1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Yahoo! Appoints Marissa Mayer as CEO

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by cyndrella, Jul 16, 2012.

Marissa Mayer left Google where she has worked for the past 13 years to take the top job at Yahoo.During her 13 years at Google, Marissa held numerous positions, including engineer, designer, product manager, and executive, and launched more than 100 well-known features and products the unadorned white search homepage, Gmail, Google News and Google Images.

Great move by Yahoo, and predictable loss by Google :rolleyes:

cyndrella, Jul 16, 2012 IP
  2. cyndrella

cyndrella Active Member

Best Answers:
    How could you say that it does not make any difference to Google ? It's a great loss for Google , as Mayer was personally responsible for some of Google’s most iconic products. She is not just like a normal Google Employee .She was on Google’s operating committee as one of the senior executives most trusted by Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin.She has been one of the most publicly visible spokespeople for the company, giving press interviews and speaking at events.

A statement from Larry Page:

“Since arriving at Google just over 13 years ago as employee #20, Marissa has been a tireless champion of our users. She contributed to the development of our Search, Geo, and Local products. We will miss her talents at Google.”

cyndrella, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  3. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its a massive loss for Google,it will be a tough job for her to steer Yahoo as they appear to be lost at the meomnet and not really sure in what direction to move forward.

Mega B, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  4. brandy101

brandy101 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's just why they need her badly. I'm curios though how much this costs Yahoo!. A talent like that can't come cheep.

brandy101, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  5. dess71

dess71 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe she will restore yahoo to its previous position. Yahoo your day may have come but please after you rise up once again, be fair to us affiliates!

dess71, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  6. Brother Hassan

Brother Hassan Member

Best Answers:
    Kind of unloyal for her to leave Google like that though =|

Brother Hassan, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  7. brandy101

brandy101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I'm sure it was worth her while. But still leaving a company after 13 years must have been difficult to do. Something like this always just give rise to gossip.

8. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well to get the best you have to dig deep into the firms pockets and pay up,most people are not aware that while at Google she was given share options and i assume she has cash them in to the value of $300 million so she is not short of money.While Yahoo is in limbo at the moment and loosing market share it has to be seen as a wise investment if she can steer the company into better times,gut feeling tells me she will be on around a 7 figure salary but she will also get a fair stock options package that is linked into how the company performs over the next few years and that is the one that will be make or break for her.

At Google she was a great talent but never achieved top slot but at Yahoo she has the No1 slot and to a certain extent total control,the thing that concerns me is as i understand it she is pregnent so how they will address that situation with possible time off but they must have been aware of it before hiring her.

Mega B, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  9. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    13 years at one job is anything but unloyal. most employees are lucky to stick with one job for 2 years.

dcristo, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  10. andrekhrisna

andrekhrisna Active Member

Best Answers:
    Monsterous size company like Google will only face a little loss with this event.
    And i wonder if Yahoo could even do anything to retain their position before Google.
    Yahoo services are not focused.
    There are so many things in Yahoo Homepage.
    Yahoo Mail is way too slow.
    Yahoo search engine results are not good too.
    Yahoo can never surpasses Google.

andrekhrisna, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  11. Brother Hassan

Brother Hassan Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah but to stay with one company for such a long period and than run away to their competitor ?

Brother Hassan, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  12. daiarian

daiarian Peon

Best Answers:
    How much valuable Google knowhow will be transfered to Yahoo, will Google be looking over their shoulders.

Watch this space folks

daiarian, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  13. JPC-Sabrina

JPC-Sabrina Member

Best Answers:
    I imagine that after 13 years with Google that she has a few tricks up her sleeve not to mention a ton of experience and most likely some potential plans and ideas which she has already presented to Yahoo. Yahoo is one of the large remaining engines that even has a chance to diminish the returns of Google. A new solid head at the helm could be just what Yahoo needs to turn the market and the searches in their direction. There are plenty of users who are just waiting for a great new product so that they can abandon Google altogether.

JPC-Sabrina, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  14. workingsmart

workingsmart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not for nothing - it's in Google's best interest for Yahoo! to stay afloat and become a bit more successful than in recent history. If Yahoo! fails, Google could be labeled a "Monopoly" and in the U.S. - the Government could force Google to split it's divisions into separate companies as a result.

Allowing, or sending, Marissa to reinvigorate Yahoo!'s - extremely troublesome - board of directors will only allow for Google to get better competition.

She will not gain much more than she already has as her net worth is in the $300 million range and I'm sure Yahoo! is paying, a bit more than her Google salary.

Reason that I believe it's a funny situation or at least - a planned situation - is that when you work at a company that big and that forward thinking, there is usually a no compete clause which keeps you working for a competitor for a set amount of time. It strikes me being odd that Google employee #20 didn't have any such clause or agreement in place with the most prolific internet company as of yet.

I look forward to watching this unfold over the next few years!! :)

Should prove interesting....

workingsmart, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  15. kanike

kanike Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think leaving after 13 years is unloyal!! After being made redundant 3 times in my life I came to realise that to companies you are only a number. When it comes down to it they couldn't care less about you they only have their eyes on the money at the end of the day. And she didn't do too badly in that respect also - she gave 13 years and they gave $300. So she certainly didn't leave for the money- from what I've read even though she was with google for 13 years she knew she was never going to make ceo. I think she left for that firstly, and of course the challenge of pulling yahoo up be by the bootstaps and getting it back in a position of power

kanike, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  16. brandy101

brandy101 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, i think your right. At google she was probably just one of many talented people, and if after 13 years the company still woudn't make her ceo, then it was the right move for her to leave. Now at Y! she can show what she's made of, if she really has what it takes.

17. Digital_lover

Digital_lover Member

Best Answers:
    I am also agree with this concept. Google is the best search engine ever and the G mail is also good.

Digital_lover, Sep 15, 2012 IP