1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long does it take to learn PHP?

Discussion in 'PHP' started by thesickearth, Aug 4, 2012.

I understand that there are idiots and geniuses, still what is the average number of hours/days to learn it well enough to do something useful?

thesickearth, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  2. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That is sort of an impossible question. Without taking into account former knowledge of coding, understanding of concepts etc. it's impossible to say.

What I can tell you is my own approach - I learned HTML & CSS simply because I wanted to make a fan page in the mid 90s. Then, after I got sick and tired of making and maintaining tens, if not hundreds of static HTML-pages, I decided I needed to go with PHP - and I sat down, and remade the whole thing in a couple weeks, using PHP, includes etc. However, this was not using any form of database (as the host I was using didn't offer it back then), so it was just flatfiles and includes.

After that, I started building my own CMS, and took over a couple websites and started improving on them - I haven't stopped learning yet, but I feel fairly confident I can build a site using PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS and jQuery in a few days, if I have to.

So, as far as learning time goes, it all depends on what exactly you want to learn, what you deem "useful" when it comes to results etc. What I suggest is that you have a goal in mind from the get-go - ie, something you want to end up with. Might also be good if you set your goals to something realistic - ie, better to have a goal like "create a webpage with interactive content users's can change/edit etc." than "make the new Facebook", if you know what I mean. If you have a goal, you'll find it a lot easier to incrementally learn what you need to know to reach that goal - just be aware that with all the pitfalls of creating anything in PHP/MySQL, you'll be rewriting that code at least 10 times before it's ready to publish.

PoPSiCLe, Aug 4, 2012 IP
    cronik likes this.
  3. writingwhiz

writingwhiz Peon

Best Answers:
    PoPSiCLe has excellent advice, and I learned it in a similar fashion, though I did have quite a bit of programming knowledge in JavaScript, HTML, Java, etc. going in.

I was looking to code a database I had in mind, and I learned PHP/MySQL in the process.

.... and all the rest is history! ;)

writingwhiz, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  4. ryogi

ryogi Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a professional trainer in PHP MySQL. It takes 20-30 hours for a person to learn procedural coding in PHP MySQL with practical examples. I assume a basic prograaming background for the candidate. refer w3schools.com for PHP learning. Let me know if you are interested in online tutor based training.

ryogi, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  5. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    I got no programming background aside of a few simple things in Pascal and Basic 20+ years ago. I just have a few ideas for websites and can't find a template I'd need/want. NOT the new facebook though. I'm open and willing to learn programming If I'd have to, is PHP a good thing to start at?

6. thesickearth

thesickearth Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you, I will consider this, but first I want to break a few spears of my own

7. lolpasslol

lolpasslol Peon

Best Answers:
    It's up to you.
    If you work hard and catch everything easily then you can learn so quickly ,
    otherwise it takes time.
    You need more practice and try to be regular in your practice,learn by heart .

lolpasslol, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  8. writingwhiz

writingwhiz Peon

Best Answers:
    Remember that there is absolutely no issue with referencing online materials (especially the manual at php.net) while you are writing code.

Professional programmers use these materials all the time; you don't need to memorize anything.

writingwhiz, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  9. kalis_race

kalis_race Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello popsicle

pls Can you tell me about which version using best in php???????????

kalis_race, Aug 4, 2012 IP
  10. gurpinder

gurpinder Guest

Best Answers:
    version 5 and best to learn online by using w3schools website.
    it also help you to run your code online.

gurpinder, Aug 6, 2012 IP
  11. assh319

assh319 Peon

Best Answers:
    No doubt PopSiCLe advice is excellent. almost i also learn that way.

assh319, Aug 11, 2012 IP
  12. Zinosi

Zinosi Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You should actually get a free 7 Day subscription of lynda.com! It'll help you a lot. If you want you can continue watching videos. Took a friend of mine 2-3 months to code decent PHP/Javascript.

Zinosi, Aug 11, 2012 IP
  13. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you know programming (algorithms, data structures, etc.) and another programming language, not long. In fact, if you're experienced, you can write quite a bit of PHP code by keeping the manual file open as you work - no "learning" at all. A lot of functions are where you'd expect to find them, and they work in a logical way.

If you don't have much experience (but know programming), you can become an inexperienced PHP programmer in about a week.

If you don't know programming, it depends on how long it takes you to learn programming, and how deeply you want to learn it. You can be writing code in a week or less, and you can become an experienced PHP programmer in ... well, I've been programming for about 40 years, and I'm still learning, so I can't give you an accurate figure yet.

Rukbat, Aug 11, 2012 IP
  14. damian_p

damian_p Peon

Best Answers:
    If you'd like an example... it took me 5 years ago about 2 months to learn it, at a level which I would have called back then "advanced". Right now, I think my level was actually medium, and I had to look in the manual every few minutes. If you want to know all the functions, that would take allot of experience and dedication, which I also think is uselss. I recommend you stick with learning the basic stuff, and a few important functions.

I think it shouldn't take you more than 3 months. But that varies based on how much time you can invest in it.

damian_p, Aug 11, 2012 IP
  15. seoexposure

seoexposure Peon

Best Answers:
    For learning PHP in a simple & quick way visit w3schools.com

seoexposure, Aug 12, 2012 IP
  16. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For visiting w3schools, please first see http://www.w3fools.com/

We don't need more bad code on the web, it has too much bad code already.

Rukbat, Aug 12, 2012 IP
  17. seoexposure

seoexposure Peon

Best Answers:
    Bro,I think you're Beginner of PHP & unable to earn single dollar with your incomplete knowledge.Better try to learn it completely & correctly.Don't waste your time for teaching experienced programmers like us.This is not a way you will reply on my answer.I suggest this site because it has lots of examples & easy to understand.I don't know what is bad code as per your mind & not interested to know.

seoexposure, Aug 13, 2012 IP
  18. Shiplu

Shiplu Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems you want to learn PHP but dont want to wait. only this will make someone ask a question like that.
    The duration completely depends on the intelligence level you have. If you have good IQ you'll learn it quick (sorry to bring IQ here). If not it'll take very long time or you'll never learn it.

Shiplu, Aug 13, 2012 IP
  19. seoexposure

seoexposure Peon

Best Answers:
    Shiplu,in all those answers.Your answer is really valuable.As it's totally depend upon his IQ.:)

seoexposure, Aug 13, 2012 IP
  20. lorrian

lorrian Banned

Best Answers:
    It depends on which language you know before starting php and how good you are at the logic, generally it takes many years to be expert in any language

lorrian, Aug 13, 2012 IP