on its GROWTH and only goes by a silly rule of allowing a website one opportunity ever in its life to be submitted to the directory.

Now let's discuss your definition of the words "not permitted" and "Forbidden"

<starts the dance music>

joeventura, Sep 9, 2012 IP
  9. Linerider

Linerider Member

Best Answers:
    Linerider, Sep 9, 2012 IP
  10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Jim points out that more than one submission is not allowed under the T&C's and also points out that we are permitted to ban sites which spam the directory, but can you just carefully point out where Jim actually says that two submissions (your words) will be treated as spam and deleted and banned. I don't see that in the post I offered or in the one you offered. I do see Jim commenting on repeat submissions and I and don't believe he or anyone would understand repeat to be two submissions. But we do always point out that more than one submission can make it longer for a review because it overrides the date stamp when suggested to the same category and repeat suggestions to numerous categories will be recorded as they are deleted and at some point an editor will ban the site for spamming the directory. So we ask for people's co-operation and not risk spamming, or having their datestamp overwritten and for what purpose? If the site is listable it will be listed at some point, and several submissions may hinder that or even get a good site banned it certainly will not speed up the process. Those who suggest sites are also asked if they have read the T&C's which clearly point all this out. So suggesting a site more than once is a very bad idea, not just because it can waste editor time, but because it can be detrimental to the site being listed, which I presume is why site owners bother to suggest their site. Please stop trying to confuse people with this nonsense posting.

Anonymously, Sep 9, 2012 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.