1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

VPS or Cloud hosting? Which one should I buy? (Hostgator, GoDaddy, SingleHop....

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by тнє Sufi, Feb 22, 2012.

I have few websites with a high increasing daily traffic. I am currently hosting with hostgator in their shared server.
    Planning to buy a VPS or Cloud.
    I have four choices:
    1) VPS from Hostgator
    2) VPS from GoDaddy
    3) Cloud from SingleHop
    4) Cloud from Softlayer
    I need some suggestions or feedback from some experienced people, who are using or used any of their VPS/Cloud server.
    Which one should I choose? My budget is around $60-$70 per month.

тнє Sufi, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  2. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    Quality does matter to me. Sorry, I am not going with hostforweb.
    My first two choices are: hostgator and singlehop. But I am little bit confused about VPS and Cloud.

3. andrej

andrej Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't go with Godaddy hosting and I don't know the other 2 web hosts. I would probably go with Hostgator VPS.

andrej, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  4. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Aren't you glad these guys are answering your questions? ROFL!

Cloud...VPS...it isn't going to matter if you are with somebody reliable. Cloud should give you 100% uptime, in theory, outside of network disruptions, but a VPS with a quality company should get you pretty darn close to that as well. Cloud is normally going to give you failover protection, in which even if one server goes down, your site will still function, whereas a VPS is not going to have that.

Aside from that, you really aren't going to find too many differences. That said, cloud hosting has a tendency to be more expensive (with a good, reliable cloud provider) than a standard VPS, so you can probably get more bang for your buck with a standard VPS.

I personally would cross Hostgator off your list, and absolutely, positively do not go with Godaddy for anything other than domains. They are a great domain registrar, but terrible host.

SingleHop is VERY good. We have a few dedicated servers with them, and their network, equipment, and support are top notch. That said, I haven't used their cloud at all...just conventional dedicated servers. Softlayer is very well known in the industry and has a good reputation, generally. We had servers with them when they were ThePlanet, but have since left, due to various reasons. Have never tried their cloud services. There are many people happy with their services though.

WSWD, Feb 22, 2012 IP
    SolidShellSecurity likes this.
  5. faria.royle

faria.royle Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that may totally depends on your needs, but I think VPS from hostgator can do well too. But if you want to experience cloud then you can try singlehop.

But even hostgator VPS can do fine, and they basically use softlayer data center.

faria.royle, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  6. Ghan_04

Ghan_04 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Agreed about the cloud stuff - "cloud" is just a trumped-up marketing term designed to wow people into a product that is not well defined or understood. That being said, you should look into what kind of implementation a company actually has when they say they have a "cloud" setup so that you actually understand what you are getting.
    Personally I would recommend a VPS here - it sounds like you just need something fairly straightforward and reliable. I'd recommend looking at Linode (http://www.linode.com) - I have been using them for a couple of years now and their features and quality is unmatched by any other similar unmanaged provider out there.

Ghan_04, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  7. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    Surely I am glad that many people answering me, and I am thankful to all of you. Just a question, why would you like to remove hostgator from the list? I never used their VPS, so I do not have any idea with them. I have previously used hostforweb, and the quality of their service is not as much as hostgator (in shared hosting terms). I also heard about GoDaddy hosting, they are really terrible in hosting, so I just removed them from my list. Also heard about softlayer. They are great in dedicated server, but in their cloud server, users facing lots of downtime. I got all these information from different forum.

Thank you for your information. I will check out Linode.

8. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I was just referring to the people who are trying to promote their own companies, or who are affiliates for these companies, instead of answering your question. :D

As far as HostGator, I have never used them. I'm basing that one what I have heard from other people regarding their VPS/Dedicated Servers. I have been told by many reputable folk that their VPS and Dedicated servers (and the support associated with them) isn't quite the same as their shared/reseller hosting, which seems to be their specialty. Their prices are also way too high for what they offer.

WSWD, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  9. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    I am actually thinking about SingleHop. Had a conversation with them, also with some people, who are using their service. As far as I found, SingleHop service is good. So I want to give a try :D

10. ezbnc

ezbnc Peon

Best Answers:
    We currently use SingleHop public clouds the company is great support is fast, great network, and great employees. I have probably dealt with 5-10 separate employees and each have done a great job. They hit your price point also at $60 with cPanel.

ezbnc, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  11. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I saw your thread in WHT. My ID is thedct there :)

12. faria.royle

faria.royle Peon

Best Answers:
    I some how agree on what you're saying.

faria.royle, Feb 22, 2012 IP
  13. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    1) your budget is quite high, and would be enough for dedicated server not just VPS/cloud
    2) GoDaddy has a cloud (4GH) offering as well which you can get free for 1 year!

atxsurf, Jul 24, 2012 IP
  14. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    Using Cloud from SingleHop, since last few months. They are superb in one word.
    Hostgator is good for shared hosting, but not for VPS. They don't have their own data center as well.

A dedicated server with monthly $60-70 will be just wasting that money. I can not even dream a dedicated server in less than $150-200 monthly (obviously unmanaged). Visitor is growing heavily in my site. Going to give a try with Varnish. If that fails, then have to upgrade to some Private Cloud or Dedicated server :)

тнє Sufi, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  15. dumindushalika

dumindushalika Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What things you are mostly liked in SingleHop?
    How many sites and what kind of sites do you host with their cloud hosting?

dumindushalika, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  16. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    There support is great. Their virtual machine deployment time was also very fast. Network uptime is the main thing, and I did not get any downtime since start.

I am hosting several websites (not so heavy), with around 2000+ visitors each.

17. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    not exactly following you, you basically do not need $60/m budget for VPS/cloud and $60/m can get you a dedicated server which will be xx times more powerful than VPS/cloud

atxsurf, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  18. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    Can't agree with you. Quality does matter a lot. With $70/month it will be only crap instead of dedicated server.

19. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    if you call quad core that totally yours crap, than your obviously have not dealt enough with the sharedness of VPS/cloud

atxsurf, Jul 25, 2012 IP
  20. тнє Sufi

тнє Sufi Peon

Best Answers:
    quad core processor (assuming 2GB minimum RAM as well) for $70/monthly. impossible to maintain quality. check out some good hosts and their pricing. you will see the differences.
    a little comparison could be like this: hostgator, bluehost (etc) provides unlimited shared hosting for around $100 yearly. and you will also find lots of companies providing unlimited shared hosting in less than $30 yearly!