1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is quality score done by account?

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Val_Resnik, Nov 19, 2006.

Or does it have any account component? As an experiment, I made a few spammy adwords campaigns with clickbank and ran them for about a week. The quality scores on those pages were horrible. Please tell me when I start a campaign for my 100% legitimate awesome content site, Google won't give me a low quality score because of my previous campaigns.

Val_Resnik, Nov 19, 2006 IP
  2. ohadgliksman

ohadgliksman Peon

Best Answers:
    I am pretty sure that it is campaign based and has nothing to do with your account. A quick tip: When starting a new campaign that has no performance history, you should start bidding higher to get some sort of "reputation"

ohadgliksman, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  3. Val_Resnik

Val_Resnik Peon

Best Answers:
    Can you elaborate on this a bit?

Val_Resnik, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  4. ohadgliksman

ohadgliksman Peon

Best Answers:
    As a new campaign has no performance history, we want it to quickly gather one. The 2 major parameters of the quality score are CTR and bid price. While we cannot affect CTR right from the start, I found out that setting the bid higher gives you a good quality score to start with. After running several campaigns this way, I can testify that it does seem to help with the quality score and with the available volume (which is also a critical factor for campaign success)

5. Val_Resnik

Val_Resnik Peon

Best Answers:
    Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a high quality score, which is to be able to bid very low?

Val_Resnik, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  6. ohadgliksman

ohadgliksman Peon

Best Answers:
    It only works short term. long term requires CTR rates and the unknown factor of landing page quality score

7. fastimprovement

fastimprovement Peon

Best Answers:
    Also, quality works in several ways ...

... you have quality scores for keyword performance (CTR)
    ... you have quality scores for keyword relevance (how it relates to your landing page)
    ... you have quality scores for landing page, erm, 'quality' (e.g is it purely a MFA site, or does it provide 'suitable' content)

There's now a need to take a total holistic approach to 'quality' and how it relates to your Adwords campaigns.

H

fastimprovement, Nov 20, 2006 IP
  8. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sadly, it is account level.

Quality Score is just the inverse of the min bid and vice-versa:

Micromag, Nov 21, 2006 IP
    ohadgliksman likes this.
  9. ohadgliksman

ohadgliksman Peon

Best Answers:
    Micromag,
    Glad to have you around

ohadgliksman, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  10. GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago Permanent Peon

Best Answers:
    You sure about that? I've been told by my various Google reps that quality score is assigned at the keyword level. Looking over my accounts also lead me to believe that to be true.

GuyFromChicago, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  11. catchafire

catchafire Guest

Best Answers:
    The official party line from google:

Quality score is at the keyworld level only. (or adgroup for content network)

However, a little birdie (who heard it from a little google birdie) told me that quality score for search is determined at the keyword level and account level. The account level quality score is made up of overall keyword scores and spend.

catchafire, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  12. Micromag

Best Answers:
    Yes, both are correct:

It is assigned at keyword level and this history affect this same keyword in any place you have this keyword in this same account (not only the campaign). For example if you have the keyword:

tennis shoes

on a Campaign A, this quality score will not affect any other different keyword Quality Score on the account (keyword level). But if you decide to delete this keyword from Campaign A and place it to Campaign B, the Quality Score History will remain the same (Account Level Quality Score) ~ this is what Val_Resnik is asking and this is what I quote from from the help topic.

This occurs due the System uses a common CTR history for the account, you can delete the keyword from one point and add it to another campaign but it will remain - the exception for the Quality Score changes are it you point a different landing page but CTR history will be the same.

A step further is If you use different matching options like:

tennis shoes

"tennis shoes"

[tennis shoes]

it will split 3 different histories for them.

But if you use broad inverses like:

tennis shoes

shoes tennis

it will use the same CTR% no matter if both keywords are in different campaigns or not.

Next month I'll beta test the Quality Score Column in AdGroup Detail (I've been invited by Google), if you wish I can do some experiments as I'll be able to see Quality Score for each keyword in real time. So I can confirm if this is true or not.

13. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Ahh, we're saying the same thing. I thought you were saying something different in relation to account level quality scores. I read the thread quickly and thought you were implying that a poor quality score for "tennis shoes" in campaign A would somehow have a negative impact on "dog food" in campaign B.

Keep us posted on that quality score beta, should be interesting.

GuyFromChicago, Nov 21, 2006 IP
  14. Micromag

Best Answers:
    yes, I'm very excited about it - as soon it begin I'll post here some pics ;)

15. kevingibbons

kevingibbons Guest

Best Answers:
    kevingibbons, Nov 21, 2006 IP
    GuyFromChicago likes this.
  16. Val_Resnik

Val_Resnik Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, that is exactly what I was asking about. Apparently a bad "tennis shoe" QS on campaign A has no bearing on your "dog food" QS on campaign B. Good news for me, because my spammy adwords experience has nothing to do with the subject of my legit content site.

Val_Resnik, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  17. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    That's a nice summary/presentation. I wish people would site sources or clearly identify what is fact and what is theory.

I have been told by numerous Google AdWords reps that spend is not a quality score factor and in no way shape or form influences the quality score associated with an account.

Can't wait to see how it goes for you. Good stuff man. Keep us posted.

If it is a factor in the quality score it's a pretty poor one to use imo.

DP is the spot if you need AdWords answers:) Best of luck with your campaign(s)!

GuyFromChicago, Nov 22, 2006 IP
  18. JJ_McClure

JJ_McClure Peon

Best Answers:
    It is on the account level in the sense that when future quality algorithms are run, if your account has been affected before, it will be checked again.

It does not outright punish your ads because they are in your account but it does keep an eye on them more than an account that has never been affected.

I have found out many interesting things about this elsewhere such as why it is called "quality" and where this is headed in the near future. You'll have to search to find it yourselves.

JJ

JJ_McClure, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  19. GuyFromChicago

Best Answers:
    Do share. I've some some interesting theories and speculation, nothing worth repeating though.

GuyFromChicago, Nov 24, 2006 IP
  20. vai_lee

vai_lee Peon

Best Answers:
    NOT.

IT is website level.

vai_lee, Nov 25, 2006 IP