1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do web directories work?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by qwikad.com, May 26, 2012.

1. safdar_78

safdar_78 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Now, question is that how can we check the quality of a web directory and how can analyzed that its banned by Google or not.?

safdar_78, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  2. sivric.marijan

sivric.marijan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure but I think they are useless...we have Google! :)

sivric.marijan, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  3. safdar_78

safdar_78 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Do you have any blogs post or article or Google news regarding this? If yes...please share

Thanks

safdar_78, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  4. winnerdomains

winnerdomains Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google directory and you will get 3,320,000,000 results... sooo.. dont know where you get your info from

winnerdomains, Sep 9, 2012 IP
  5. dataguru

dataguru Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are various websites how can provide you directory links like directory critics !!!!!!!

dataguru, Sep 10, 2012 IP
  6. Soumyananda

Soumyananda Member

Best Answers:
    I think they also depend on the site rank. If site rank is good, then it works.

Soumyananda, Sep 10, 2012 IP
  7. xantatechindia

xantatechindia Peon

Best Answers:
    web directories are effected search engine ranking but it's depends on page rank, out no. of bound links of particular directories site and pages.

xantatechindia, Sep 10, 2012 IP
  8. Mr_Kumar

Mr_Kumar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    A Questions in answer to your Questions: Why google give importance to DMOZ, Yahoo and other several dirs? Even many times google show snippet in their pages from Dmoz description, why?
    Answer is simple: Directories are valuable database websites (at least quality websites are).

I (being SEO) visit Dmoz and Yahoo directories several times (besides submissions) for gathering information. Most common type of information is getting an idea of right title and description for webpages.

Besides this, there are several people in the world who actually visit directories for some or the other purpose. See it yourself at http://www.whenweseo.com/web_directories/top_traffic_directories.jsp [check the traffic ranks].

Mr_Kumar, Sep 10, 2012 IP
  9. scholarsjunction

scholarsjunction Member

Best Answers:
    Web directories work good because google like one-way links. Its also depend on you which directory you are targeting whether you are submitting you site in good directory or not. Must check its pr and other backlinks of that directory, and always submit your site in best category according to your niche.

scholarsjunction, Sep 10, 2012 IP
  10. darrenrm

darrenrm Peon

Best Answers:
    Directory submissions should be part of your strategy, not the primary means of promotion. Content is my number 1 priority, followed by on-site SEO (internal linking, bolded-up font, keyword consistency, h1 tag, h2 tag, alt tag etc) and also high quality blog commenting. People who rely solely on directory submissions always flinch a little when Google update their algorithm, and indeed some of us have been slapped by Panda and Penguin even though we've followed best practice guidelines.

Directories may boost your PR, but it won't account for high quality traffic long term.

darrenrm, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  11. wyfytangsh

wyfytangsh Peon

Best Answers:
    Its depend on the directory it self, if it has good quality than it will work. its work ,i think

wyfytangsh, Sep 13, 2012 IP
  12. greentek

greentek Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes guys Web Directory is really work.

greentek, Sep 17, 2012 IP
  13. Anthony84

Anthony84 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am of the opinion that they are only useful for the link and how the search engine sees the authority of the directory. I don't think that people actually use directories to search for a website, I feel that only use is the power of the link to your site

Anthony84, Sep 18, 2012 IP
  14. johnd5

johnd5 Peon

Best Answers:
    Web directories are really helpful when it comes to SEO. What do you need is non duplicate contents.

johnd5, Sep 20, 2012 IP
  15. Tractify

Tractify Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Web directories are important marketing techniques for on-line business and if you are not providing website with unique concept or major technology then one way or other you need to promote business in virtual world using web directories. Web directories are common method to get one-way links to your website. To know its importance you must first see how it works.

Basically web directory is one kind of website with the main aim to gather businesses and organizations. Links appeared inside nested categories and sub-categories and visitors can find website easily through navigating those structured list.(I've never done before as Google provides everything we need). Another thing is that website added to directory will be counted as a back-link and now a days this is the main purpose of using directories.

The work flow of directory is as:
    • Suggest URL to directory by making request.
    • Editors will analyze and check the website against their criteria. (Most directories now a days approving links after editor evaluation to avoid bots)
    • Once URL analyzed and pass through criteria then listed on directory and one back-link created (Once thing I noticed here that 80% of directories are saying due to large volume of submission approval will take 3-4 months. It inspired me to create a directory as I also wants to check is that a case for each directory) This is a very time consuming activity and it influences on the period of time website owners have to wait until they see their site accepted to the web directory.
    Despite of it is time consuming, there are many directories exists only to spread Spam, etc... web directories are a useful tool to use in order to increase the rank of your website with search engines and to advertise your services.

Tractify, Mar 10, 2014 IP
  16. Real Local Pages

Real Local Pages Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Time consuming, yes of course because you need to enter all the details and choose the right category for listing. But web directories are very effective tools especially for those businesses that do not have online exposure. These businesses receive traffic even from the virtual world, which otherwise, is impossible to have without a website. For instance, there are a number of online yellow pages like Real Local Pages, which give exposure even to the offline businesses. Small businesses, which do not have the ability to spend on promotion, should really think of using web directories.

Real Local Pages, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  17. Rober Ramsay

Rober Ramsay Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    if you use local directory then its best, or if you use Spam & same ip then not good

Rober Ramsay, Mar 11, 2014 IP
  18. neamsha

neamsha Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I agree that you are 100% correct, no one is using web directories, only few % of peoples were using to submitting their websites, apart from this no one is using. but how some directories having page rank ? what is the benefit to run such kind of directories ?

neamsha, Mar 14, 2014 IP
  19. jameswalker

jameswalker Active Member

Best Answers:
    They help get your PR up and give you some traffic. Look for directories with high PR Ranks.

jameswalker, Mar 19, 2014 IP
  20. Floralys

Floralys Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    From my point of view, the quality of a web directory is not measurable in PR. There are tons of directories advertising themselves as "since 1999", but they'll filled with spam. I'm 100% positive Google don't give any credit to those. Hence, if you check out a crowded category, it's filled with "Cheap loan, best", 10-15 listings all with the same title of "best seo company" etc.

Look for editorial discretion. If a directory has objectively reviewed listings, manually added resources, a strict suggestion guideline page... than probably worth investing up to $50 to have your site reviewed. Don't take that payment as a guarantee of acceptance and contact them before suggesting your website if they are going to refund you if they don't accept your website.

Floralys, Mar 25, 2014 IP