1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Editor in a directory you have also submitted a site for.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ronniep, Aug 30, 2012.

My questions are in regards to becoming an editor. I recently applied, but was turned down. I also own a website that I have submitted for that same particular area. I understand that there are many people out there that apply only to list their site, but this is not at all the case. I applied for an area that I feel I have a great amount of experience in and feel I could be a great asset. Of course I want to have my site listed, but I am always willing to help out people within my field of expertise and that includes help with their websites even when they could be seen as a competitor. I was not in any way deceptive when I applied to become and editor and wonder if there is anyone that I could speak with regarding this particular scenario?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    -Ronnie

ronniep, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The reviewer comments (complete with typo) at the bottom of our email of 2012-08-24 told you exactly why your application was declined and what you can do next. I suggest that you read them.

jimnoble, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  3. ronniep

ronniep Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for replying Jim. Please do not take this as me being rude, but the email does not say "exactly why my application was declined". It was a generic form email with reasons why it might have been declined. Once again please do not take this as me being rude. I am not at all trying to be. I am only trying to get more information.

Email
    ==============
    Thank you for your interest in becoming an Open Directory Project editor.
    After careful review, we have decided not to approve your application at
    this time. The most common reasons a reviewer will deny a new application
    include, but are not limited to,

ronniep, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Our records show that these reviewer comments were added just below the list of common reasons for declining an application.

jimnoble, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  5. ronniep

ronniep Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you Jim

ronniep, Aug 30, 2012 IP
  6. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes go do those 3 Root URL examples.

Then hold your breath because you won't get approved.

Which is good for you because your site listed on DMOZ is actually now bad for your site.

joeventura, Aug 31, 2012 IP
  7. ronniep

ronniep Peon

Best Answers:
    To be totally honest I no longer care. I have shown a sincere willingness to help out. If I am not wanted I am not going to beg.

ronniep, Aug 31, 2012 IP
  8. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Whos asking you to beg? The meta who did the review knocked you back because the sites obviously didnt fit the category. He/She has explained why they didnt fit, they also said use the root url meaning no deeplinks......they have helped you so where does making you beg come into it? You obviously would have been accepted had you picked the right sites, so simply select 3 more.....but if you dont care anymore, well you couldnt have cared much in the first place.

snooks, Aug 31, 2012 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  9. ronniep

ronniep Peon

Best Answers:
    1. I used no deep links.
    2. The sites did fit the category.
    3. He/She has not explained why. I was emailed a generic form letter with explanations that "might" be the reason it was not accepted.

Please do not start a debate. I have said my peace and hope you have as well..

ronniep, Aug 31, 2012 IP
  10. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is like a 1 in 1000 chance they approve you. Why bother?
    They don't need more editors, how many do you need to ignore submissions? The 8 they have now are plenty!!

joeventura, Aug 31, 2012 IP
  11. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What??? You arent adult enough to have a debate or discussion? As you wish, i will refrain from commenting further.

snooks, Aug 31, 2012 IP