1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Difference between SQL and Oracle?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by techendeavour, May 30, 2011.

1. sufalamtech

sufalamtech Peon

Best Answers:
    Oracle is best to develop solution with the help of ERP products.

sufalamtech, Jul 2, 2012 IP
  2. freelancerIT

freelancerIT Peon

Best Answers:
    MySQL has fewer queries, this making it simpler. But the hard job is making complex queries combining the basic ones. Oracle is a bit harder but has his queries and functions which helps a lot. The question is how you want to use them. the best is to learn how to use them both, but MySQL is free and Oracle is not.

freelancerIT, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  3. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The only appropriate response to that has to be "nonsense". All SQL databases have the full CRUD.
    Only if you don't understand SQL. Complex 10,000 line queries aren't hard, they just take a lot of time to write and debug.
    All databases have queries and functions, and anything that Oracle has can be duplicated in any programming language.
    The best is to learn SQL, then to learn the dialect used by the database you're going to use. In the real world, the person writing the code doesn't get to decide which database is going to be used.

Rukbat, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  4. ashley_wilson

ashley_wilson Peon

Best Answers:
    Oracle is an object relational database management system, which allows objects to be stored in tables, in a manner similar to numbers and words being stored in an RDBMS system
    The only interface available between end users and an RDBMS is Structured Query Language (SQL). All other applications and tools that users utilize to interact with the RDBMS act as translators/interpreters. These tools generate SQL commands based on a user's request and pass the generated SQL commands on to the RDBMS.

ashley_wilson, Jul 26, 2012 IP
  5. akhilesh kanodia

akhilesh kanodia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    hello
    sql - Structured Query Language Oracle - It is a one type of DBMS software SQL
    in sql we can insert/delete/update by give commend. but oracle provide [FONT=arial, sans-serif]graphical[/FONT] user inter face so we can insert/delete/update data [FONT=arial, sans-serif]directly, and oracle have many other query like trigger, function, view that can apply on data base when [/FONT]insert/delete/update.we can made a full project in oracle without using any language. oracle is more [FONT=arial, sans-serif]secure then sql.[/FONT]

akhilesh kanodia, Aug 14, 2012 IP
  6. Dynamo_M

Dynamo_M Guest

Best Answers:
    SQL can refer to many things ranging from domain specific languages to the name of a product. I am not sure why people are saying one or the other DB are secure, their all secure, you have the freedom to apply roles and rules on them, if your DB is compromised it is very unlikely to do with the DB you are using.

I am going to be :smug: and say use any DB with Entity framework, doesnt matter what you are using either, Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server, same rules will apply.

For me I use SQL Server (and SQLite for embedded work) simply because I am use to T-SQL and like the role management and have been using SQL Server since 2003, SQL Server and Oracle are sadly (and stupidly) are compared and the only thing I think is the main difference is, SQL Server developers / admins are cheaper to hire than Oracle ones but that ofc isnt why I remain with SQL Server.

Honestly both are as good as each other, its like comparing C# to Java, you can find arguments from both sides. Sadly all the comparison threads and articles are outdated and most really go back to SQL Server 2000.

Dynamo_M, Aug 14, 2012 IP
  7. ronitmathurseo

ronitmathurseo Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Techendeavou, I got confused because you just mention SQL. Here I want to tell you that SQL is just a language for Database. Many company provide various service for SQL. MS,Oracle, IBM are the bigger in market. All have different qualities. MS SQL is generally used for website and some window base application while Oracle have widest functionality in all the database vendor. It is World's biggest company in software which provide database.Oracle have more functionality than other database and it is easy. but first of all you should learn SQL because base of all the database is same than it change at application level. Hope it will help you.

ronitmathurseo, Aug 22, 2012 IP
  8. sourabhsharma.obizm

sourabhsharma.obizm Peon

Best Answers:
    SQL is easy to learn. In oracle you also use sql queries.

sourabhsharma.obizm, Aug 24, 2012 IP
  9. ronitmathurseo

ronitmathurseo Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are right. But Oracle gives you functions to calculate with easy category. When Database gets tougher then SQL take shape in a lengthy program, Here Oracle gives you en built function to short the code. Thats one of the best benefit of Oracle(It is my opinion).

ronitmathurseo, Aug 24, 2012 IP
  10. Anton Kyivan

Anton Kyivan Peon

Best Answers:
    Oracle has more analytics tools, while SQL is only about database and little analytic opportunities.
    Also, check more BI solutions for large organizations and midmarket as well.

Anton Kyivan, Aug 31, 2012 IP
  11. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oracle is a database, SQL (it's an acronym, so it's all upper case) is a language. Is Chevy more powerful than English?

Rukbat, Aug 31, 2012 IP
  12. sweatseo

sweatseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    •The FIRST biggest difference: Transaction control. In Oracle EVERYTHING is a transaction and it is not permanent until you COMMIT. In SQL Server, there is (by default) no transaction control. An error half way through a stored procedure WILL NOT ROLLBACK the DDL in previous steps.

Obviously, if you wrap the TSQL DML in BEGIN TRANSACTION and COMMIT then it will roll back but this is rare in SQL Server code I've seen.
    •The SECOND biggest difference: MVCC. In SQL Server and Oracle is different. SQL Server will allow dirty reads, and writes can block reads in MS SQL (Again, it's configurable but the default in SQL Server is for performance and not read consistency, unlike Oracle where read consistency is default and unbendable.

sweatseo, Sep 1, 2012 IP
  13. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SQL Server is not SQL. In SQL you have exactly the same syntax as you have in Oracle, since you use SQL to communicate with Oracle.

Transactions are rare in SQL code altogether, since most people who write SQL aren't programmers, they're people who know how to do CRUD in SQL. SQL programmers use transactions wherever needed (including in SELECTs in some cases).

Rukbat, Sep 2, 2012 IP
  14. abhishekabhi

abhishekabhi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    HI

I think both are same because both are relational database.

abhishekabhi, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  15. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    abhishekabhi, SQL isn't a database, it's the language you use to communicate with (most) databases. It stand for Structured Query Language. "Microsoft SQL Server" isn't "SQL".

Rukbat, Sep 3, 2012 IP
  16. bonzoi

bonzoi Peon

Best Answers:
    >> MySQL is free and open source.
    Oracle is enterprise and expensive.

>> MySQL supports more type of table then oracle

>> MySQl is mostly used by development companies while big companies use oracle.

bonzoi, Sep 12, 2012 IP
  17. lolpasslol

lolpasslol Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually oracle more and more business oriented ,professional and essential for grite computing.

lolpasslol, Sep 23, 2012 IP
  18. briteday

briteday Active Member

Best Answers:
    This has probably been mentioned in this post many times... but, just in case.

SQL is a standard originated back in the late 1980's when IBM (In those days, IBM was Top of the Heap, and MS was insignificant) was promoting QBE (Query By Example) and SQL (Structured Query Language).

Oracle was one of the first and best to implement the standard. But, as time went on, as Vendors must always do, each different implementation needed to add vendor specific features in the marketing search for product differentiation.

So, (oh, by the way, I have been a SQL "guru" and SQL Developer/Administrator many times) I would say, learn the SQL standard inside and out, become an expert.

Everything else, as the saying goes, is icing on the cake. If you get a project that needs a specific version of SQL, then review the extra features and syntax.

If you are just taking your skills to a higher level. Oracle is a great choice. And, Oracle work tends to be one of those catch-22 situations where nobody wants you to do it until you have already done it! LOL! Good Luck!

But, learn the basics first and you can go for any SQL opportunity that comes your way.

briteday, Sep 23, 2012 IP
  19. Nyle Reme

Nyle Reme Peon

Best Answers:
    sql - Structured Query Language Oracle - It is a one type of DBMS software SQL -----

Sql is a comman language for DBMS,RDBMS,ORDBMS.It is a language used to query( insert/retrieve/delete/update) the records in database.

In this sql,sql plus are there.

It is a world widely accepted language for database.

Ex: c,c++

ORACLE

It is a software package, that is used to handle or to maintaine the databse.

It is a software to give the structure of database storage. * Oracle 7, Oralce 8, Oracle 8i, Oracle 9i, Oracle 11i are available in market. It is a company called" Oralce " to produce this software.

Ex: Turbo C, Borland C

Nyle Reme, Sep 29, 2012 IP
  20. Esolution

Esolution Active Member

Best Answers:
    Structure Query Language is program lanague used to communicate with data bases and oracle is data base

Esolution, Sep 29, 2012 IP