1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is anyone doing this?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Michael Baptiste, Jul 7, 2012.

When a hit pop songs comes out, or any genre...is anyone reserving the name of
    that new song as their domain name? I thinks its a great idea that can build
    a large list (if your site has lead magnet, or exit splash) and attract a lot of traffic
    if used right. Let me know what you think of this idea.

Michael Baptiste, Jul 7, 2012 IP
  2. Cybercon

Cybercon Active Member

Best Answers:
    Cybercon, Jul 7, 2012 IP
  3. skidkoy

skidkoy Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with Cybercon. Beware legal issues! Also, the song may be popular for a month and your site may have a value for 3 months, but what then? You are stuck with dozens of useless sites.

skidkoy, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  4. TheDuke2011

TheDuke2011 Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah many people are actually doing this especially for other things that are brandable as well. Just be careful not to run into trademark issues as stated above.

TheDuke2011, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  5. aweks777

aweks777 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Give a try for a few months and let us know.

aweks777, Jul 9, 2012 IP
  6. livingmylife

livingmylife Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I never thought of that and I think it could be a great strategy as long as you don't get yourself into trouble with legal and trademark issues as mentioned above. I also agree that the site may only be popular for a short time. But as long as you know that going in you can probably make some quick money and then move onto the next project or revamp your site and monetize it another way afterwards maybe. Good luck!

livingmylife, Jul 15, 2012 IP
  7. atxsurf

atxsurf Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, also don't overestimate the value of the exact keyword match of the domain without matching content and appropriate backlinks as you might get very little of traffic or not at all

atxsurf, Jul 15, 2012 IP
  8. Jestuh

Jestuh Member

Best Answers:
    Definitely only do this if the terms are generic. If there are any unique spellings or a specific non-common phrase, you will be shut down quickly. Generics have been proven safe in court when people were doing the same thing with movie titles. The studios lost, which is why a lot of movies are now movietitlemovie.com so they can trademark it.

Jestuh, Jul 29, 2012 IP
  9. DomainsOfDesire

DomainsOfDesire Peon

Best Answers:
    "call me maybe .com" sold for over $4000 in ebay auction and that too without reserve.

DomainsOfDesire, Aug 18, 2012 IP