1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hosts using searchmagnified.com for third party network ads on your own domain?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by electroze, Aug 18, 2012.

Has anyone had a web host place third party ads on their site before without their permission?

I just signed up with Host Gator, was working on my site, when my site was removed and they replaced it with their own spammy ads - the same kind of spam that is against Google's TOS- on my domain. The spam links to a site called searchmagnified.com where they cloned my trademarked domain, showing on their site, linking back to my domain. It seems like gray hat search engine manipulation stuff and they are violating their own terms of service: "Examples of unacceptable material on all Shared and Reseller servers include: Banner-Ad services (commercial banner ad rotation)"

Anyone else had a problem with this. Is it legal/ethical for them to do this?

electroze, Aug 18, 2012 IP
  2. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    I would only assume your site was hacked by some one else. There should be no other ads on any paid hosting (including those for Hostagtor) except for those you have put yourself.

atxsurf, Aug 20, 2012 IP
  3. ironcladservers

ironcladservers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen paid hosts hijack 404 pages (on sites that don't have a custom one created), and I think I've seen HG place ads on the suspended page for suspended accounts. I think it's wrong myself, but I wouldn't say it means the OP got hacked.

electroze you removed the site from HG hosting servers but the DNS was still pointing to HG? Was the domain itself removed from HG servers?

ironcladservers, Aug 23, 2012 IP