1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Everything you need to know about DMOZ/ODP is contained in this message

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by joeventura, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Yeah, I am laughing as well.... whats it been, two years or more and the ODP can't get around to getting off their lazy asses and reject or accept me. HAHAHAHA... yeah, lets all laugh at the slow dinosaur called DMOZ!

Though taking what I said and pointing it back to me is what, a diversion? I assume you are trying to redirect my post back at myself because you don't have a leg to stand on while defending the ODP, as all one has to to do is look at the guidelines & helpfiles on dmoz.org itself to know that it does not care about itself and that it's stuck years and years in the past.... and that much of what it shares is so outdated it's turned itself into half truths and lies.

But yes, lets talk about me shal we? What I have done that's actually been wrong or laughable? I applied to become an editor, listed my own site... nothing to see here folks, well within the guidelines. I didn't treat my own listing "special" and it's still there, so it certainly was listable. I left on moral grounds, and then later swallowed my pride and reapplied.... so I could try to make changes from the inside..... so, erm, working within the norms, how am I laughable? Are you laughing because the ODP has taken YEARS to bother actually getting back with me on a yes or no? Cuz in a way, that is funny...

Qryztufre, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  2. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Q: I'll put you out of your misery.

Your hostile opinions about ODP and behaviour before, during and following your brief editorship didn't go unnoticed. The consequence was that nobody with the power to do so was prepared to advocate your reinstatement. It was thus denied.

jimnoble, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Thats not how karma works... but sure thing, thanks for letting me know. It's good to know!

Though, isnt there an auto-reply function for such things?

Qryztufre, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not that Wikipedia is a bullet proof accurate resource, but see Wikipedia:Karma :).

jimnoble, Jul 10, 2012 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    ahhh... yeah, thats how western karma is said to work, but we bastardize everything. Though, if you are gunna go by that, the ODP has a thing or three coming don't it ;)

Qryztufre, Jul 10, 2012 IP
  6. WeTry

WeTry Peon

Best Answers:
    In 2007 we did sites for a local plumber, a national consultant, and an artist, and managed to get all three listed in DMOZ. All sites started out in the G top 20. The plumber and consultant, got about 2% of their traffic from DMOZ... The artist got 50%! This traffic was always 100% new visitors with a low bounce rate.

Am glad we did. Those were the last sites we have been able to list in DMOZ. Back then DMOZ ripoffs were non-existent and social networks were just getting started (there was no G+).

We reworked all three sites in early 2010, and all retained their Google ranking until later that year. The plumber is still #28 in Google but the other two don't show in the top 100. DMOZ traffic is less than 1% on the plumber and consultant sites, but the artist's site is getting 50% of her traffic from DMOZ! She received a commission from a buyer in Australia last year that accounted for 75% of her income, and I feel DMOZ got that ball rolling.

Got a back link report last week that showed her DMOZ link as a do-follow link with Domain PR8 and PagePR4. Maybe Google isn't treating that link like they used to, but it can't hurt.

Meanwhile, my plumber is holding #28 with 150 back links against competition that has 10,000+ from some real rinkydink sources...

All 3 sites are due for an overhaul... I'm not going to play link-chase... I would like DMOZ listings, but not going to lose sleep about it. Have been experimenting with Content, Industry Forums, Focused Social Networks and a means of showing the site owner that his site is working. Really don't care where the G rank is if we can get traffic that sticks around, with a low bounce rate that results in sales for the client.

I'll be a lot smarter six months from now (I hope).

WeTry, Jul 14, 2012 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  7. joeventura

joeventura Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

It's 2012 now, no one will get the same results you did.

joeventura, Jul 16, 2012 IP
  8. albertpaulp

albertpaulp Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it is the largest and most genuine human edited Directory,So Google still accept data from DMOZ to rank pages,DMOZ is still a no-go for low quality,spammy websites.

albertpaulp, Jul 17, 2012 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Have you been on the internet lately?

Many links within the ODP have a PR of ZERO, so if google uses OPD data for page ranking, it does not give it much weight. And as for it being a no-go for low quality sites, have you rummaged through many categories? They certainly have their share.

Now genuine? L . O . L .

They have thousands upon thousands of pages listed by a bot... so unless you are calling bots human, the ODP is not as genuine as they claim.

Qryztufre, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  10. joeventura

Best Answers:
    [​IMG]

joeventura, Jul 18, 2012 IP
  11. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Translation: artist visited his own site once a year.

helleborine, Jul 20, 2012 IP
  12. joeventura

Best Answers:
    That is probably exactly the case!!

joeventura, Jul 27, 2012 IP
  13. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Are you still trying to compensate for your failure in life by appearing all mighty in DMOZ?

super-retard.JPG-470x354.jpg

Yes, we get it. You are the Superman. :)

gworld, Aug 16, 2012 IP