1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ - still no approval?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Powka, Aug 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hey there,

Does anybody know if DMOZ is still being updated? I've submitted my website twice I think, and I didn't hear anything from them for over 3 months now. The website is not bad, PR4 with unique and clean content, zero advertisement. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be accepted.

Any thoughts?

Powka, Aug 26, 2012 IP
  2. websguy

websguy Member

Best Answers:
    You spammed with dmoz by submitting twice your website in dmoz. Dmoz editors are highly qualified they select website which comprises on guidelines.

websguy, Aug 26, 2012 IP
  3. Powka

Powka Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I didn't necessarily SPAM, because I submitted it the second time after 3 months. So it's only natural that if I didn't get any response in that kind of long time, I've tried again...

Powka, Aug 26, 2012 IP
  4. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Theres a million reasons why it wouldn't be accepted.

You need to understand the DMOZ is run by volunteer editors, who are under no obligation to list your website.

Taking a guess, since you didn't post this thread you began in the right forum, you probably submitted to the wrong category.

OR

Like this thread exists already multiple times in the DMOZ forum (i.e. people asking why they weren't accepted), perhaps your sites content also offers something that already exists in DMOZ and they don't need it.

There's 2 very good reasons for you straight off the bat ;)

P.S. whether your site is accepted, listed, or not the editors don't necessarily communicate with you. It's almost certain that no editor bothers to communicate at all with a site they reject. They CAN contact you when they list you (I know this from personal experience), but that would be down to the individual editor themselves and is not a policy.

silencer, Aug 26, 2012 IP
  5. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes

1 Did you bother reading the sticky or any other posts on here that tell you a multiple numbers of times that it can take from a few days to a FEW YEARS for a site to be reviewed for a possible listing?

Obviously not

2. Did you bother to read the submissions guidelines that you agreed to when you suggested your site, you know the ones that include
    http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

Obviously not.

Anonymously, Aug 27, 2012 IP
  6. clarie.texas

clarie.texas Peon

Best Answers:
    i think it will take at least 6 month when you do unpaid linking... Because Dmoz prefer paid linking... in fact every high pr directory prefer paid linking to them......

clarie.texas, Sep 2, 2012 IP
  7. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is a free directory, anyone even offering to pay an editor for a listing will be bared.

Anonymously, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  8. steven brooke

steven brooke Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Last night, i added my site to Dmoz with fully detailed information as their editors have asked in their form but today i got an email that we can't add your site :( . I assure that my site was on right category and was according to their rules and regulations but what can i do. I don't know how i couldn't be listed.

steven brooke, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  9. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Editors rarely write to folks who suggest that websites be listed and particularly not if the website is completely unlistable. Perhaps you could paste the email's text here.

jimnoble, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  10. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Interesting first post in Digital Point to say something about DMOZ that really just does not happen!

Anonymously, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  11. thantaihnvn

thantaihnvn Peon

Best Answers:
    I same Powka, my site don't accept in the DMOZ. I'm trying to my site appear

thantaihnvn, Sep 4, 2012 IP
  12. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Please read around before posting.
    1. It can take from a few DAYS to a few YEARS for a site to be reviewed for a possible listing, so IF it is guideline compliant it will still be waiting a review.
    2. Don't suggest it again, that can make it take longer to be listed and enough repeats means it will be treated as spam.

Anonymously, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  13. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It was half past dead long back..
    For all practical reasons please consider it dead and not worry about it.

stock_post, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  14. raja24

raja24 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes absolutely agreed. One year back i was submitted one website with free link options. till now am not getting approved. One month before i was submitted one link with paid option this link was approved. Now Dmoz will give more important for paid links only.

raja24, Sep 5, 2012 IP
  15. na09

na09 Member

Best Answers:
    I have some submitted websites since few years and there is nothing. Not a single mail for being rejected or approved. I think DMOZ is dying

na09, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    What nonsense!

I am an editor and I have no idea if any links are paid on the site and certainly anyone attempting to pay for a listing will be bared.

Editors consider if the site is unique, and when will you listen that a site can be listed in a few days or can take a few years. Depends on when an editor volunteers to work in that section and use the suggestions pool. Editors will often work an area and not look at the suggestions pool, there is no compulsion for them to do so. That is why it can be a brief or a long wait for a review. If sites which do meet our guidelines are rejected at review that would be a breach of trust by the editor and is subject to discipline.

=na09
    I ahve now listed over thousands of sites over a 10 year period of editing and I have NEVER EVER sent out an email saying that a site was accepted and I have rejected thousands and certainly never sent an email on that. Editors are discouraged from communicating with people who suggest sites. Sites are suggested as SUGGESTIONS and then it is as and when we get around to reviewing a site. You received confirmation that your site had been received, that's all you will get, that's all you ever got, that's all you will get in the future. Volunteer editors work on DMOZ as a hobby, the object is not to add value to any listed site but to build a directory for anyone who wants to use categorised data for search the net.

If you want to know if your site is listed take off the www and add it to DMOZ search, IF it is guideline compliant and not listed then it waits for an editor to review it, and whilst I am at it you complain about how long and not receiving emails are you willing to give up your free time to work on the project?, if it is not guideline compliant it will have been or will be rejected WHEN an editor volunteers to edit that section.

Anonymously, Sep 6, 2012 IP
  17. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's right, all their clothes will be taken off! Then they will be barred as soon as they are bared!

That will teach'em!!

joeventura, Sep 7, 2012 IP
  18. steven brooke

steven brooke Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I had spent most of my time in searching my best category that suits with my site's niche and you are telling me that it really just does not happen? DMoz didn't tell me the exact mistake that i had done. It had sent me the same email that had come in stewart's (my friend) account when he tried to submit his site there. You will be an editor of DMoz but i think you tell the true things with some false editing too.

steven brooke, Sep 7, 2012 IP
  19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @steven brooke:

As I asked a few days ago, please post a copy of the email declining to list your website.

Could it be that you actually applied to become an editor and were declined? (If you did, it wasn't under that name.)

jimnoble, Sep 8, 2012 IP
  20. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ DO NOT send emails saying they dont accept the site. The fact that emails are not sent out is one of the major complaints in this very forum.

snooks, Sep 8, 2012 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.