1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any guaranteed formula to getting listed in DMOZ ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by hanky_panky, Jun 23, 2012.

I submit my web site so many times to DMOZ directory but not a single time getting listed. I don't understand how this directory system works. Any one could give me any guaranteed way to get listed in this directory ? Please help me. Thank you.

hanky_panky, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There isn't one. It says so right there in the submission guidelines that you agree every time you suggest a website.

jimnoble, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  3. hanky_panky

hanky_panky Member

Best Answers:
    Yes thank you.

hanky_panky, Jun 23, 2012 IP
  4. albertpaulp

albertpaulp Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've agree their TOS 100% and my site is not spammy,ad targetted,have fresh content still they declined(Assumed declination because my site isn't listed since submission date(5 months) ) my submission.

albertpaulp, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  5. bigbearca

bigbearca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe your site isn't ugly enough.

bigbearca, Jul 17, 2012 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Send a note to Skrenta on how he got over TWENTY THOUSAND deep links of syndicated content listed (note these pages broke multiple guidelines)... there is most certainly a way editors are just not giving.

@albertpaulp: 5 months is not a very long time in the wait to get an ODP listing. Check back in 2018 and it may of been reviewed by then.

Qryztufre, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    When an editor volunteers to work in that area using their spare time and chooses to use suggestions as a resource, then the site will be reviewed and, if as you say, the site complies with guidelines, it will be listed.

But you can't tell me how long I will need to spend this week walking my dog, or taking the chance in the UK summer which has mostly deluged with rain to mow my lawn, or to research, through DMOZ of course, for that night away I need to take next month, or how long I will spend with my family,or how much of a laugh I need by reading some of the postings on Digital Point DMOZ section.....so if you nor I know how long that will take how can I know how long I will spend editing, and if you nor I know that about me then multiply that up by several hundred and you can see we have no idea when someone will edit that section. It might be tomorrow, net month, next year or......well your guess is as good as mine.

Anonymously, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Are you sure?
    and you can not say that all sites will be reviewed now can you? I mean, if none of the editors have to actually do anything, and the suggestion pool is just an option for finding sites, potentially some sites will never ever be looked at by anyone within the editing community.

But you are right, no one can tell you what is best for the directory or its end users, and even if they did you would never ever bother to listen.

Qryztufre, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  9. kanike

kanike Peon

Best Answers:
    kanike, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  10. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes he wrote it back in 2010, when Google was still using DMOZ.

Are you going to quote posts on how to Optimize Windows 95 next?

joeventura, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35624

march 9th 2012...

Though they have stopped suggesting that people even bother with the ODP, and have also stopped bothering to keep their google clone.

The ONLY reason they use it is if there is no way for them to get a snippet from the page without the DMOZ description. Yes, you can use the NOODP tag, but what works better is to have a worthy page...as using the NOODP tag, and having relevant description tags is kinda like pointless.

All in all, if you have a good optimized page for the end user, NO google does NOT use the ODP.

As for them using ODP data to assist in their search results, a link is a link is a link, end of story... though the clones are dropping from google results like flies, and in many cases unless you are looking for an ODP description, DMOZ can even be hard to find at times. So it's certainly not what it used to be even just two years ago.

Qryztufre, Jul 19, 2012 IP
  12. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    And even in 2010, this guy was half a decade behind the time already.

helleborine, Jul 22, 2012 IP
  13. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    no 1 can guarantee listed on DMOZ.
    it's depend your Luck and Editor at your Category activity.

suwandichen13, Jul 24, 2012 IP
  14. GooglePUNCHER

GooglePUNCHER Peon

Best Answers:
    I wish there was a sure way.. they should have gone paid a long time ago. Would have made big bucks.

GooglePUNCHER, Jul 24, 2012 IP
  15. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And lost many of it's volunteer editors who put in many hours of voluntary work. But if it had gone down the paid route, it would probably have finished up like Zeal directory, which worked on paid editors for commercial paid suggestions and volunteers for voluntary projects. It was DMOZ's largest rival and it went out of business.

DMOZ is a project run by hobbyists and it always will be. So long as people want to collect and collate sites for their hobby, DMOZ will continue. But you want a directory that had or has (depends on your point of view and the discussion is on here in many threads) the kudos that came with it being free and carefully edited, but want to make it paid which would always have killed any kudos it had or has.

Anonymously, Jul 25, 2012 IP